The Student Room Group

Can I get into a Russell group university (top 10) with relatively mediocre gcses, bu

Hi,
So I got my gcse results yesterday, and I don't really know how to feel about them. One moment I'm fairly pleased, and the next I'm finding it hard not to just break down. My results were: AAAAABBBBB. I was quite certain that I was going to get an A* in history, but my second paper didn't go as well as the first, and I ended up being 2 marks off an A. In my first paper, and coursework, the grades were A*. Anyway, I cannot do anything now!

I shouldn't really be upset, since I didn't by any means work my arse off. However, my school's science department failed to teach us the entire syllabus, so I had to do a lot of extra work on my own in order to not fail. I actually got an A in biology, which I'm quite pleased with. Having to learn a lot of science on my own didn't only effect the corresponding subjects, as I had a lot less time to dedicate study for the others. My head teacher actually sacked half of the science dep after the AS results came through. Although, I'm almost certain if I'd been working like a trojan throughout year 11 I would have had no problems. My fault.

Now, for AS I'm going study chemistry, biology, history and english literature. I really do love english and history, and if I pushed the boat out next year, I'm sure I would be capable of getting brilliant ums marks in them. I also might then like to do a degree in one of them. But I now don't know if could apply to a good university (Russell group - top 10) to do this - because of my gcses. Would an outstanding performance at AS (93% or above) and an obvious passion for the subjects, make up for a relatively mediocre gcse performance? I really would like the chance to apply to UCL, Kings, Warwick etc... Maybe, maybe even cambridge? Is that too presumptuous? I know that many universities look at each participants individual circumstances. My secondary school was a state school, and in east london (which should give you some idea of the average results).

Also, I have been thinking about applying to do medicine, I think it definitely could be some I would find fascinating - although of course I know it's supposed to be strenuous degree. With an outstanding AS performance, and an abundance of relevant work experience, would it be ignorant to think I could be I with a chance?

I am so confused at the moment, and really don't know what to think. Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really don't think they look at GCSEs that much...(Apart from Oxford I think).
A Levels are what they look at mainly (A2 predicted grades) and your personal statement
Your GCSEs are really good, compared to the general population anyway, so well done :smile:
Your GCSEs are fine for Medicine and a top 10 Russell group uni :smile: For Medicine they usually demand good passes in a number of subjects which you most certainly have. Perhaps be wary about Cambridge - yes they focus on UMS but unfortunately they look at GCSEs also for Medicine. But honestly there are plenty of outstanding medical schools outside Oxbridge that perhaps aren't even russell group either!

Your results are excellent relative to the country. Don't stress too much :smile:
Original post by Jaynemarrison
Hi,
So I got my gcse results yesterday, and I don't really know how to feel about them. One moment I'm fairly pleased, and the next I'm finding it hard not to just break down. My results were: AAAAABBBBB. I was quite certain that I was going to get an A* in history, but my second paper didn't go as well as the first, and I ended up being 2 marks off an A. In my first paper, and coursework, the grades were A*. Anyway, I cannot do anything now!

I shouldn't really be upset, since I didn't by any means work my arse off. However, my school's science department failed to teach us the entire syllabus, so I had to do a lot of extra work on my own in order to not fail. I actually got an A in biology, which I'm quite pleased with. Having to learn a lot of science on my own didn't only effect the corresponding subjects, as I had a lot less time to dedicate study for the others. My head teacher actually sacked half of the science dep after the AS results came through. Although, I'm almost certain if I'd been working like a trojan throughout year 11 I would have had no problems. My fault.

Now, for AS I'm going study chemistry, biology, history and english literature. I really do love english and history, and if I pushed the boat out next year, I'm sure I would be capable of getting brilliant ums marks in them. I also might then like to do a degree in one of them. But I now don't know if could apply to a good university (Russell group - top 10) to do this - because of my gcses. Would an outstanding performance at AS (93% or above) and an obvious passion for the subjects, make up for a relatively mediocre gcse performance? I really would like the chance to apply to UCL, Kings, Warwick etc... Maybe, maybe even cambridge? Is that too presumptuous? I know that many universities look at each participants individual circumstances. My secondary school was a state school, and in east london (which should give you some idea of the average results).

Also, I have been thinking about applying to do medicine, I think it definitely could be some I would find fascinating - although of course I know it's supposed to be strenuous degree. With an outstanding AS performance, and an abundance of relevant work experience, would it be ignorant to think I could be I with a chance?

I am so confused at the moment, and really don't know what to think. Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your GCSEs arent mediocre. There's too much negative media around here that tells you otherwise. Everyone has different abilities - if you do well in your AS' then you'll have no problem with even Cambridge. They value improvements/progress and AS Levels more than GCSEs. Think about it, who's going to reject someone with an A in AS History, for history, purely because they got say a B or only an A not an A*, at GCSE? No one...

It will only divide people up in terms of competition when people have similar grades but so much more factors into a place at Uni.

Good luck and your grades are good. Don't let anything or anyone tell you otherwise.
No one really cares about GCSEs once you start applying to uni so you'll be fine. Med school on the other hand you'll just have to be a bit careful with where you apply as they're a bit more picky.
Do you want to do medicine then? Or English? Or history? Or do you just want to go to a "prestigious" uni?

I think you should first take a step back and think a bit more about what you'd like to do at university then go from there.
Thank you! I really did not expect these kind of replies... There is still hope! :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by physicsbook
You can get into a good uni with those grades, I got something like CCCCCDDDF at GCSE and got into a Kings. My friend on the other hand got A*ABCCCCCC at GCSE and got an interview at Oxford when he applied to study mathematics, so I mean it is doable.

What did your friend get at A Level (if you don't mind me asking)?
Reply 8
Firstly, it won't matter which University you get your Medicine degree from - you will be a Doctor regardless of where you went (as long as you pass it of course!).

Medicine is fiercely competitive. Your grades meet the minimum requirements for most Medicine courses, but you will be competing with students with straight A*s. Saying that, they don't just look at grades. If you want to do a Medicine degree get in a lot of work experience and do well on your entrance exams.
Reply 9
i got like aabbbcccc or something at gcse and got offers from good top 15 universities
Reply 10
Your GCSEs are not bad at all. I got 1 A* 3 As 3 Bs and 2 Cs which is worse than yours but i got into 5 russel group unis (including imperial, ucl and kings)
I promise you your GCSEs will 100% Not stop you from getting into russel group unis as long as you work extremely hard in your A levels to provide something better (which is what i did to get my offers)

As for cambridge yes your gcses will hinder you ngl, but if you get excellent ums for AS you have a shot

Again please do a lot of research into medicine before you choose it. It is EXTREMELY competitive and i wont advice you apply if you are not 110% that is what you want to do. Yes some unis will expect higher GCSEs so be prepared, apply to your strengths through research

Good luck :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by physicsbook
You can get into a good uni with those grades, I got something like CCCCCDDDF at GCSE and got into a Kings. My friend on the other hand got A*ABCCCCCC at GCSE and got an interview at Oxford when he applied to study mathematics, so I mean it is doable.

Did your friend have special circumstances? I.e. Underprivileged area or something? Oxford is well known for taking on students with A*/A grades...
I got into Uni of Liverpool with 2A's and a load of B's. I don't think anywhere outside of Oxbridge puts much stock in GCSE's. What you get in your AS's and what you're predicted for A2 are much more important.
Original post by Democracy
Do you want to do medicine then? Or English? Or history? Or do you just want to go to a "prestigious" uni?

I think you should first take a step back and think a bit more about what you'd like to do at university then go from there.

Well, I think it's clear that I don't know what exact degree I would like to do. I don't think I'm rare in that respect? I guess I would like to go to a "prestigious " university... I would have a better chance of employment (which I think I fairly important since I'm going to come out of university with around 30K of debt), lectures are on the whole of a better standard, there would be other people who are equally invested in their subjects - which I think creates a really interesting atmosphere. I by no means think I deserve a place there though, but I'd like to try atleast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by ChelseaYvonne
I got into Uni of Liverpool with 2A's and a load of B's. I don't think anywhere outside of Oxbridge puts much stock in GCSE's. What you get in your AS's and what you're predicted for A2 are much more important.

Which subject?
I'm sick of reading bull**** about Russell group universities as if they are the best institutions in the country Russell group makes up 13% of unis in the country, it's as if everyone is saying that the other 87% is useless. If your university has a good graduate employment rate in the sector you are studying then you can't go wrong because at the end of the day you are getting a degree to get a job. If your uni has good graduate employment then your foot is already in the door.
Well, I think it's clear that I don't know what exact degree I would like to do. I don't think I'm rare in that respect? I guess I would like to go to a "prestigious " university... I would have a better chance of employment (which I think I fairly important since I'm going to come out of university with around 30K of debt), lectures are on the whole of a better standard, there would be other people who are equally invested in their subjects - which I think creates a really interesting atmosphere. I by no means think I deserve a place there though, but I'd like to try atleast.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not rare at all :smile:

Your GCSEs will let you get into prestigious universities for any of those courses (including medicine). However, to receive more specific advice than that you'd firstly have to have a better idea of exactly what you want to end up doing as they are very different courses.

A word of advice about medicine from a current med student at a "prestigious" RG university though - prestige makes precisely no difference whatsoever in this profession. It won't get you a better job once you qualify and it certainly won't make you a superior doctor. Different med schools also have different GCSE requirements so you'll need to check carefully before applying.
Original post by Emilin
Which subject?

Chemistry.

I also work on the clearing lines at Liverpool as as long as you have your 5 A*-C's and including Maths and English, they don't care about your GCSE grades at all for any subjects outside of medicine/dentistry/vetinary.

Edit: I just realised that you want to do medicine. Liverpool expect 7A's as a minimum but a lot of uni's look at the UKCAT instead of GCSE's so just do well in that and make sure you research what uni's to apply to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
Not rare at all :smile:

Your GCSEs will let you get into prestigious universities for any of those courses (including medicine). However, to receive more specific advice than that you'd firstly have to have a better idea of exactly what you want to end up doing as they are very different courses.

A word of advice about medicine from a current med student at a "prestigious" RG university though - prestige makes precisely no difference whatsoever in this profession. It won't get you a better job once you qualify and it certainly won't make you a superior doctor. Different med schools also have different GCSE requirements so you'll need to check carefully before applying.

Yes, no, I can understand that. I just wanted a more general idea as to whether I was completely shut out.

I was only referring to top russell group universities as I might want to do an arts degree. I know that it makes absolutely no difference, where exactly you a medical degree. But thank you for your advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got into UCL with the same GCSEs as you, albeit for a less competitive course than medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending