The Student Room Group

Switching to integrated Masters- SFE being unhepful

For the past 3 years, I've been doing a BSc in Zoology at Sheffield. This year, the uni brought in the option for BSc students who had met a certain set of criteria to switch onto the Integrated Masters (MBiolSci) course. Long story short, I met those criteria, so I'm staying on for an extra year.

Trouble is, I've been mucked about by both the university and Student Finance over acquiring funding for my final year. The university told me it was my responsibility to tell SFE of my change in circumstances, whilst SFE told me that as their records showed me to have graduated, the university needed to confirm that I was yet to complete the course. Got in touch with someone more helpful at the uni who told SFE about my change in circumstances, but the website still won't let me apply as a continuing student. Rang SFE again this afternoon, and the woman on t'other end expressed doubt that SFE even funds people in my situation. All the advisers I've spoken to over the past few weeks have seemed very confused about this, too.

Basically, before I waste even more time on the phone: has anyone here ever applied to switch to an Integrated Masters course in their third year, and did SFE give you any money, and did they dig their heels in about doing it? Because if it turns out I'm not eligible for funding, I'll be pretty annoyed that the university didn't research this properly and warn people before offering the option to switch onto the other course.

Ta!
Original post by klipspringer
For the past 3 years, I've been doing a BSc in Zoology at Sheffield. This year, the uni brought in the option for BSc students who had met a certain set of criteria to switch onto the Integrated Masters (MBiolSci) course. Long story short, I met those criteria, so I'm staying on for an extra year.

Trouble is, I've been mucked about by both the university and Student Finance over acquiring funding for my final year. The university told me it was my responsibility to tell SFE of my change in circumstances, whilst SFE told me that as their records showed me to have graduated, the university needed to confirm that I was yet to complete the course. Got in touch with someone more helpful at the uni who told SFE about my change in circumstances, but the website still won't let me apply as a continuing student. Rang SFE again this afternoon, and the woman on t'other end expressed doubt that SFE even funds people in my situation. All the advisers I've spoken to over the past few weeks have seemed very confused about this, too.

Basically, before I waste even more time on the phone: has anyone here ever applied to switch to an Integrated Masters course in their third year, and did SFE give you any money, and did they dig their heels in about doing it? Because if it turns out I'm not eligible for funding, I'll be pretty annoyed that the university didn't research this properly and warn people before offering the option to switch onto the other course.

Ta!

As long as you haven't graduated from your BSc then you should be eligible for funding for the integrated masters year.
Thanks jelly- that's what I thought but that seems to be way too complicated a concept for some of the reps I've spoken to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending