The Student Room Group

Studying Chemistry at uni?

I'm wondering what's the best combination of subjects you should take for a-level. I know maths is a good one but I only got a B and my sixth form require an A to take it on further.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by peanutbutterjam
I'm wondering what's the best combination of subjects you should take for a-level. I know maths is a good one but I only got a B and my sixth form require an A to take it on further.

Take a look at courses. It might seem early, but some of them will state what subjects other than Chemistry you need to have taken. Ideally, I would suggest to anyone that Chemistry, Biology, maths and physics will give you the best setup for a chemistry university course, but you might be able to do a course which isn't pure chemistry such as pharmaceutical chemistry, which will have lower entry requirements, and won't necessarily require maths. Hope that helps! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

I'm firmed for Bath this year for Chemistry without Maths, I took Bio, Phys and Chem. I also got a B at GCSE Maths.

I found that very few (only Cambridge off the top of my head), firmly required Maths.

Also Chemistry with Nanochemistry required Maths.

Obviously it's a solid subject to compliment Chemistry, but a lecturer at Cardiff told me that if you lack a Maths A level you're only required to sit a Maths module. I wouldn't worry at all if I were you!

Hope this helped :smile:
Thanks for all the help! :smile:

I've opted for Chemistry, Biology and a level 3 Engineering BTEC but I'm worried that they won't accept me because of the btec?
Thanks for all the help! :smile:

I've opted for Chemistry, Biology and a level 3 Engineering BTEC but I'm worried that they won't accept me because of the btec?

Check with Unis that you are looking to apply to. They might, or they might not.

If you are planning to be studying a general chemistry course (or anything physical chemistry skewed) you will NEED A-level maths. Nuff said really. I found A-level not enough and wish i'd done further maths.
Reply 6
Original post by JMaydom
If you are planning to be studying a general chemistry course (or anything physical chemistry skewed) you will NEED A-level maths. Nuff said really. I found A-level not enough and wish i'd done further maths.

Further Maths is really not necessary for the majority of universities - Oxford is about the only one i've seen where people have said so (and by the looks, you too!) I imagine due to the intensity they don't teach much of it? Phys chem sucks anyway :frown:

Most places now will offer a maths module in first year anyway, which covers the elements of further maths (matrices etc.) required. Some places also offer complete coverage of everything you've missed by not doing a-level so don't worry too much OP - but you definitely need a second science at minimum. Not having maths will restrict entry to a few universities, but not too many.
Original post by Nymthae
Further Maths is really not necessary for the majority of universities - Oxford is about the only one i've seen where people have said so (and by the looks, you too!) I imagine due to the intensity they don't teach much of it? Phys chem sucks anyway :frown:

Most places now will offer a maths module in first year anyway, which covers the elements of further maths (matrices etc.) required. Some places also offer complete coverage of everything you've missed by not doing a-level so don't worry too much OP - but you definitely need a second science at minimum. Not having maths will restrict entry to a few universities, but not too many.

Yes I'm sure further maths is not at all necessary but maths will be. I can speak only for oxford course as it is the only i course i have studied, but A-level maths, not further maths, is an absolute necessity at oxford. It's not an official requirement but they will not give you an offer unless maths wasn't offered at your school/college.
Maybe at other places the maths doesn;t go so quick but I can;t see how you can manage a good Uni course without maths.
Reply 8
Original post by JMaydom
Yes I'm sure further maths is not at all necessary but maths will be. I can speak only for oxford course as it is the only i course i have studied, but A-level maths, not further maths, is an absolute necessity at oxford. It's not an official requirement but they will not give you an offer unless maths wasn't offered at your school/college.
Maybe at other places the maths doesn;t go so quick but I can;t see how you can manage a good Uni course without maths.

It is possible - it's probably more down to reasons why people don't do maths. If it's because they're avoiding it, because they find it difficult or its daunting then it may well cause a lot of issues. My housemate didn't do maths at a-level though, and averages something like 15% better than me in phys chem, from years 2+3 [yeah, not my favourite area :tongue:]. He put a lot of effort into the first year maths course as he was worried about it, so I guess it paid off. I think all of the universities that take students without maths offer a first year module that spans the key parts of a-level maths and further maths. As you say, you won't get away without the maths, so they have to.
Original post by JMaydom

Original post by Nymthae
It is possible - it's probably more down to reasons why people don't do maths. If it's because they're avoiding it, because they find it difficult or its daunting then it may well cause a lot of issues. My housemate didn't do maths at a-level though, and averages something like 15% better than me in phys chem, from years 2+3 [yeah, not my favourite area :tongue:]. He put a lot of effort into the first year maths course as he was worried about it, so I guess it paid off. I think all of the universities that take students without maths offer a first year module that spans the key parts of a-level maths and further maths. As you say, you won't get away without the maths, so they have to.

Well we're going to have different experiences as we went to different universities (although you seem to share my dislike of Phys chem :biggrin: )

Quick Reply

Latest