The Student Room Group

Laptop or Ipad?

I'm really struggling to decide on what device to get for uni. I'm studying medicine.

My general criteria are:

- mid sized, no more that 14 inches for portability
- access to an app store
- very good battery life
- as many useful features as possible

I'm looking at both a laptop like the hp split or lenobo think pad. The specs dont need to be top of the range, ie, I have a really good webcam on my samsung smart phone and use that for skype etc.

For the same money I could get an ipad, but will that be substantial enough for all uni work? I also realise I have access to computer suites in the library for heavy duty research and essay writing.

I want the app store for the anatomy apps and tutorials as well as normal student things. I dont want an android device as my phone is android.

So, ipad or laptop. Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is your budget?
Reply 2
Up to about £600 pounds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depending on how good "very" good battery is, you're almost certainly looking at a tablet at that price, however a laptop would probably be a better bet, you would probably barely touch a laptop and constantly be going to IT suites to actually do work.
I would go for a laptop...idk just don't really like typing on Ipads, prefer an actual keyboard :tongue:
Original post by chandler1992
I'm really struggling to decide on what device to get for uni. I'm studying medicine.

My general criteria are:

- mid sized, no more that 14 inches for portability
- access to an app store
- very good battery life
- as many useful features as possible

I'm looking at both a laptop like the hp split or lenobo think pad. The specs dont need to be top of the range, ie, I have a really good webcam on my samsung smart phone and use that for skype etc.

For the same money I could get an ipad, but will that be substantial enough for all uni work? I also realise I have access to computer suites in the library for heavy duty research and essay writing.

I want the app store for the anatomy apps and tutorials as well as normal student things. I dont want an android device as my phone is android.

So, ipad or laptop. Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

App store?
Depending on the specs, the thinkpad would be the long lasting solid choise, although albeit heavy compared to competitors, although it is aimed at businesses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending