The Student Room Group

Do I bother resitting?

I have just got my results back for GCSE, and it was an odd result, I got 4A*s, 6As, and then I got a D in French - I have no idea what happened- honestly, i have never been very good at French, but since my mother is fluent, it didnt go down too well :wink:

Just some more information, Im taking Maths, Biology, Geography, Economics, and busineess BTEC (im just doing that by myself because i wanted to do something over the summer). Looking to do Geography and Economics for Degree, hopefully LSE.

My French Grade was so shocking compared to the rest of my results, but do I bother retaking it? Would it be a waste of time since the rest of my results were good and it just seems like an anomaly?

I really need some help deciding guys!

Thank you

Indigo Brownhall - 16
Hi there, well done with your results, they're great! :smile:

My friend had a similar situation, she got an A in one RS paper and an E in the other which averaged at a C. She's always got a C or above in every paper so it was really weird.

Anyway, back to you. Do you have an actual mark for it? Also, what were you predicted? It could be worth remarking if it's close to the C/D border, retaking it completely would depend on the mark, how important it is and how much you'll need to use/reference it in the future.

Hope this helps!

Dulcie :smile:
Original post by dulciejackson
Hi there, well done with your results, they're great! :smile:

My friend had a similar situation, she got an A in one RS paper and an E in the other which averaged at a C. She's always got a C or above in every paper so it was really weird.

Anyway, back to you. Do you have an actual mark for it? Also, what were you predicted? It could be worth remarking if it's close to the C/D border, retaking it completely would depend on the mark, how important it is and how much you'll need to use/reference it in the future.

Hope this helps!

Hey Dulcie!

I've been predicted an A for the whole of the two years, but nearly all of my class got around the C mark, I was just unfortunate with what happened :/

Im just really worried that LSE wont let me in because of it? And should I try and get it back up to an A? That would mean straight As and A*s...I hate French, and i dont want it ruining my later-life decisions!

Indigo :biggrin:
Hey Dulcie!

I've been predicted an A for the whole of the two years, but nearly all of my class got around the C mark, I was just unfortunate with what happened :/

Im just really worried that LSE wont let me in because of it? And should I try and get it back up to an A? That would mean straight As and A*s...I hate French, and i dont want it ruining my later-life decisions!

Indigo

Hey Indigo!

Yeah I was predicted an A too-fortunately I had a good day and impressed even myself with an A*! :smile:

Which exam board were you on? Sounds like your whole class had a bad day, maybe the teaching or exam technique wasn't up to scratch, who knows.

I highly doubt it. Technically although we're told that only A* to C are passes by our lovely high-achiever schools, actually an E or above counts as a pass and so it wouldn't hold you back, it still gives you UCAS points and counts as a GCSE pass.

Also, degree courses never specify GCSE requirements, the focus is purely on A Level results. I just looked up a BSc Geography with Economics at LSE and the requirements are AAA including A in maths. Tbh you're definitely clever enough to achieve this, and whilst universities are said to be looking at GCSE grades too now they are unlikely to judge to harshly on a D in french, especially if you're a well-rounded high achiever. Universities are more likely to be interested in extra curricular activities like sport, leadership, volunteering or charity work or maybe even work experience so if you can get any of this then a D in french GCSE is unlikely to affect your chances.

Ugh I hate french too :')

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Indigo.Brownhall
I have just got my results back for GCSE, and it was an odd result, I got 4A*s, 6As, and then I got a D in French - I have no idea what happened- honestly, i have never been very good at French, but since my mother is fluent, it didnt go down too well :wink:

Just some more information, Im taking Maths, Biology, Geography, Economics, and busineess BTEC (im just doing that by myself because i wanted to do something over the summer). Looking to do Geography and Economics for Degree, hopefully LSE.

My French Grade was so shocking compared to the rest of my results, but do I bother retaking it? Would it be a waste of time since the rest of my results were good and it just seems like an anomaly?

I really need some help deciding guys!

Thank you

Indigo Brownhall - 16

life is a long journey just let it go you did well
i kinda got the same grade as you just without a d in french. but igot a b in statistics and i feel exactly the same. i say better safe then sorry
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest