The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni for an apprenticeship?

I've just finished my first year of uni but I've recently been looking into apprenticeships for accounting and like the idea of it.

Does anyone have any opinions on dropping out of uni to do an apprenticeship?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
If your heart isn't set on the degree that you're doing, then it's just a waste of time. You won't get the motivation you need to succeed. So from the sounds of things, you're better off not continuing with your current course.

Have you considered transferring to the BA Accounting course at your university? They might let you transfer directly onto the second year so you won't exactly have 'wasted' a year.
Honestly, finish what you started.

It may not be what you want and believe me, I know how that feels, however you have already completed 33% of your degree - you can finish the rest and have a full degree behind you for the rest of your life.

An apprenticeship will always be available afterwards.

Dig deep and push through the degree - it will be worth it in the long run.
Reply 3
I dropped out of Uni and am going down the apprenticeship route!

Honestly, when it comes to careers, go with your heart. Don't make yourself go through university to keep others (i.e. family) happy, if you feel like you're in the wrong place and want to try a different route; do it. You're young, you have to try lots of different things out until you find something that fits and feels right. Uni gets a lot of hype these days, but realistically it's not right for everybody.

I doubt your family will be disappointed, it's not like you want to drop out due to laziness and then do nothing afterwards; you're still chasing a career and your family should be supportive! I was worried my parents would be annoyed with me, but actually they totally understood how I felt and have been great :smile:

Just a side note: You if you decide to finish uni and do an apprenticeship afterwards, you won't be able to. University graduates an ineligible for apprenticeships due to government funding...so it's either stay at uni then get a job, or drop out now and do an apprenticeship.
Reply 4
I'm in the same boat, I left university after 2 years wasted/failed, so I have no transferrable credits or none relevant to the industry anyway. I was following might have appeared to be a rewarding degree but it was nothing more of a show off towards my family and they were expecting me to fly through it. I have the regret of ever going to university now but the past can't be changed. Everything was understood by the family when I eventually explained why it didn't feel right.

I've applied for an apprenticeship which I hope will start next week following an interview which I have to be prepared for no matter what, since this is the best chance I have at full-time paid employment, as opposed to the voluntary schemes the jobcentre has referred me to. Otherwise i'm stuck in the same loop as everyone else on the jobseekers allowance and jobsearch, which I have no experience relevant to the industry that I'm interested in.

Contrary to the thread title, I had no choice about leaving university, I would have had to pay the tuition fees out of my own pocket if i'd wanted to continue, thus an apprenticeship would be the only logical choice as the way forward.
Hi there,

Many first year students will realise they've made a mistake, drop out of university and decide to do an apprenticeship/school leaver programme instead. You may think of it as a year wasted but it's better to know that now and start making the change than spend more money and come out with a debt for a degree that's not relevant to what you're wanting to do/you didn't need to get.

I'd definitely say have more of a look into apprenticeships from the accountancy firms, try and go to an insight day or contact them directly and see whether they've got any advice for you.

You can look here to find out a bit more about what apprentices at the big accountancy firms say about their decision choice as well as the actual programme and experiences they've had.

These routes are actually fantastic ways to fast-track a career in accountancy or finance and get you to the place of a graduate sometimes faster than a degree would.

Good luck!

Felicity
Original post by Felicity RMA
Hi there,

Many first year students will realise they've made a mistake, drop out of university and decide to do an apprenticeship/school leaver programme instead. You may think of it as a year wasted but it's better to know that now and start making the change than spend more money and come out with a debt for a degree that's not relevant to what you're wanting to do/you didn't need to get.

I'd definitely say have more of a look into apprenticeships from the accountancy firms, try and go to an insight day or contact them directly and see whether they've got any advice for you.

You can look here to find out a bit more about what apprentices at the big accountancy firms say about their decision choice as well as the actual programme and experiences they've had.

These routes are actually fantastic ways to fast-track a career in accountancy or finance and get you to the place of a graduate sometimes faster than a degree would.

Good luck!

Felicity

Nothing like plugging.

Hopefully the OP has decided to stick it out. Prospective employers like finishers.
Original post by Lee R

Hopefully the OP has decided to stick it out. Prospective employers like finishers.

They like good, motivated finishers who have experience. Dropping out of university after one year, is early enough not to be judged. Dropping out again afterwards again would be looked upon a bit.

So if the apprenticeship is, what you really want, then do it. As student finance covers four years, you would be still eligible, if you decide to go back to university after the apprenticeship.
Original post by nmr1991
I'm in the same boat, I left university after 2 years wasted/failed, so I have no transferrable credits or none relevant to the industry anyway. I was following might have appeared to be a rewarding degree but it was nothing more of a show off towards my family and they were expecting me to fly through it. I have the regret of ever going to university now but the past can't be changed. Everything was understood by the family when I eventually explained why it didn't feel right.

I've applied for an apprenticeship which I hope will start next week following an interview which I have to be prepared for no matter what, since this is the best chance I have at full-time paid employment, as opposed to the voluntary schemes the jobcentre has referred me to. Otherwise i'm stuck in the same loop as everyone else on the jobseekers allowance and jobsearch, which I have no experience relevant to the industry that I'm interested in.

Contrary to the thread title, I had no choice about leaving university, I would have had to pay the tuition fees out of my own pocket if i'd wanted to continue, thus an apprenticeship would be the only logical choice as the way forward.

Sounds absolutely awful man, especially the part about the dreaded and hated jobcentre, I hate them so much!! :frown:

What degree was it by the way?

I have this problem where I want to study forensic/criminal psychology, but I'm scared of how hard it is to even get anywhere near psychology jobs.

I thought about doing engineering, but I'm barely interested in it, and it's harder than most degrees.
Original post by Nathanielle
They like good, motivated finishers who have experience. Dropping out of university after one year, is early enough not to be judged. Dropping out again afterwards again would be looked upon a bit.

So if the apprenticeship is, what you really want, then do it. As student finance covers four years, you would be still eligible, if you decide to go back to university after the apprenticeship.

Just don't do a HNC while you're in your apprenticeship....that will cause a mess with student funding.
Original post by tinyflame
Sounds absolutely awful man, especially the part about the dreaded and hated jobcentre, I hate them so much!! :frown:

What degree was it by the way?

I have this problem where I want to study forensic/criminal psychology, but I'm scared of how hard it is to even get anywhere near psychology jobs.

I thought about doing engineering, but I'm barely interested in it, and it's harder than most degrees.

It was computer science/software engineering 1st year which was pretty much same units as every other subject in the department of technology. You'd think it might give you insight into more of the IT sector but I suppose I didn't see it in the same light as other people do.

I don't regret failing (as I didn't do my best) because I lacked motivation as I was the first in my family to go to university so that added some pressure, but also as I did so well in college I became so ignorant that I pretended to know everything about the subject, it took its toll in the end.

I wish I had done a foundation degree or an HNC/HND just to get a taste of what it might be like but I favoured the prospect of living in halls because I wanted that independence and a degree that lasts for 3/4 years would be ideal in that respect.

I have since abandoned the hope of getting an apprenticeship because most have denied my applications due to age and a 3 year gap where I pretty much made no progress in terms of education or jobs (essentially a waste of 3 years which doesn't look good on the CV).
Original post by nmr1991
It was computer science/software engineering 1st year which was pretty much same units as every other subject in the department of technology. You'd think it might give you insight into more of the IT sector but I suppose I didn't see it in the same light as other people do.

I don't regret failing (as I didn't do my best) because I lacked motivation as I was the first in my family to go to university so that added some pressure, but also as I did so well in college I became so ignorant that I pretended to know everything about the subject, it took its toll in the end.

I wish I had done a foundation degree or an HNC/HND just to get a taste of what it might be like but I favoured the prospect of living in halls because I wanted that independence and a degree that lasts for 3/4 years would be ideal in that respect.

This is exactly my problem with engineering, I would like to try it out by doing a HNC, but they affect your student finance? :frown:

On the other hand, I know psychology is not exactly a degree with the best career prospects (which I fear), but I just can't think of the prospect of studying engineering for 3/4 years for the sake of "better" career stability.

I have since abandoned the hope of getting an apprenticeship because most have denied my applications due to age and a 3 year gap where I pretty much made no progress in terms of education or jobs (essentially a waste of 3 years which doesn't look good on the CV).

Wooww, I swear I wish I could help you man, this sounds awful. :frown:
I completely forgot the fact that even apprenticeships are not easy to get into.
You will have t go through interviews, dexterity tests etc. :frown:
How are you dealing with JSA though, their job is basically to sanction and stop people's money now?

Also would you say that studying something for career prospects is bad?
I have this problem at the moment :frown:, I'm just too scared of pursuing psychology.
Original post by nmr1991

Hi NMR,

I hope you do still keep looking for apprenticeships and if you have a look at www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk you can see a whole host of reviews of those who have been a similar situation.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Amit
Original post by Sam Walters
Just don't do a HNC while you're in your apprenticeship....that will cause a mess with student funding.

Hi Sam, would doing a level 3 apprenticeship be fine after leaving university?
Original post by student985
Hi Sam, would doing a level 3 apprenticeship be fine after leaving university?

Are you considering dropping out of university, for an apprenticeship?
Yes, I am considering
Hey there I just wana ask did u start applying for apprenticeship before u dropped out soo u have a confirmed place and then dropped out. It dropped out and then started looking ?
Original post by LizMrg
I dropped out of Uni and am going down the apprenticeship route!

Honestly, when it comes to careers, go with your heart. Don't make yourself go through university to keep others (i.e. family) happy, if you feel like you're in the wrong place and want to try a different route; do it. You're young, you have to try lots of different things out until you find something that fits and feels right. Uni gets a lot of hype these days, but realistically it's not right for everybody.

I doubt your family will be disappointed, it's not like you want to drop out due to laziness and then do nothing afterwards; you're still chasing a career and your family should be supportive! I was worried my parents would be annoyed with me, but actually they totally understood how I felt and have been great :smile:

Just a side note: You if you decide to finish uni and do an apprenticeship afterwards, you won't be able to. University graduates an ineligible for apprenticeships due to government funding...so it's either stay at uni then get a job, or drop out now and do an apprenticeship.

hey there I just wanted to know weather u dropped out and then looked for a apprenticeship or started applying during ur year of uni and when u has confirmed a position then dropped out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending