The Student Room Group

How has this even happened in English Language?

Right. I got a progressive set of grades in my GCSE English Language coursework on Edexcel.

English Today - C and B

Spoken Language - A and A* (21/24 and 24/24)

Yet for Spoken Language, Edexcel have downgraded me to a C! How the hell does this work? It's absolutely ridiculous.

Scroll to see replies

You should be happy at least.. my one is getting remarked I have D... and one mark off a C. at least you passed atm... my ones getting processed
Reply 2
Original post by englishdhsj
You should be happy at least.. my one is getting remarked I have D... and one mark off a C. at least you passed atm... my ones getting processed

I got a B overall with an A on the paper. I'm not disappointed, I just don't understand how the Spoken Language coursework pieces went from an overall A to a C?! It makes no sense. That's ridiculous. A* to an A or A to a B maybe but not two or three grades. Come on.
You mean you got a remark?
It suggests that your school has been vastly over-generous in marking the Spoken Language coursework. This means that regardless of whether you were working at an A* level, the whole school has been moderated down.
Original post by JayJay-C19
Right. I got a progressive set of grades in my GCSE English Language coursework on Edexcel.

English Today - C and B

Spoken Language - A and A* (21/24 and 24/24)

Yet for Spoken Language, Edexcel have downgraded me to a C! How the hell does this work? It's absolutely ridiculous.

Hey :smile: how'd you do overall? You had some pretty nice predicted grades
Original post by manchesterunited15

Yes... lol am a city fan :smile:
I dont get it too.. I got B s and C s in my coursework ended up with one mark off a c.. like wtf
Reply 8
Original post by manchesterunited15

No
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PythianLegume
It suggests that your school has been vastly over-generous in marking the Spoken Language coursework. This means that regardless of whether you were working at an A* level, the whole school has been moderated down.

My teacher was so harsh with marking though? Barely anyone got As and A*s and we were top set (SET 1 of 7). I mean, other teachers in my school were generous for English, giving people who could barely spell, As but my teacher was so harsh. I spoke to her and she said it makes no sense but when one class goes down, they downgrade the whole year. I just don't get why.
Reply 10
Original post by Sacred Ground
Hey :smile: how'd you do overall? You had some pretty nice predicted grades

I did OK... not exactly amazing for my capabilities/predicitions. I missed some As/A*s by a mark or two. Pretty annoying.
My teacher was so harsh with marking though? Barely anyone got As and A*s and we were top set (SET 1 of 7). I mean, other teachers in my school were generous for English, giving people who could barely spell, As but my teacher was so harsh. I spoke to her and she said it makes no sense but when one class goes down, they downgrade the whole year. I just don't get why.

It's certainly an unfair way to moderate by not discriminating between teachers, but I'm afraid I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it.
Reply 12
Original post by PythianLegume
It's certainly an unfair way to moderate by not discriminating between teachers, but I'm afraid I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it.

I'm not planning to, a B is fine by me. I'm doing Literature at AS and got a mark off an A* in that so, I'm happy.

I just wondered if anyone knew why this even happens.
I did OK... not exactly amazing for my capabilities/predicitions. I missed some As/A*s by a mark or two. Pretty annoying.

I know how you feel... I under performed too, I got: 1 A* 8 A's and 3 B's :frown: need to work hard next year!
Reply 14
Original post by Sacred Ground
I know how you feel... I under performed too, I got: 1 A* 8 A's and 3 B's :frown: need to work hard next year!

I'm happy, not ecstatic, but I was gutted on the day.
I got a B overall with an A on the paper. I'm not disappointed, I just don't understand how the Spoken Language coursework pieces went from an overall A to a C?! It makes no sense. That's ridiculous. A* to an A or A to a B maybe but not two or three grades. Come on.

Urgh, they did that **** to me in chemistry. I was told I got an A* in the coursework and then I check my results slip and it says I got a B. Brought my grade to overall B and 4 UMS points off an A. But I probably won't remark it since they don't remark coursework
Reply 16
Original post by ennahaspatience
Urgh, they did that **** to me in chemistry. I was told I got an A* in the coursework and then I check my results slip and it says I got a B. Brought my grade to overall B and 4 UMS points off an A. But I probably won't remark it since they don't remark coursework

It's ridiculous. My teacher was such a harsh marker and I had to work SO hard.

I had some subjects I was like a mark off but I can't be bothered to remark, I don't want to drag it all into my A-Levels (which it will). I got OK grades (for me), above average grades even, and I'd rather just move on to A-Levels.

Good luck with your next stage :smile:
I'm happy, not ecstatic, but I was gutted on the day.

What'd you get overall? If you don't mind me asking
It's ridiculous. My teacher was such a harsh marker and I had to work SO hard.

I had some subjects I was like a mark off but I can't be bothered to remark, I don't want to drag it all into my A-Levels (which it will). I got OK grades (for me), above average grades even, and I'd rather just move on to A-Levels.

Good luck with your next stage :smile:

Yeah same, I really can't be bothered with the whole remark thing. I would rather try my hardest in A levels and not have that distraction. What did you get? I got 1a* 8as and 4bs
Reply 19
Original post by ennahaspatience
Yeah same, I really can't be bothered with the whole remark thing. I would rather try my hardest in A levels and not have that distraction. What did you get? I got 1a* 8as and 4bs

I would rather do that as well. Focus on getting As at AS-Level.

Quick Reply

Latest