The Student Room Group

Medicine Requirements

I got 2A*, 2A, 6B and 1C. I have high aspiration for Medicine since childhood. However, after receiving this shocking result I have began to question myself whether I can do it. I know from my research that Universities have a greater weighting on A-Level result - for which I will work 10 times harder and aim for 100% in all exams: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Top Universities such as Oxford or Cambridge only require you to have at least one A* and two A's and rest depends on the entry test - BMAT. If I work towards the BMAT and perform on A level, do you think I will be able to fulfill my childhood dreams? I really have no other option than Medicine - that is how determined I am for it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nicee
I got 2A*, 2A, 6B and 1C. I have high aspiration for Medicine since childhood. However, after receiving this shocking result I have began to question myself whether I can do it. I know from my research that Universities have a greater weighting on A-Level result - for which I will work 10 times harder and aim for 100% in all exams: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Top Universities such as Oxford or Cambridge only require you to have at least one A* and two A's and rest depends on the entry test - BMAT. If I work towards the BMAT and perform on A level, do you think I will be able to fulfill my childhood dreams? I really have no other option than Medicine - that is how determined I am for it.

What are those A*s in?
Reply 2
Original post by Tench
What are those A*s in?

I got A* in English Literature and Maths. A in Physics and Geography. B in Biology and Chemistry. Really I am worried about Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
Original post by Nicee

"Only" A*AA at A level? :eyebrow:

Check this page, do well in your A levels, apply accordingly:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

And forget this nonsense about "top" medical schools - it's a total fallacy.
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
"Only" A*AA at A level? :eyebrow:

Check this page, do well in your A levels, apply accordingly:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

And forget this nonsense about "top" medical schools - it's a total fallacy.

Is that up-to-date requirements?
Original post by Nicee
Is that up-to-date requirements?

Did you read the first line of the article?

This information has been verified and is correct as of August 2013.

You could check on each med school's website individually, but chances are things won't have changed much since last year. But definitely go and check to be extra-sure. The best time to do this would be the summer before you apply for med school i.e. this time next year. But the article should give you a good idea of what to expect.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nicee
only require you to have at least one A* and two A's .

:hahaha:

Oh boy
Reply 7
Did you read the first line of the article?

You could check on each med school's website individually, but chances are things won't have changed much since last year. But definitely go and check to be extra-sure. The best time to do this would be the summer before you apply for med school i.e. this time next year. But the article should give you a good idea of what to expect.

But, if you get really high score on the entry test and really good results for A-levels, won't there be any chances?
Reply 8
Original post by ameelia22
:hahaha:

Oh boy

What were trying to say?
Original post by Nicee
What were trying to say?

You must have no idea how high an A*AA grade requirement at a-level is and just how much effort it requires if it's "only an 1 A*"... it's a very commendable and highly respected result.
Original post by Nicee
But, if you get really high score on the entry test and really good results for A-levels, won't there be any chances?

Entry requirements aren't negotiable. If the med school demands a certain number of GCSE A* grades when deciding who to invite for interview and you don't meet their cut-off you'll be rejected. Despite your other grades, BMAT score etc.

You need to think strategically when applying for med school and you need to play to your strengths. If your GCSE grades aren't outstanding you shouldn't apply to a med school which places great emphasis on GCSE grades (e.g. Oxford). Apply elsewhere.

More info here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Original post by Nicee

P.S. If you don't meet the entry requirement, even for GCSE your application won't even make it to the stage where they mark your a-level results or bmat score, it's instantly rejected. Idk whether they just have a computer programme that automatically rejects those that don't meet it but it's not worth wasting one of your choices on somewhere you don't meet the criteria for :hmmmm2: just my 2 pence
So I got 3a* 5a 1b would that be alrught for a top 10 uni considering I got everything else required in a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by ameelia22
You must have no idea how high an A*AA grade requirement at a-level is and just how much effort it requires if it's "only an 1 A*"... it's a very commendable and highly respected result.

Ahhh it takes year11s a bit of time for them to realise just how much work a level requires and how hard it is LOOOL someone's in for a nasty shock

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
So I got 3a* 5a 1b would that be alrught for a top 10 uni considering I got everything else required in a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol that's exactly what I got and I'm still applying! Make sure u have lots if extra curricular and voluntary and work ex and you should be able to apply to most

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Some Universities require you to have at least C or above in Maths, English and Sciences. However, I have A* in Maths, A* in English but average B in Sciences - Biology is B, Chemistry is B and Physics is A. I think, if I work harder for A levels and complete the requirements such as volunteering work, etc. I should have chances of getting in. What do you think?
Reply 16
I really need some help please.
Reply 17
Entry requirements aren't negotiable. If the med school demands a certain number of GCSE A* grades when deciding who to invite for interview and you don't meet their cut-off you'll be rejected. Despite your other grades, BMAT score etc.

You need to think strategically when applying for med school and you need to play to your strengths. If your GCSE grades aren't outstanding you shouldn't apply to a med school which places great emphasis on GCSE grades (e.g. Oxford). Apply elsewhere.

More info here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

I really need some help. Please help me out.
This thread is giving me nightmares.
I just got my results too. 2.5 A*, 7A, 1B
2.5 A* (Science core,Science extended, r.e- respectively),
7 A ( Additional science, Maths, English Lit, German, Geog, Business, Media)
B in English Language :angry:.

Do i have a chance at the 5 london medical schools? i know people will tell me to look at the entry requirements but do i really stand a chance against people who have passed the entry requirements by a lot, (many a stars)?
Good lord I can't remember whether I was just as bad in my day, or whether i've just become wiser...
[QUOTE="Nicee;49689177"]Some Universities require you to have at least C or above in Maths, English and Sciences. However, I have A* in Maths, A* in English but average B in Sciences - Biology is B, Chemistry is B and Physics is A. /QUOTE]

It sounds like you meet the entry requirement for said university. You have as good a shot as any.

Original post by Johnsmoth
This thread is giving me nightmares.
I just got my results too. 2.5 A*, 7A, 1B
2.5 A* (Science core,Science extended, r.e- respectively),
7 A ( Additional science, Maths, English Lit, German, Geog, Business, Media)
B in English Language :angry:.

Do i have a chance at the 5 london medical schools? i know people will tell me to look at the entry requirements but do i really stand a chance against people who have passed the entry requirements by a lot, (many a stars)?

:K:

Once you know you have met the requirement for each medical school you are interested in, it is time to look at how your application is considered, AKA what are the stages and which areas of your application are considered of more value to that particular university. If, for example you were considering applying to Barts and the London, it is apparent that you meet the GCSE requirement, well done. Now let's take a look at their website:

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/A100/index.html

And look at the relevant passage:

A100 applicants (not including graduates) who achieve at least 2400 overall in the UKCAT and meet our minimum academic entry criteria will be given a score for their UCAS tariff based on achieved/predicted grades for all ‘tariffable’ criteria. Candidates will be expected to have achieved or be predicted a UCAS tariff of 410 or more. 410 points must be achieved from the main scoring Academic acceptable criteria . 50% of the weighting will be on Tariff and 50% on the UKCAT score

50% on the Tariff they say? Let's double check to see what the tariff includes:

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/ucas-tariff

Right so it appears after you have met the requirement for the GCSE's, it isn't considered thereafter.

Does that process make sense? Check if you meet entry criteria > yes > consider how much weighting is placed onto each part of your application > would your application be considered strong? > yes > tick that one > move onto the next uni

This process of applying to your strengths will require research, time and a reasonable logic - please be willing to put that effort in. It does take some time to get your head around and I myself would occasionally would wonder "I got a B in drama will I ever get into medical school," so i can sympathise but you must be willing to research yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending