The Student Room Group

Failed my chances of Oxbridge?

I recieved 1A*, 6A's and 2 B's
I keep getting upset over how much lower they are from my expectations.
Have i failed my chances of Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I honestly wouldnt know but trust me its not the end of the world, these uni do look at gcse BUT its still alevels that count more (especially the AS results from your first year)...why not try lse, ucl (going there for my msc in the bartlett) or imperial...lol, or try havard or yale
Original post by Yux
I honestly wouldnt know but trust me its not the end of the world, these uni do look at gcse BUT its still alevels that count more (especially the AS results from your first year)...why not try lse, ucl (going there for my msc in the bartlett) or imperial...lol, or try havard or yale

lol at 'havard or yale'
No, not at all.
Original post by Mini Mina

grades are completely fine, better than most people!
Getting into Oxbridge relies a LOT on how you do in AS and A2. Don't stress about GCSEs, they hardly take them into consideration unless they have two candidates with the EXACT same credentials/co-curriculars and so look at GCSEs to see who is better.

Will probably depend largely on what course you are applying for. Just focus on getting good AS grades and maybe you will still have a chance. Lot's of people apply with mostly A*s and still get rejected, so it shows it's not just based on your results, lots of other things are taken into consideration when you apply :redface:
Reply 6
Thank you guys, that makes me feel that little bit better. :redface:
You'll be fine for Cambridge, they don't really care that much (apart from Medicine) but Oxford maybe not so good.
Thank you guys, that makes me feel that little bit better. :redface:

Good luck :smile:
Work hard at A-level. Worst case scenario you end up at a redbrick where a 2.1 will be easier to obtain and you will likely have more of a social life.
I know how you feel. I had Cambridge as an aim and was peedicted between 4 and 6 A*s and only came out with 2As. Pretty disappointing.

What course would you be aiming for?

In general what matters is your AS and A2 (forecasts as well as results), any admission tests you have to do (those would depend on the course) and your interviews.
Reply 12
I was hoping to do law or double honours with economics and law.
Reply 13
Original post by Fullofsurprises
What course would you be aiming for?

In general what matters is your AS and A2 (forecasts as well as results), any admission tests you have to do (those would depend on the course) and your interviews.

Firstly, well done on your results :smile: As has been said before, provided you perform well at A level these grades will not be a major problem applying to Cambridge. Oxford do care more, and you would be disadvantaged compared to other candidates, but still GCSEs are only one part of what they look for in an applicant.

OK, so with Law it will be your LNAT that's super-important, plus scoring highly in the target A levs. I don't know so much about Cambridge courses and I'm no expert in the Law setup generally, so for example for Oxford you'd be well advised to start asking questions about it in the Oxford Courses section. There's a load of interesting stuff in the Oxford Law thread glancing through it.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1215096
Reply 16
There is more to life than going to Oxbridge.
I got my results I got

Additional Science: A
Core Science: A
Economics: A
French: A
History: A
English lang: A
English lit: A
Maths: A
ICT : B
Art: A*

i dont really think this is good enough, since i was expecting to do much better than this :frown: And im planning to do maths, history, economics, and eng lit at A level. Help pls
:frown: I was hoping to do history at oxford but now i dunno since they take gcse in to account
Reply 18
They are fine for a large portion of Oxford's courses. Especially ones with admissions tests, where a good score would override your lower-than-average GCSEs. My GCSEs aren't too different from yours.

I got A*AABBBCCDD at GCSE and still got interviews at top universities including Cambridge. Just try and get top marks in your AS-Levels, get top predicted A2 grades and you'll be fine.

Your GCSEs are actually amazing, you've nothing to worry about.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest