The Student Room Group

What are student houses/dorms like?

Hey I'm applying for uni next year and was wondering what the accommodation is like, how would you describe your student house or dorm, is it just he bare minimum or is it a nice place to live?
They vary enormously, both between unis and between individual halls.

Mine wasn't particularly plush, but actually it started to feel like hope soon enough, as I decorated it with posters, fairy lights, cushions and so on.

In terms of actually things that were provided, there was a single bed, desk, wardrobe, chair and shelves in the bedroom, and in the kitchen (shared between 8) there were two ovens, two grills, 8 hob rings, a microwave, a toaster, a kettle, dining table, dining chairs and some armchairs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Wow 8 people xD was it in a house or a hall?
Original post by Taelii
Wow 8 people xD was it in a house or a hall?

That was a flat in halls, though my second year house had 7 people in it!

The more the merrier though - the more people you live with, the more potential friends you have.

Posted from TAR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
That was a flat in halls, though my second year house had 7 people in it!

The more the merrier though - the more people you live with, the more potential friends you have.

Posted from TAR Mobile

What did you prefer, the house or the hall?
Original post by Taelii
What did you prefer, the house or the hall?

Both had their merits - the hall was great because it allowed me to meet and make friends with people I never would have meet otherwise, it was well maintained and fantastically well heated.

My second year house had a fantastic group of people (I would go on to date one, though we've since broken up) - but I never would have met them if I'd not been in halls, and it's not the sort of thing that could ever be used to inform someone else's decision making. The house was bigger and there were double beds, but there were maintenance problems so odd that I've been dining out on the stories ever since, and between the high Victorian ceilings, single glazing, zero insulation, a harsh winter and typical student stinginess, we did all get rather good at learning how to keep warm (hot water bottles stuffed up your hoodie whilst revising? Totally normal)
Reply 6
Thx for the help, sounds like the halls are a nice place to live, and sorry to hear about your breakup :/
Go to open days to see different halls as all halls are different within universities :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest