The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

University student amateur boxing

Has anyone who is starting at Winchester University this September done any Amateur Boxing before? I'm hoping to get a new campus~based, student~run Boxing Club set up this Autumn as it's currently the only major sport which isn't on offer.
ive never competed but ive done a bit of training/sparring, i was hoping to take it up more seriously at university but winchester didnt offer it
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Original post by Amabox
Has anyone who is starting at Winchester University this September done any Amateur Boxing before? I'm hoping to get a new campus~based, student~run Boxing Club set up this Autumn as it's currently the only major sport which isn't on offer.

There's a reason it's not on offer though :P All those head traumas will really affect you (at the very least in later life).
Reply 3
Original post by TaxusBaccata
ive never competed but ive done a bit of training/sparring, i was hoping to take it up more seriously at university but winchester didnt offer it

It does now! See you at the Boxing Club Stall @ Fresher's Fayre on Saturday, 20th September, 2015.
Reply 4
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
There's a reason it's not on offer though :P All those head traumas will really affect you (at the very least in later life).

Rubbish! Nonsense! There's not the slightest shred of medical or scientific evidence to suggest that the average amateur boxer, after an average career in amateur boxing, is at any risk of suffering from clinically~significant cognitive dysfunction. You don't have to take my word for it - just read a copy of the British Medical Association's slim booklet so misleadingly entitled "The Boxing Debate" ..........
Original post by Amabox
Rubbish! Nonsense! There's not the slightest shred of medical or scientific evidence to suggest that the average amateur boxer, after an average career in amateur boxing, is at any risk of suffering from clinically~significant cognitive dysfunction. You don't have to take my word for it - just read a copy of the British Medical Association's slim booklet so misleadingly entitled "The Boxing Debate" ..........

The Boxing debate was written in 1993. Since then, BMA has repeatedly called for bans on boxing and MMA.

The BMA 2001 report acknowledged that the evidence for chronic traumatic brain injury in amateur boxing was “far less clear cut” than in professional boxing. Emphasis being on "far less clear cut". You used a huge leap of faith to go from that to " no risk of suffering from clinically significant cognitive dysfunction".

i'll take my chances
Reply 7
The Boxing debate was written in 1993. Since then, BMA has repeatedly called for bans on boxing and MMA.

The BMA 2001 report acknowledged that the evidence for chronic traumatic brain injury in amateur boxing was “far less clear cut” than in professional boxing. Emphasis being on "far less clear cut". You used a huge leap of faith to go from that to " no risk of suffering from clinically significant cognitive dysfunction".

Kindly complete the quotation from "The Boxing Debate" that you have just started! We all need to know how it continues ......
Reply 8
Doesn't the quotation read something like this : -

"because a number of well~controlled studies found no evidence of brain damage in amateur boxers who remained amateur and didn't go on to compete as professionals?"
Reply 9
I'll be helping to staff the Boxing stall at Fresher's Fayre this coming Saturday from 11.00 - 15.00 if anyone wants to drop in and say hello .......
Reply 10
The whole brain trauma argument is only real if you're really getting hit hard in the head. If you want to compete - you have to make an educated decision. If you're not competing though - you will not be hit hard in the head. You will be mostly doing cardio, bag, sparring will be "light" and everything focused mainly on technique. There is an amateur boxing club in Winchester already, not student run though - look them up on FB.
Filip Duda, who coaches at Winchester City Boxing Club, will be running a weekly Boxercise class on campus for students starting on 6th November. Meantime feel free to head down to the Garrison Grounds, adjacent to Winchester University's outdoor sports facilities, where Fil's small but well~equipped gym is located!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending