The Student Room Group

Where is the most left wing area of England?

In which town/region would you find the most left wingers? real left wing not labour obviously.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 4TSR
In which town/region would you find the most left wingers? real left wing not labour obviously.

The north east region is the only region in England in which the Tories don't breach 30%. Without comparing turnout though I can't say whether the right does not vote (simply anti Tory) or whether it does not exist.
Depends what you mean by 'real left wingers'. Maybe Brighton [Green Party]
Reply 3
Original post by Alesha1991
Depends what you mean by 'real left wingers'. Maybe Brighton [Green Party]

Hmmm I was thinking more of communism/Marxism - the greens are neither.
Original post by 4TSR
Hmmm I was thinking more of communism/Marxism - the greens are neither.

There ain't many old-style Marxists about and those that are often fail to grasp Britain has moved on from the 70s and 80s.
Reply 5
Original post by Moosferatu
There ain't many old-style Marxists about and those that are often fail to grasp Britain has moved on from the 70s and 80s.

You won't be saying that when capitalism eats it self up and the world takes a jump to the left :smile:
Original post by 4TSR
You won't be saying that when capitalism eats it self up and the world takes a jump to the left :smile:

I have little doubt that I will. What I mean is most hard left people I've met speak as if Britain is still an industrial power and that actions like strikes are going to achieve anything other than angering the right-wing public and being put on a watchlist.
Reply 7
Original post by 4TSR

Will never happen. Our moderated capitalism is now driving us to space which in itself could slash the cost of production for many goods. Couple that with the rest of the world innovating and we have a bright future.

The only bad part to capitalism is in unregulated finance and as Keynes once said, capitalism produces an upward staircase.
Sheffield is pretty left-wing. As is most of the NE.
No idea; but where ever it is, I'll be staying as far away from it as I can.
Islington.
Reply 11
Original post by Rakas21
Will never happen. Our moderated capitalism is now driving us to space which in itself could slash the cost of production for many goods. Couple that with the rest of the world innovating and we have a bright future.

The only bad part to capitalism is in unregulated finance and as Keynes once said, capitalism produces an upward staircase.

Not moderated enough :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by bubble999
No idea; but where ever it is, I'll be staying as far away from it as I can.

You will soon change your mind :smile: Britain is going down the crapper for everyone other than the rich and politicians.
Reply 13
Manchester is pretty left imo.
Reply 14
Original post by Rakas21

Oh and Communist Russia went to space :smile:
Original post by 4TSR

Yes but there's no reason to tax people for something the private sector will do. A couple of companies are going for space mining now.
Reply 16
Original post by Rakas21
Yes but there's no reason to tax people for something the private sector will do. A couple of companies are going for space mining now.

What are we taxing people for that companies can do? Tax money will be spent to please tax payers with proper efficient public services where private companies will spend tax money, through privatisation, to please shareholders with profit in mind.

I do understand this is not the place for this subject since I am just asking where to go to if I want to live in a very left wing area.
North London i.e. Islington and Camden, especially Bloomsbury (the parts around the University of London) still feel pretty left leaning.
Original post by 4TSR

Marxism - the quick way to destroying a country, great!
Original post by 4TSR

and millions of people starved to death, if you value human live, you do not support communism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending