The Student Room Group

Is it worth going to the doctors for bad skin?

Basically, is it?

I have really bad skin and no matter what I do it won't clear, I see everyone with clear skin and nice skin and it gets me so down.

I've tried every skincare routine, I've even tried leaving it alone with no skincare products, I've got a good diet, I drink water. You name it i've tried it.

I can't cope anymore, it really upsets me.

Is it worth going to the doctors or will they just say theres nothing they can do?

Scroll to see replies

Go to the doctors, from experience it's worth it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Yes it's necessary! If it's ruining your confidence, it could ruin your life.
Reply 3
acne? i had to go to doctor once for contact dermatitis, in your case you can if you want
Go to the doctors. Diet and water will only get you so far, if anywhere.

The doctor will probably prescribe you both tablets and ointment and you may need to try various ones before your skin improves. Be persistent, it pays off.... Even if you end up at the dermatologist like I did.

I suffered acne for 10 years and it was ****.
Go to the doctors, they may refer you to a dermatologist if necessary.

After my doctor prescribed me antibiotics/ creams for my acne, it wasn't effective so they referred me to a dermatologist. They then suggested Roaccutane, but due to the serious side effects my mum didn't want me on it so then I just decided to leave it because there wasn't anything effective enough :P

So now I'm just dealing with it, I've gone past the point of caring though as I've dealt with it for so damn long, haha. Acne sucks though.
Yes.

Also if you don't mind me asking what skincare have you tried?

I work on beauty and have a bit of knowledge about this so can advise
Reply 7
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Yes.

Also if you don't mind me asking what skincare have you tried?

I work on beauty and have a bit of knowledge about this so can advise

Well i've tried pretty much every brand you can think of that you can buy in superdrug/boots etc

I've been prescribed with some tablets before from the doctors and that didn't work.
Original post by Anonymous
Well i've tried pretty much every brand you can think of that you can buy in superdrug/boots etc

I've been prescribed with some tablets before from the doctors and that didn't work.

What actual routine have you tried?

And what's your skin type?

Because I have a feeling you've been using products with alcohol in which make it worse, or tea tree and witch hazel. While marketed as good for acne what they do is strip the skin of oil, so the skin overcompensates and makes more which exacerbates the problem
Are you female, OP?

I've also tried every brand you can think of. The ingredients in over the counter products often aren't strong enough or effective enough to make any real difference. My advice is to stop wasting your money. I dread to think what I've spent over the years.
What actual routine have you tried?

And what's your skin type?

Because I have a feeling you've been using products with alcohol in which make it worse, or tea tree and witch hazel. While marketed as good for acne what they do is strip the skin of oil, so the skin overcompensates and makes more which exacerbates the problem

I have a cleanser, toner and moisturizer.

I don't use products with alcohol in them and i have normal skin type
Original post by rachel.h
Are you female, OP?

I've also tried every brand you can think of. The ingredients in over the counter products often aren't strong enough or effective enough to make any real difference. My advice is to stop wasting your money. I dread to think what I've spent over the years.

Yeah i'm female!

I'm not buying any other over the counter stuff cause I'm just wasting my money for no change at all.
I have a cleanser, toner and moisturizer.

I don't use products with alcohol in them and i have normal skin type

Okay first what I recommend is you double cleanse. Cleanse your skin with baby oil (it will NOT block your pores, that's a myth) to remove the dirt.

Then wash your face with a foaming or cream cleanser.

After that you want to tone with something really gentle.

Then you want a serum. You want to be careful here, you want one for your skin type. I use one for dry skin, if your main problem is acne I'd go for anti redness. Be wary of "anti acne" products - they usually have astringents in them

Then an eye cream, this is your choice

Then a moisturiser, again anti redness

You also want to chemically exfoliate every other day with nip fab glycolic pads.

If you do this as well as see a GP, I expect your skin will improve a lot :smile:
Reply 13
PLEASE go to the doctor. Don't leave it too long because it will only get worse. (I have experience). If your skin is really bad you will be referred to a dermatologist. Go to your doc and be adamant about being referred to a dermatologist. I'm seeing a dermatologist and my skin is much better.
Yes go! I've been numerous times in my life. I've been prescribed creams and antibiotics which worked well, it's worth a shot. Nothing to lose really. Sometimes acne needs to be treated from the inside, most over the counter products (freederm I'm looking at you) do absolutely nothing and are just a waste of money.
Yeah i'm female!

I'm not buying any other over the counter stuff cause I'm just wasting my money for no change at all.

Please please please go to the doctor. I forgot what it was like to have clear skin.

It's a shame there's no quick fix for acne. Any medication you try, you will have to give it a chance of around 3 months. Treating it can be as disheartening as hell but you'll get there in the end.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Yes go! I've been numerous times in my life. I've been prescribed creams and antibiotics which worked well, it's worth a shot. Nothing to lose really. Sometimes acne needs to be treated from the inside, most over the counter products (freederm I'm looking at you) do absolutely nothing and are just a waste of money.

Most anti acne products will make it worse. You want to nourish your skin rather than use stuff like freederm
Okay first what I recommend is you double cleanse. Cleanse your skin with baby oil (it will NOT block your pores, that's a myth) to remove the dirt.

Then wash your face with a foaming or cream cleanser.

After that you want to tone with something really gentle.

Then you want a serum. You want to be careful here, you want one for your skin type. I use one for dry skin, if your main problem is acne I'd go for anti redness. Be wary of "anti acne" products - they usually have astringents in them

Then an eye cream, this is your choice

Then a moisturiser, again anti redness

You also want to chemically exfoliate every other day with nip fab glycolic pads.

If you do this as well as see a GP, I expect your skin will improve a lot :smile:

Hmm that seems a LOT of products to be using on already greasy skin. A lot of the time real acne isn't anything to do with how clean or exfoliated your skin is, it's hormonal and can only really be treated through medication. When I had full blown acne I found the best policy was to just leave it alone completely, wash with water only and don't wear makeup. Cleansing and ridding the face of all it's oils only makes it go into overdrive and produce loads more. This coupled with over compensating through moisturiser and serums just adds to the problem. Obviously this would be effective for someone who got the odd spot but proper acne is a whole different thing.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Hmm that seems a LOT of products to be using on already greasy skin. A lot of the time real acne isn't anything to do with how clean or exfoliated your skin is, it's hormonal and can only really be treated through medication. When I had full blown acne I found the best policy was to just leave it alone completely, wash with water only and don't wear makeup. Cleansing and ridding the face of all it's oils only makes it go into overdrive and produce loads more. This coupled with over compensating through moisturiser and serums just adds to the problem. Obviously this would be effective for someone who got the odd spot but proper acne is a whole different thing.

That's why nothing I've suggested strips the skin - no astringents or alcohol :tongue:

It's a myth that products cause greasy skin - the WRONG products do. It's called the Korean skincare method and is what a lot of Korean ladies use (surprisingly) and it honestly works.

I'm not saying it'll cure acne but it will certainly improve her skin
Reply 19
If you go to the doctors he'll probably fob you off with a course of tetracycline and give you a Retin-A.
Antibiotics never work.
Depends how bad your acne actually is though, accutanes the only drug that is 100% effective, so tell the doctor how it makes you feel and he'll probably refer you :smile:
A good skin routine helps but there's no way your gonna clear your skin completely with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest