The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL Medics 2014

Hey! :smile:

I haven't seen a thread for this yet so I thought I'd make one to get to know all of you other medics out there :biggrin:

So how's everyone feeling about starting this year? ^-^

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi everyone! i didn't get accomodation.
I'm a female non-drinker (health reasons) and not heavily into partying or clubbing.
Wondering if anyone similar to me has any vacancies for flat sharing? Preferably walking distance to Guys campus. please pm me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Hi I'm in the same position! Are you in the fb group? There are many people in the same situation as us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by chowkat
Hi I'm in the same position! Are you in the fb group? There are many people in the same situation as us

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I am, are you ? Would you be interested in flat share or would you commute from home if possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Need accommodation swap from ensuite at Champion Hill to near guys campus? Can anyone help??
Hey guys! So excited for starting :biggrin:
Reply 6
Hey everyone! :biggrin: I didn't know there was a fb group?
What freshers events are you guys planning to go to? :smile:
Reply 7
Hi, well done on getting in everybody! I'm a current med student at King's so if you have any questions about starting, feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by x_ANT
Hi, well done on getting in everybody! I'm a current med student at King's so if you have any questions about starting, feel free to ask :smile:

Hi :smile: I was wondering what the first yr timetable would be like, and how hard/intensive the work is?
Original post by x_ANT

Ooh where was your accommodation for first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Flobie
Ooh where was your accommodation for first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

GDSA
Reply 11
Original post by Blehh
Hi :smile: I was wondering what the first yr timetable would be like, and how hard/intensive the work is?

It's lectures most days, mixed in with tutorials, dissection and some other workshops/practical sessions. Some days are 9-5, and some days are only a few hours. The amount of information to learn is vast, but how much work you put in outside of uni hours is up to you really.
Original post by x_ANT
GDSA

Fab, same. What did you have to bring for the kitchen? Did it have pans etc or did you have to get your own?
Reply 13
Original post by x_ANT
It's lectures most days, mixed in with tutorials, dissection and some other workshops/practical sessions. Some days are 9-5, and some days are only a few hours. The amount of information to learn is vast, but how much work you put in outside of uni hours is up to you really.

Ahh I see thanks :smile: can you recommend any books that would be good for the first yr?
Reply 14
Original post by Flobie
Fab, same. What did you have to bring for the kitchen? Did it have pans etc or did you have to get your own?
No, you have to bring your own pans, plates, cutlery etc. They provide a kettle, microwave and maybe a toaster.
Original post by Blehh
Ahh I see thanks :smile: can you recommend any books that would be good for the first yr?
I didn't buy any books - the lecture notes are what the exam questions are based on so that's the easiest way to keep your notes/knowledge concise for exam purposes. For reading around the subject to aid your understanding, most books are in the library. Some of the biochemistry books are way too detailed for what we need to know, so they're not really worth buying. A lot of people seem to use the At A Glance series for physiology. I would recommend waiting until you start, and see what books you use from the library before buying any for definite :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by x_ANT
No, you have to bring your own pans, plates, cutlery etc. They provide a kettle, microwave and maybe a toaster. I didn't buy any books - the lecture notes are what the exam questions are based on so that's the easiest way to keep your notes/knowledge concise for exam purposes. For reading around the subject to aid your understanding, most books are in the library. Some of the biochemistry books are way too detailed for what we need to know, so they're not really worth buying. A lot of people seem to use the At A Glance series for physiology. I would recommend waiting until you start, and see what books you use from the library before buying any for definite :smile:

Thanks so much! ^-^
Original post by x_ANT
No, you have to bring your own pans, plates, cutlery etc. They provide a kettle, microwave and maybe a toaster.

Great, thanks :smile: one more thing, do you know how much membership to the Guy's campus gym is and what the gym is like?
Reply 17
Original post by x_ANT

Hey! I'm thinking of buying a laptop for uni and was wondering what kind of one would be useful for med (like a smallish 13" one to take in to uni or a bigger one that I wouldn't take in)- do people tend to use laptops or just use the computers on campus?
Reply 18
Can anyone access their timetable online? I don't know why but i can't see mine for some reason (first year medic at KCL here btw :smile: )
Reply 19
Also has anyone applied for the 18+ student oyster card yet? What is our the student enrolment number which the application requires?

Quick Reply

Latest