The Student Room Group

Are all Russell Group unis good?

Does it matter which Russell Group uni you go to or are they all good? I didn't do so well so I didn't get into UCL for Computer Science but I'm now doing Computer Science with Industrial Experience at Queen Mary, University of London. I'm starting to feel concerned since Queen Mary is ranked the lowest out of all the Russell Group and is quite lower than I thought it would be on the national tables.
They are all good universities. But they are not the only good universities.
They are all very good universities.
...emmm....getting a first will make more of difference...me thinks ...focus on that...brapz
Reply 4
Bath>Queen Mary for example (Bath is not russell group)
so there are exceptions ofc
Reply 5
Russell Group are RESEARCH focused universities.

They are best for doing a phd.

Not always in terms of teaching. I did a masters at QMUL with some pretty crap teaching in a few modules.
Reply 6
Generally all will be "good" or "respected" to some degree. But the quality of a university relies on a variety of factors, several of them subjective. As others have stated, a first in your degree will look impressive either way, and no one in their right mind would scoff at someone who achieved such a grade even from the lowest ranked Russell Group institutions.

People too often make the mistake that the Russell Group has any direct correlation to the actual quality, or even prestige, of a university. While I don't think any within the RG are "bad", there are plenty of universities outside of it that match and more often than not outrank several within it. The Russell Group is, as stressed time and time again, a collective of research intensive universities. Realistically, the name should not hold as much clout in regards to undergraduate students as it currently does.
QM is clearly not as good as UCL for undergrad but it's not...bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending