The Student Room Group

How did Year 10's do in GCSE Science?

Just wondering how the year 10 science unit 1 gcse results went. I got a D in physics and science coursework, but luckily I passed in biology and chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
[delete]
(edited 8 years ago)
C1- awaiting results (they're coming through the post either today or tomorrow)
C2- awaiting results
C3- awaiting results
ISA- A*
i got 69;c for physics, 70;b for chemistry, 67;c for biology and 53;d for the controlled assesment. are they out of 100 each ? and was i a few marks short of a b for physics and biology ?
Reply 4
Same as Janita.
I'm still awaiting my results. The results day was yesterday. However, I forgot as it's been so long, until I found yesterday afternoon, realizing that my schools results day was from 9-12.

If I had to be honest, I think I did horrendous in both Chemistry and Physics.

I got an A in the ISA, which I'm happy about, so if I fail Physics or Chemistry, it can boost my overall grade up.

Biology was easy, I hope to get at least a B.

My personal prediction of what I got:
Biology = B/C
Chemistry = C/D
Physics = D (C, If I'm lucky)

ISA = A (Official Grade)

(These are not my official results (apart from ISA, just what I think I got)

Anyone who knows the overall grade, would be helpful.

I'm not really a science person. As you can tell. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lovaticfordemi
i got 69;c for physics, 70;b for chemistry, 67;c for biology and 53;d for the controlled assesment. are they out of 100 each ? and was i a few marks short of a b for physics and biology ?

I thought each paper was out of 60, well mine was.
Then again, it depends on which exam board you did.
I did AQA.
Reply 6
I'm still waiting for my results..hopefully they'll come through the post tomorrow. I got an A in my ISA but then It went to a high B..so can I still get a B overall if I get a C on Biology, Chemistry and Physics? I worked my butt of for these exams..I revised for them starting from February :frown: I was forced to do foundation btw..if I get a B overall they'll let me do higher for additional.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Grade
I did AQA.

It is, those aren't the marks, that's the UMS. I think almost everyone who did their exams in June year 10 did AQA.
Reply 8
[delete]
(edited 8 years ago)
I managed to get an A* overall :biggrin:

ISA - A* (100)
Biology - A* (98)
Physics - A* (91)
Chemistry - A (83) That exam was hard, ugh :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Grade
I did AQA.

ahh mine was OCR
Reply 11
[deleted]
(edited 8 years ago)
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Was this additional science mock examinations or what?
Reply 14
[deleted]
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Core..? I did Additional this year...I'm lost O.O
Original post by esfio
Nice O_O
Mind sharing revision tips?

I would, except that I don't really have any?!

I suppose I make flash cards of pretty much every piece of information that I can find for each subject, which helps a lot when I actually use them, but generally I just have a naturally good memory so I tend to memorise the mark schemes of past papers and sections from revision guides.

For ISAs, which I don't know whether or not you have to do for Additional + Further science, but if you do, then all I did really for that was to memorise the old mark schemes given to me by my teachers, which gives you the right techniques that you need to use and the things that you need to include in your answers, and to put in as many of the science keywords as I possibly could throughout.

I think doing as many past papers as possible helps a lot - you start to see patterns in the questions that come up and there are really only so many questions they can ask from a certain amount of information - as well as using the information in revision guides to write out your own questions to come back to, which helps you to remember the information.

There are also videos on 'MyGCSEScience' which I found really helpful. They help to explain things really clearly, particularly if there is anything that you're unsure about, although they can be quite long winded and trying to watch them all over a short period of time like I did is definitely a bad idea. My brain almost melted.

Just making sure to manage your time helps a lot. It might seem like a good idea to start revising properly only a couple of weeks in advance of the exams, but personally I find that all that does is make me feel really pressured and stressed out, especially when you have quite a few exams over a really short expanse of time, so It's a good idea to have at least some revision going on for a couple of months in advance. It doesn't have to be a lot; even just a small amount of revision is really helpful! Also, try to focus more on the things that you don't understand. I spent a lot of time on Biology this year because I find it interesting and it's pretty easy for me, but what I should have done in hindsight is to spend more time on chemistry past papers, because I knew that I found that subject much more difficult.

I hope that helps a little, presuming that you meant just for science?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by LavishLinguist
I would, except that I don't really have any?!

I suppose I make flash cards of pretty much every piece of information that I can find for each subject, which helps a lot when I actually use them, but generally I just have a naturally good memory so I tend to memorise the mark schemes of past papers and sections from revision guides.

For ISAs, which I don't know whether or not you have to do for Additional + Further science, but if you do, then all I did really for that was to memorise the old mark schemes given to me by my teachers, which gives you the right techniques that you need to use and the things that you need to include in your answers, and to put in as many of the science keywords as I possibly could throughout.

I think doing as many past papers as possible helps a lot - you start to see patterns in the questions that come up and there are really only so many questions they can ask from a certain amount of information - as well as using the information in revision guides to write out your own questions to come back to, which helps you to remember the information.

There are also videos on 'MyGCSEScience' which I found really helpful. They help to explain things really clearly, particularly if there is anything that you're unsure about, although they can be quite long winded and trying to watch them all over a short period of time like I did is definitely a bad idea. My brain almost melted.

Just making sure to manage your time helps a lot. It might seem like a good idea to start revising properly only a couple of weeks in advance of the exams, but personally I find that all that does is make me feel really pressured and stressed out, especially when you have quite a few exams over a really short expanse of time, so It's a good idea to have at least some revision going on for a couple of months in advance. It doesn't have to be a lot; even just a small amount of revision is really helpful! Also, try to focus more on the things that you don't understand. I spent a lot of time on Biology this year because I find it interesting and it's pretty easy for me, but what I should have done in hindsight is to spend more time on chemistry past papers, because I knew that I found that subject much more difficult.

I hope that helps a little, presuming that you meant just for science?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, great tips.
I'm already aware of how to revise, the thing is I don't, and when I do, I revise really late.

One mistake of mine, was I made a pact to start revising for the Science Exams in April (From Easter Halfterm, two months before the exam). I did so, for a week, and I got bored, as it was so long, so I stopped. Then I had Science GCSE Mocks, three weeks before the real exam to get us into the "spirit" of the real thing. I revise three days before for these exams. Came out with two C's (Physics and Chemistry) and a D in Biology. Getting a C in Chemistry was more of an achievement, as I suck at it.

My second regret was not sticking to my revision time table, during the one week May Half term, I would of been able to revise a ton, in that ten days. However, in all fairness, my family members didn't help. I had to scream at them to keep quiet.

Overall, I started revising for the real Biology exam five days before, on the Sunday, I have a good memory, so I memorized the whole book, in four days. I came out of that Biology exam confident (not too cocky, I haven't gotten my results yet :biggrin:).

Then the remaining weekend, I split my hours revising for both Chemistry and Physics. I revise hardest for Physics as I was more confident. Then to find out that was the hardest and worst Physics paper ever.
The topics were very unbalanced (no Big Bang, Red Shift, etc.) So I ended up probably failing.

As for Chemistry, I revised emulsifiers, Fractional Distillation and the Earth.
Emulsifiers didn't really bother making it into the exam, as did Fractional Distillation.
Overall, the paper was easier than Physics, and that's saying something. I think I got a very low C if I am lucky.

Sorry, for rambling on, telling you my life story.
Thanks for the revision tips. I've been inspired to make the days count, rather than count the days.

Well done on your results, btw. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Grade
Wow, great tips.
I'm already aware of how to revise, the thing is I don't, and when I do, I revise really late.

One mistake of mine, was I made a pact to start revising for the Science Exams in April (From Easter Halfterm, two months before the exam). I did so, for a week, and I got bored, as it was so long, so I stopped. Then I had Science GCSE Mocks, three weeks before the real exam to get us into the "spirit" of the real thing. I revise three days before for these exams. Came out with two C's (Physics and Chemistry) and a D in Biology. Getting a C in Chemistry was more of an achievement, as I suck at it.

My second regret was not sticking to my revision time table, during the one week May Half term, I would of been able to revise a ton, in that ten days. However, in all fairness, my family members didn't help. I had to scream at them to keep quiet.

Overall, I started revising for the real Biology exam five days before, on the Sunday, I have a good memory, so I memorized the whole book, in four days. I came out of that Biology exam confident (not too cocky, I haven't gotten my results yet :biggrin:).

Then the remaining weekend, I split my hours revising for both Chemistry and Physics. I revise hardest for Physics as I was more confident. Then to find out that was the hardest and worst Physics paper ever.
The topics were very unbalanced (no Big Bang, Red Shift, etc.) So I ended up probably failing.

As for Chemistry, I revised emulsifiers, Fractional Distillation and the Earth.
Emulsifiers didn't really bother making it into the exam, as did Fractional Distillation.
Overall, the paper was easier than Physics, and that's saying something. I think I got a very low C if I am lucky.

Sorry, for rambling on, telling you my life story.
Thanks for the revision tips. I've been inspired to make the days count, rather than count the days.

Well done on your results, btw. :smile:

Haha, thanks :smile:

It's nice to know that my tips will help you at least a little! :smile:

I learned the hard way that it's best to revise in advance - I did weeks of biology, but left physics and chemistry until two days before the exams, despite knowing that I found them both significantly harder and regretted it immensely. Being a ball of stress is not one of my favourite pastimes :/

I actually found the physics paper relatively easy compared to some of the past papers that I had done, yet I really struggled with them chemistry because of how a lot of the questions were phrased and because all of the topics that came up were the ones that I really didn't want and had only really briefly glossed over. I thought I had failed chemistry!

Good look on your results too! I'm sure you'll have done great, especially if you came out of the biology exam feeling confident!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by STUDYREVISE
ISA - A*
Biology - C - 1 ums from a B
Physics - C - 1 ums from a B
Chemistry - B
I didn't do well at all, I know.

You did really well! You have no reason to be disappointed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest