The Student Room Group

Cambridge SPS applicants

I'd be very grateful if any Cambridge SPS applicants (successful or not!) could indicate what other (similar) courses at other universities they applied to. My brother is looking for good alternatives if he doesn't get in for SPS.

He's interested in politics, philosophy, but not economics. There's loads of social sciencey type courses around but it's difficult to get the low down on whether they are any good. I suspect that loads of them are not.

Any ideas anyone?
Reply 1
Hi,
it really depends what he wants from the course. For example if he is interested in east european politics then a place such as the school of slavonic and east european studies, or crees( the centre of east european studies) would have courses in politics well suited to his interests.

other than that the only other assistance i can offer is to say that i have heard oxford and essex both have very good politics departments. and sheffield too. so it may be worthwhile looking at their sites to gain some idea of the structure of their courses, the interests and topics they cover and the staff and student composition etc.

hope this helps.
Reply 2
Politics and Philosophy at Sheffield is supposed to be an excellent course. Although your brother does not like economics, most PPE courses would allow him to drop it after the first year.
Reply 3
Hedgie
I'd be very grateful if any Cambridge SPS applicants (successful or not!) could indicate what other (similar) courses at other universities they applied to. My brother is looking for good alternatives if he doesn't get in for SPS.

He's interested in politics, philosophy, but not economics. There's loads of social sciencey type courses around but it's difficult to get the low down on whether they are any good. I suspect that loads of them are not.

Any ideas anyone?

essex is pretty good for that kinda stuff, search ucas for courses
Yes, the Politics and Philosophy course at Sheffield is extremely highly regarded.

I applied to do SPS at Cambridge, and got rejected. Hmm.

As you asked... I applied to (all Politics based) :

Sheffield - Politics
Manchester - Politics and International Relations
LSE - Government (ample opportunity for outside options in other social sciences)
Nottingham - Politics
and Durham - Politics

Personally, I found Durham and Nottingham dreadful, and the other three all very good.
Reply 5
i aplied for sps at cambridge (got AAA offer) and politics at:
durham -ABB
warwick - ABB
Cardiff - BBB
Bristol - AAA
Edinburgh - got rejected

hope that helps
Reply 6
whocares
i aplied for sps at cambridge (got AAA offer) and politics at:
durham -ABB
warwick - ABB
Cardiff - BBB
Bristol - AAA
Edinburgh - got rejected

hope that helps

I got into Politics at Edinburgh... strangely ( :tongue: )

Why on earth did they reject you anyway? It's not like them to knock back a promising candidate.
Reply 7
Hedgie

Any ideas anyone?

SPS is a very wide social science tripos, and it comprises of four key subjects: Sociology, Politics, Anthropology and Social Psychology.

Therefore I would suggest looking for degrees comprising of those subjects. For instance, my choices comprised of:

-LL23 Politics and Sociology
-LL32 Social Political Sciences
-LL34 Sociology and Social Policy

Hope this is of help!

Steve Paine
Reply 8
Paine
SPS is a very wide social science tripos, and it comprises of four key subjects: Sociology, Politics, Anthropology and Social Psychology.

Therefore I would suggest looking for degrees comprising of those subjects. For instance, my choices comprised of:

-LL23 Politics and Sociology
-LL32 Social Political Sciences
-LL34 Sociology and Social Policy

Hope this is of help!

Steve Paine

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions -most helpful!
Steve - what is LL please?

Latest

Trending

Trending