The Student Room Group

When I say designer babies, what is the first thing that comes into your head?

Right so I'm doing my EPQ on designer babies, and there seems to be a bit of a confusion around what a designer baby actually is, so I was wondering what do you think of when someone says "designer babies"?

Also anyone fancy being a lovely person and completing my survey, it will literally take you 2 minutes, maybe not even that and it would help me out loads as I wanted like 100 responses and at the moment I'm only on 32... hahaa.

http://kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=ggmh0ok97n7u6q4395403&refer=

I'll do surveys in return if anyone wants, thank you everyone! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Completed your survey :redface:

When you said 'designer baby' i automatically thought of parents who unnecessarily dress their babies in expensive/designer stuff, but once i opened your survey i realized what you meant :tongue:
Reply 2
Done :smile:

Good luck with your EPQ!

I think of embryos being altered to give them characteristics considered desirable by their parents. I automatically think of more superficial characteristics - eye colour, hair colour, etc - rather than preventing illness or disability. I wouldn't normally think of an embryo that has had its genetics to prevent it from being ill or disabled as a 'designer baby'.
(edited 9 years ago)
I honestly thought of a baby dressed in Gucci and Lou boutins
Reply 4
Glad I'm not the only one who just thought of kids being dressed up by their parents lol.
Done
It makes me think of some weird dystopian future where everyone chooses for their child to have the aryan blue eyes blonde hair white skin thing, Hitler style.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think of Genetically Modified babies which their parents decided to have because they think that their child should be perfect and what they WANT them to be.....

Did your survey too)))

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
I think the last question about scientists not been trusted with humans is nonsense. Scientists work with lots of things that are crucial to humans.

For example, the new drugs used just now to combat Ebola were made by scientists. You should give feedback to the questionnaire designer about this.
Reply 9
Original post by Maker
I think the last question about scientists not been trusted with humans is nonsense. Scientists work with lots of things that are crucial to humans.

For example, the new drugs used just now to combat Ebola were made by scientists. You should give feedback to the questionnaire designer about this.

Thank You for completing the survey, and to everyone else that has done it and answered it, it really helps me out!

I actually designed the survey, it's not fully professional I know but it does the job. Anyway I had the same opinion as you about how scientists are actually very beneficial and are usually the unacknowledged heroes of several diseases being wiped out, they do not get enough credit. However when I was designing the survey several people had the idea that they didn't trust scientists and that they were the problem in the whole designer baby situation. I completely disagree and it actually annoyed me quite a bit but I had to put it in to see if this view was really shared by a large amount of people. Fortunately though not many people who have completed my survey agree with this, although I have only sent it to people at my sixth form and posted it on the student room so I think I might have a slightly biased result in terms of fully understanding the role of scientists, oh well!
Reply 10
Original post by LouiseXxx
Thank You for completing the survey, and to everyone else that has done it and answered it, it really helps me out!

I actually designed the survey, it's not fully professional I know but it does the job. Anyway I had the same opinion as you about how scientists are actually very beneficial and are usually the unacknowledged heroes of several diseases being wiped out, they do not get enough credit. However when I was designing the survey several people had the idea that they didn't trust scientists and that they were the problem in the whole designer baby situation. I completely disagree and it actually annoyed me quite a bit but I had to put it in to see if this view was really shared by a large amount of people. Fortunately though not many people who have completed my survey agree with this, although I have only sent it to people at my sixth form and posted it on the student room so I think I might have a slightly biased result in terms of fully understanding the role of scientists, oh well!

I understand. I think one of the important things about questionnaires and surveys is that the way questions are constructed can skell the answers and make them unreliable or confirm biases. You can also do that by including or omitting some questions.

I think your questionnaire needs more options.
Original post by LouiseXxx
Right so I'm doing my EPQ on designer babies, and there seems to be a bit of a confusion around what a designer baby actually is, so I was wondering what do you think of when someone says "designer babies"?

Also anyone fancy being a lovely person and completing my survey, it will literally take you 2 minutes, maybe not even that and it would help me out loads as I wanted like 100 responses and at the moment I'm only on 32... hahaa.

http://kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=ggmh0ok97n7u6q4395403&refer=

I'll do surveys in return if anyone wants, thank you everyone! :biggrin:

Interesting topic, but I think the survey itself is not very complete and still has room for improvement - anyway, good luck and have fun on your EPQ! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
I think of selected genetics to make the person's ideal baby. So take out any genetic diseases and change their genes to blonde hair and there eyes to green if they wanted etc. Genetic modification
(edited 9 years ago)
The fashion industry.
The image of a baby clothed in expensive designer baby clothes wearing an oversized Gucci glasses popped into my head haha but I've heard of designer babies before and it has a completely different meaning once you give some time for thinking.
Agree with Aisa, designer babies, genetically engineered.
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
I think of selected genetics to make the person's ideal baby. So take out any genetic diseases and change their genes to blonde hair and there eyes to green if they wanted etc. Genetic modification

This :smile:
I thought of liberal eugenics, manipulating the genome before birth to create a superior species.

It has my full support.

Quick Reply