The Student Room Group

Good enough for chemical engineering?

I am very nervous whether my GCSEs will put me down if i apply to imperial college for chemical engineering. My GCSEs were 4A 2B 4C with A in english language and chemistry. I heard its very competitive and that my GCSEs will put me at a disadvantage. The a levels i chose were maths, chemistry, physics,electronics and economics. Obviously I'm aiming for 4As at AS.

Are GCSEs good enough and if not, what could i do to increase my chances of being a successful applicant?

P.S. What if i dont have further maths?!
Reply 1
Original post by gavss
I am very nervous whether my GCSEs will put me down if i apply to imperial college for chemical engineering. My GCSEs were 4A 2B 4C with A in english language and chemistry. I heard its very competitive and that my GCSEs will put me at a disadvantage. The a levels i chose were maths, chemistry, physics,electronics and economics. Obviously I'm aiming for 4As at AS.

Are GCSEs good enough and if not, what could i do to increase my chances of being a successful applicant?

Your a levels are more important than your gcses when applying to university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gavss

All you can do is look forward and concentrate on getting good A levels. You most certainly do not need FM although it is a slight advantage.

Obviously I'm aiming for 4As at AS.

:rofl:
Reply 3
Original post by ElChapo
Your a levels are more important than your gcses when applying to university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

I heard that this course is very competitive, hence most people have A*s at GCSE.

Also, what if i dont have further maths? How much maths is in chemical engineering?
Reply 4
Original post by addylad
All you can do is look forward and concentrate on getting good A levels. You most certainly do not need FM although it is a slight advantage.

Okay.I already have an A (90 UMS)
In C1 and M1. I have gotten As in chemistry ( but for the first 2 units only) and an A in the first unit in physics.

:rofl:

Do you think I'm not capable of getting the requirement?
Reply 5
I already have an A (90 UMS)
In C1 and M1. I have gotten As in chemistry ( but for the first 2 units only) and an A in the first unit in physics.
Original post by gavss
Do you think I'm not capable of getting the requirement?

Wow dude you messed up my quote!

No, it's the fact that you put 'obviously'. Aside from the fact that you mentioned it in your post, it wasn't obvious. It just came across as 'I'm on TSR, therefore I must be aiming for straight As'.
Reply 7
Original post by addylad
Wow dude you messed up my quote!

No, it's the fact that you put 'obviously'. Aside from the fact that you mentioned it in your post, it wasn't obvious. It just came across as 'I'm on TSR, therefore I must be aiming for straight As'.

Yeah, thats because i didn't separate your two quotations. I suppose you're right. However, I've been looking into my subjects during the summer and I've found them very enjoyable. I am aiming for 4As at AS. How much would my gcses put me back? Also, how can i improve my chances?
Original post by gavss
Yeah, thats because i didn't separate your two quotations. I suppose you're right. However, I've been looking into my subjects during the summer and I've found them very enjoyable. I am aiming for 4As at AS. How much would my gcses put me back? Also, how can i improve my chances?

I wouldn't worry too much about GCSEs. They're almost insignificant, and AS grades will be the most important factor (at this stage). Worrying won't do anything but potentially harm your psyche. Your best bet is a) doing well at AS and A2, b) getting a really strong personal statement, and c) practicing your interview skills.
Reply 9
Original post by addylad
I wouldn't worry too much about GCSEs. They're almost insignificant, and AS grades will be the most important factor (at this stage). Worrying won't do anything but potentially harm your psyche. Your best bet is a) doing well at AS and A2, b) getting a really strong personal statement, and c) practicing your interview skills.

Alright, Thanks for the advice

Are you an engineering student? If so, which institution?
Original post by gavss
Alright, Thanks for the advice

Are you an engineering student? If so, which institution?

No problem! :smile: Chemical engineering at Strathclyde, yes.
Good to see that you know what you want to do early! I didn't choose until 2 months after AS results day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest