The Student Room Group

Should I?

Hi, I got my results back yesterday and I did well in the subject I highly dislike, I can revise for it I just don't enjoy the subject as a whole, I got:
History B unit 1 - 90/90
History B unit 2 - 89/90
History B unit 3 - 48/60
overall: 227/240

My question is whether or not I should take history A level even though I dislike the subject? Is it worth taking a subject you perform well in or a subject your enjoy?

Kind regards
Original post by Sacred Ground
Hi, I got my results back yesterday and I did well in the subject I highly dislike, I can revise for it I just don't enjoy the subject as a whole, I got:
History B unit 1 - 90/90
History B unit 2 - 89/90
History B unit 3 - 48/60
overall: 227/240

My question is whether or not I should take history A level even though I dislike the subject? Is it worth taking a subject you perform well in or a subject your enjoy?

Kind regards

Best not to take subjects you dislike - it's likely you'll lose motivation in them. :sadnod: It's best to do subjects you enjoy but that you also think you can do well in...for example, if you really enjoy French but you scored a U in it at GCSE, it wouldn't be very wise to continue it for A-Level. :tongue:
Original post by usycool1
Best not to take subjects you dislike - it's likely you'll lose motivation in them. :sadnod: It's best to do subjects you enjoy but that you also think you can do well in...for example, if you really enjoy French but you scored a U in it at GCSE, it wouldn't be very wise to continue it for A-Level. :tongue:

Thanks :smile: I'm looking to do a biology degree but my school jeopardised my future prospects because they put me in for biology in year 9 and I got:
B1 - U
B2 - A
B3 - A*
ISA - A*
Ugh, overall I got a B, do you think I should resit biology?
Congrats on the result!

I got an A in History at GCSE and had decided to continue with it at A level because of the grade I was likely to get, even though I didn't particularly enjoy it.
I absolutely hated it at A level and ended up skipping lessons because I didn't want to be there and had less motivation than I had for my other subjects (obviously this won't be everyone's experience).

It's completely up to you, but I personally wouldn't recommend taking something simply because you perform well in it. I'd take the opportunity to try and do something you enjoy and think you can do fairly well in :smile:
Original post by bumblebee342
Congrats on the result!

I got an A in History at GCSE and had decided to continue with it at A level because of the grade I was likely to get, even though I didn't particularly enjoy it.
I absolutely hated it at A level and ended up skipping lessons because I didn't want to be there and had less motivation than I had for my other subjects (obviously this won't be everyone's experience).

It's completely up to you, but I personally wouldn't recommend taking something simply because you perform well in it. I'd take the opportunity to try and do something you enjoy and think you can do fairly well in :smile:

Thanks for the response! After looking at the sixth form specification I have been deterred even more... They're doings things women's suffrage and Stalins Russia, ugh... I only enjoy the Holocaust and that isn't covered anywhere. Sad face.

Edit: What did you get in History at A level?
Thanks for the response! After looking at the sixth form specification I have been deterred even more... They're doings things women's suffrage and Stalins Russia, ugh... I only enjoy the Holocaust and that isn't covered anywhere. Sad face.

Edit: What did you get in History at A level?

That was a big part of the problem with me - there'd been a couple of topics I enjoyed in lower school & GCSE, but AS history consisted of India and Russia, neither of which I enjoyed.

I ended up dropping it at the end of year 12 (so I have an AS in it) and got a C, which was completely unexpected because my teacher told me I'd be "lucky to get an E" when reading a couple of my essays :tongue:
Original post by bumblebee342
That was a big part of the problem with me - there'd been a couple of topics I enjoyed in lower school & GCSE, but AS history consisted of India and Russia, neither of which I enjoyed.

I ended up dropping it at the end of year 12 (so I have an AS in it) and got a C, which was completely unexpected because my teacher told me I'd be "lucky to get an E" when reading a couple of my essays :tongue:

Thats really good! What other subjects did you study?
Thats really good! What other subjects did you study?

I was happy with it :tongue: I did Art, English and Psychology but I left a year ago!

Quick Reply

Latest