The Student Room Group

I (20 M) broke up with my gilrfriend (22 F) of 8 months because she wanted an open re

I made a throwaway, some of these people have reddit accounts.

A week ago my then girlfriend A asked me for an open relationship because A wanted to sleep with some a mutual friend (B). She tried explaining why she liked B and said some stupid **** about it being good for us. As soon as she finished talking I told her we were done. She started crying, saying she asked for a reason and wouldn't if I said no, but I told her that just wanting to be with someone else is enough of a reason to break up with her.

Two days goes by, she's trying to get me back this whole time. All my friends (including B) are asking for me to take her back, and saying they thought I was more "progressive" and "cool" about things (We're all stupid, young "enlightened" college kids). So I've been arguing with them and trying to ignore A, even telling her to get with B and leave me alone.

This might not have been the most tactful thing to do, but I decided to go on a date with a girl I met in class last semester. I normally start dating pretty quickly after ending a relationship, and get pretty flustered if I go too long without being intimate with anyone. I went on the date, and some of those friends found out.

They all got really mad at me, saying stuff like you should have just stayed with A and been in an open relationship, and they're freezing me out of the group. B in particular is upset with me for making him and A "less close"(apparently in a bid to win me back she said she wouldn't be friends with him, I told her not to bother).

Anyways, I was wondering if I could get some advice for this situation. I don't think I want to be friends with any of them, but they're in all the clubs I'm in and have the same interests as me. My only other major group of friends I have is my high school group, and we just play intramural soccer and xbox. Are there any ways of making other friends with the same interests as me if all of the friends I made in clubs are done with me?

tl;dr-My friends picked my girlfriend over me, I met all these friends in college clubs/groups. Where can I find new friends with similar interests if these clubs/groups now hate me?

Edit- Thanks to everyone telling me to stay the course. I'm pretty sure I'm done with most of these people.

Edit2- Wow thanks for all the advice everyone has given me. A lot of people are saying I might have jumped the gun on breaking up with her, and that it's natural to be attracted to other people in a relationship. That's true, but I think there's a difference between actively trying to hook up with that person and accepting it's just a crush and staying committed. I guess I could have phrased that better. I wouldn't break up with someone for just having a harmless crush on someone else. I don't think this was harmless this time though. Once again, thanks to everyone.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I made a throwaway, some of these people have reddit accounts.

A week ago my then girlfriend A asked me for an open relationship because A wanted to sleep with some a mutual friend (B). She tried explaining why she liked B and said some stupid **** about it being good for us. As soon as she finished talking I told her we were done. She started crying, saying she asked for a reason and wouldn't if I said no, but I told her that just wanting to be with someone else is enough of a reason to break up with her.

Two days goes by, she's trying to get me back this whole time. All my friends (including B) are asking for me to take her back, and saying they thought I was more "progressive" and "cool" about things (We're all stupid, young "enlightened" college kids). So I've been arguing with them and trying to ignore A, even telling her to get with B and leave me alone.

This might not have been the most tactful thing to do, but I decided to go on a date with a girl I met in class last semester. I normally start dating pretty quickly after ending a relationship, and get pretty flustered if I go too long without being intimate with anyone. I went on the date, and some of those friends found out.

They all got really mad at me, saying stuff like you should have just stayed with A and been in an open relationship, and they're freezing me out of the group. B in particular is upset with me for making him and A "less close"(apparently in a bid to win me back she said she wouldn't be friends with him, I told her not to bother).

Anyways, I was wondering if I could get some advice for this situation. I don't think I want to be friends with any of them, but they're in all the clubs I'm in and have the same interests as me. My only other major group of friends I have is my high school group, and we just play intramural soccer and xbox. Are there any ways of making other friends with the same interests as me if all of the friends I made in clubs are done with me?

tl;dr-My friends picked my girlfriend over me, I met all these friends in college clubs/groups. Where can I find new friends with similar interests if these clubs/groups now hate me?

Edit- Thanks to everyone telling me to stay the course. I'm pretty sure I'm done with most of these people.

Edit2- Wow thanks for all the advice everyone has given me. A lot of people are saying I might have jumped the gun on breaking up with her, and that it's natural to be attracted to other people in a relationship. That's true, but I think there's a difference between actively trying to hook up with that person and accepting it's just a crush and staying committed. I guess I could have phrased that better. I wouldn't break up with someone for just having a harmless crush on someone else. I don't think this was harmless this time though. Once again, thanks to everyone.

You made the right calls on all counts OP (though you may want to make up with your friends if you explain you want one loving woman).

On the girl point you did the right thing. One can look all they want but talking or acting is too far. Your not a submissive boy so its reasonable to demand loyalty from your woman.

On the friends, they sound like hippies. That being said its your choice who your friends are.
Reply 2

I'm the 2nd comment :eek:
If you don't wan an open relationship, you don't want one simple as. I wouldn't want my boyfriend asking me for an open relationship so that he could sleep with one of our mutual friends. You should ask your friends that if their girlfriend wanted to have sex with you would they accept it? I pretty much doubt so- but some may say yes you never know lol.

And lol and the above comment I had to rep as this will only be the third comment so I don't know why you were thanking 'everyone' when there was only two replies-one actually giving advice lol. XD
Reply 4
Original post by Wonderer1
If you don't wan an open relationship, you don't want one simple as. I wouldn't want my boyfriend asking me for an open relationship so that he could sleep with one of our mutual friends. You should ask your friends that if their girlfriend wanted to have sex with you would they accept it? I pretty much doubt so- but some may say yes you never know lol.

And lol and the above comment I had to rep as this will only be the third comment so I don't know why you were thanking 'everyone' when there was only two replies-one actually giving advice lol. XD

He was thanking 'everyone' even when there were no replies :biggrin: !
Original post by JoshZ
He was thanking 'everyone' even when there were no replies :biggrin: !

LOOOOOL!
Lol white people drama be craycray.

They've horribly missed the point about progressive sexual politics then, the point is for polyamory to be an option, not compulsory!
I totally understand you not wanting to get involved with someone who wants an open relationship.

I guess i'd feel the same way as you - that the relationship is over.
Reply 9

Good on you! I'd do exactly the same thing tbh. But I guess your only option would be to drop out of those clubs and join new ones. :tongue:
Reply 10
Nah mate what you did was very sensible and normal. No offense but your old girlfriend and friends sound really dumb to think it was acceptable to have relationships with other guys while she was with you :s-smilie:
I had the same problem with my ex. Though none of the friend stuff to make it all the more annoying. It would seem you made the right choices. Though the date just after as you suggested maybe wasn't all that tactful.
How long were you and 'A' going out for?
Idk she was only asking, least she did it upfront rather than going behind your back cheating. If she thought you all thought the same way in the open front then it seems a bit harsh dumping her for just sounding you out. I think for a girl to look at another guy, particularly more than one while in a relationship is giving him the come on as the guy could very well chat her up of the back of that so if a girl is being faithful to one guy she shouldn't do that, it sends out the wrong signals and messes guys around.
be rid of her, she obviously doesn't love you enough for you to be enough for her. She is keeping you because you are her furniture in the background

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending