The Student Room Group

Should I resit?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I should resit some of my GCSEs. My ultimate prospect is to, like many people, get onto a medicine course at a well established uni, such as Newcastle, Edinburgh, UCl or even Cambridge.

My GCSE grades however aren't up to what I expected I'd get, due in large part to my lack of effort put into my studies this year.

They are as follows:
*English Lit - A
*English Lang - A
*Religious Studies - A (1 UMS from A*)
Maths (year 10) - A*
Further Maths - B
Chemistry - A (8 UMS from A*)
Biology - A
Physics - A
German - A
Geography - A*
History - A*

Collectively, that's 3 A*s, 7 As and a B.

* - These subjects could be subject to change as my teachers have mentioned that they may be sending off the English exams off for remark as there seemed to be some dodgy marking going on with some of the exams.

In the case of RE, I was 1 UMS off the boundary so this could change upon a remark.

Anyway, I intend on resitting Further Maths in year 12, as well as possibly chemistry and biology. If all goes to plan and I get the grades I want, I could potentially have 9 A*s and 2 As, however a few of these would be resits - do universities care about this (in regards to Medicine), and do you recommend that I resit?

Thanks a lot,
Alzimondo
Reply 1
bump - please help me! :confused:
Original post by Alzimondo
bump - please help me! :confused:

What uni do you want to go to?
Reply 3
Original post by KittyRe-play
What uni do you want to go to?

Newcastle being my first option, however I have prospects for Cambridge and UCL if they're permitting.
Newcastle being my first option, however I have prospects for Cambridge and UCL if they're permitting.

Hmm okay so do your GCSE results meet Newcastles requirements for Medicine?
Hi there,

A very nice set of results, you should be proud! :smile:

I say, get those 3 exams remarked - and if all goes to plan - you'll have a nice ratio of A/A*s which is competitive for any medicine degree.

If worst comes to worst, you can always resit those exams which don't require coursework, or even ask your school to enter you to resit some sciences.

I know what it's like to be 1 UMS off a boundary; I was 1 UMS in German (had to resit), and UMS, this year, in Literature :yep:

Anyway, good luck
The only problem is that some universities do not consider resits. I don't know much about Newcastle but if you know that they allow you to get in with resits then go for it!
Reply 7
My brother got 5 A*s 4 As and 2 Bs at GCSE. He took Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Critical Thinking and did an EPQ and now he's off to Dundee this September, which is one of the best Medical Schools in the UK.

Trust me, your GCSE results are already pretty decent, and with the remarks they will be even better. Universities do not care about resitting exams at GCSE level, I don't even believe they see whether you do. They do however care about resitting at A Level, so now you're going there work hard from the get go - I'm sure you already know that though :')

Get some remarked and you'll be fine, I definitely think you'll make it into Newcastle at this rate and with good hard work, and you could potentially apply for UCL and Cambridge if your A Levels go well for you!

Good Luck :smile:
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I should resit some of my GCSEs. My ultimate prospect is to, like many people, get onto a medicine course at a well established uni, such as Newcastle, Edinburgh, UCl or even Cambridge.

My GCSE grades however aren't up to what I expected I'd get, due in large part to my lack of effort put into my studies this year.

They are as follows:
*English Lit - A
*English Lang - A
*Religious Studies - A (1 UMS from A*)
Maths (year 10) - A*
Further Maths - B
Chemistry - A (8 UMS from A*)
Biology - A
Physics - A
German - A
Geography - A*
History - A*

Collectively, that's 3 A*s, 7 As and a B.

* - These subjects could be subject to change as my teachers have mentioned that they may be sending off the English exams off for remark as there seemed to be some dodgy marking going on with some of the exams.

In the case of RE, I was 1 UMS off the boundary so this could change upon a remark.

Anyway, I intend on resitting Further Maths in year 12, as well as possibly chemistry and biology. If all goes to plan and I get the grades I want, I could potentially have 9 A*s and 2 As, however a few of these would be resits - do universities care about this (in regards to Medicine), and do you recommend that I resit?

Thanks a lot,
Alzimondo

Use your common sense. Get resit to geta few extra A*s and get distracted from A level or put all my effort into A levels and get those As
Original post by ennahaspatience
Use your common sense. Get resit to geta few extra A*s and get distracted from A level or put all my effort into A levels and get those As

That's very true - universities will take borderline ideal GCSEs with good AS levels far better than great GCSEs and iffy AS's. Focus on the next year and re-energise yourself to do well in those exams would be my advice

Quick Reply

Latest