The Student Room Group

If you had to give up meat or alcohol?

If you had to give up meat or alcohol, which would it be?

I would definitely give up meat; I can totally envision having a beautiful vegetarian meal, maybe some delicious pasta with freshly baked bread and a mushroom sauce, and a glass of white wine. And maybe followed by a nice brandy

The reverse, having a nice steak but no drink to go with it, seems less appetising. So it would definitely be meat that would have to go.

What would you choose if you had to give up one or the other? (and yes I know some of you will already not consume one or the other, or both. Feel free to comment though)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by young_guns
If you had to give up meat or alcohol, which would it be?

I would definitely give up meat; I can totally envision having a beautiful vegetarian meal, maybe some delicious pasta with freshly baked bread and a mushroom sauce, and a glass of white wine. And maybe followed by a nice brandy

The reverse, having a nice steak but no drink to go with it, seems less appetising. So it would definitely be meat that would have to go.

What would you choose if you had to give up one or the other? (and yes I know some of you will already not consume one or the other, or both. Feel free to comment though)

I'd rather eat meat than be able to drink booze.
Preferably neither, but I guess the question would be which would be easier to replace. So I guess the questions is, non-alcoholic beer or fake meat? Both are pretty crappy compared to the real thing.
Alcohol no question.
As a vegetarian who does not drink, this is a difficult question to answer. But supposing I could only opt out of one of these activities, it would be meat, since I am fully prepared to sacrifice my happiness by drinking alcohol in order to avoid eating meat (for all the reasons I am vegetarian).
Reply 5
Think I'd rather give up alcohol.. I crave a KFC much more than booze :eek:
Really hard question though.. because alcohol is much more fun ahh
Reply 6
I'm already a vegetarian so that's pretty easy for me.

I don't even like meat so it's pretty easy to go without but I wouldn't even know where to begin with alcohol like what the heck do you replace that with??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'd give up alcohol because even though a decent amount can clean your intestines (barley) and red wine is good for women, it is addictive. Meat isn't addictive. But to be fair neither are really in my life anyway but there was a time when they both were. But meat I still eat somewhat, just definitely not as much as before :smile: The viruses and indigestion and cholesterol and heart problems and stuff not worth a heavier plate. :nah:
Alcohol. Easy. And I love ale! :yep:

Bacon.
Reply 9
Original post by mikeyd85
Alcohol. Easy. And I love ale! :yep:

Bacon.

I haven't had bacon in a year and it made me depressed and so I relapsed a wk or so ago and...it...was...great! :awesome: lol
I think I would definitely have to give up meat. But I would be so jealous every time I saw a steak or some duck on a plate :sogood:.

I do like alcohol too much to be able to ever give it up properly :lol:. One of my favourite things on the weekend is to play football manager drinking game and I would hate to have to stop doing that :biggrin:
alcohol i don't even drink anyways ez question pls

but if i did drink, definitely meat. being vegetarian is pretty nice
Honestly wouldn't care which, just so long as I can still drink my beloved coffee. :suith:
Reply 13
My main consideration in giving up meat was that there is plenty of delicious and succulent vegetarian food, and in fact it sometimes would prompt you to be more creative with making your food so that you make it equally as delicious as a meal with meat.

On the question of alcohol, I simply could not give up being able to have a nice glass of wine with a meal, or go out with mates for a drink at the pub, or at weddings being able to hang out with my brother and drink brandy and smoke cigars. So giving up alcohol, I would have to give up many activities I enjoy, whereas giving up meat I wouldn't be giving up delicious food, just a particular type of food
Alcohol

Reason: I don't drink/need alcohol.
I am already vegan so I've already made the decision but I would give up all my favourite foods rather than give up alcohol. My whole social life is based around alcohol whereas there's always other types of food.
Nothing beats a pint in a beer garden on a sunny day. After a hard day at work, coming home and having having a beer with your dinner is a great way to unwind. Alcohol is also so central to social life here that giving it up for good seems daunting. I gave it up for Lent one year, and going out without having a few drinks just isn't the same.

I like vegetarian cuisine, I'll happily eat it. But to go without meat? Consumption of meat is so central to my native cuisine that I really don't know if I could give it up.

I refuse to answer this :lol:
Alcohol. I'm not a massive drinker anyways
Easy, alcohol. :fluffy:
Giving up meat would likely make me very ill; giving up alcohol would not change very much given I'm a moderate drinker at best, though may make me even healthier!

Quick Reply

Latest