The Student Room Group

How did this happen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Compost
The sample is more than 6 - for AQA it is all of them or at least 20. Also the mark change can be weighted - more taken off the top or the bottom, e.g. the top marks may not be changed but by the bottom few they are losing 5 each.

The 40% rule is dead. GCSEs are now linear and you have to sit all the exams in the same exam series to get a grade (though you can carry forward controlled assessment from a previous completed GCSE).

They now all have to be in the same exam series.

Sorry i thought these changes only affected the current y10's (11's from september) my bad, i'm outdated then :lol: :frown:
Original post by NooNoo1
maybe you were close to the borderline? it may change :smile:

Hey thanks for your reply. I dont really understand how the ums thingy actually works but on my results sheet it says that i got 207(mark equivelent) and 40 points so i dont really know whether it is reasonable to request a remark before it is too late. Also i think my Coursework shuld be remarked because i am sure(not 100% though) that my papers must have been correctly marked unless my examiner was harsh and followed the strict rules of the markscheme. My exam board was AQA by the way.
Reply 22
Original post by German123
Hey thanks for your reply. I dont really understand how the ums thingy actually works but on my results sheet it says that i got 207(mark equivelent) and 40 points so i dont really know whether it is reasonable to request a remark before it is too late. Also i think my Coursework shuld be remarked because i am sure(not 100% though) that my papers must have been correctly marked unless my examiner was harsh and followed the strict rules of the markscheme. My exam board was AQA by the way.

no problem. my exam board was edexcel. look up the grade boundaries online and see if you have a chance of pulling it up :smile:
Original post by NooNoo1
no problem. my exam board was edexcel. look up the grade boundaries online and see if you have a chance of pulling it up :smile:

:smile:
Original post by NooNoo1

Do you think my German teacher knows what grades i got for each unit and my overall grade plus the ums and the neccessary stuff? or would she just know my overall grade?
Reply 25
Do you think my German teacher knows what grades i got for each unit and my overall grade plus the ums and the neccessary stuff? or would she just know my overall grade?

i think she gets the individual grades. Maybe try and contact her? :smile:
If you got a B overall I don't see the matter with your course work being a D.
I got a D as my final Spanish grade and I'm pretty chuffed with that so would be over the moon with a B! :biggrin:
Original post by NooNoo1
i think she gets the individual grades. Maybe try and contact her? :smile:

If she gets the individual grades and looks at the grade boundaries dont you think she must know that maybe i was close to the next grade? I mean 2 C's and 2 B's...how is that a C? to me it must be at least a low B?

Thanks for your reply:smile:
Pull yourself together.
Reply 29
Original post by The Racist Dragon
Pull yourself together.

Fantastic. Great advice!*sarcasm*
Reply 30
If she gets the individual grades and looks at the grade boundaries dont you think she must know that maybe i was close to the next grade? I mean 2 C's and 2 B's...how is that a C? to me it must be at least a low B?

Thanks for your reply:smile:

no problem. I think it might be because in the exam you may have got a low C and a low B which may pull it down to a C :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Lottie97
If you got a B overall I don't see the matter with your course work being a D.
I got a D as my final Spanish grade and I'm pretty chuffed with that so would be over the moon with a B! :biggrin:

My parents put in lots of private tuition money which is why i am kinda upset.
Original post by NooNoo1
no problem. I think it might be because in the exam you may have got a low C and a low B which may pull it down to a C :smile:

Yeah that does make sense. Anyway a C is average and it is in German which was not my favourite GCSE subject so i cant really complain as i passed.:smile:

Did you do German GCSE?
Reply 33
Yeah that does make sense. Anyway a C is average and it is in German which was not my favourite GCSE subject so i cant really complain as i passed.:smile:

Did you do German GCSE?

no i didnt. i was gonna chose it instead of geography but i did not want to do three languages. i studied it for a year in yr 8 tho :/
Original post by NooNoo1
no i didnt. i was gonna chose it instead of geography but i did not want to do three languages. i studied it for a year in yr 8 tho :/

cool. I still cant believe i got a B(maybe a low B) on the listening paper:smile:
Yeah don't think you'll be able to remark it :no:
Original post by NooNoo1

Cool. The only reason why i picked German is because i studied it from yr 7-9 and so did my sister so when i picked my GCSE options i though why not go for German.:smile:

It is really important that you do what suits you as eventhough i had a sister who did German for GCSE and studied it for 3 years before picking my GCSE options i do kind of regret of picking it because maybe if i picked what i truly liked i would have gotten a better grade in that subject but anyway its German so i am happy with my grade eventhough i know i could have done a lot better.:smile:
Reply 37
Cool. The only reason why i picked German is because i studied it from yr 7-9 and so did my sister so when i picked my GCSE options i though why not go for German.:smile:

It is really important that you do what suits you as eventhough i had a sister who did German for GCSE and studied it for 3 years before picking my GCSE options i do kind of regret of picking it because maybe if i picked what i truly liked i would have gotten a better grade in that subject but anyway its German so i am happy with my grade eventhough i know i could have done a lot better.:smile:

yea i think you do better if you actually enjoy the subject. For instance i hated spanish, should have chosen RS or something but oh well moving forward now. Have you decided on your a level choices? :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Black Rose
Yeah don't think you'll be able to remark it :no:

oh ok. Thankyou :smile:
Hi Guys,

I also have a similar problem to German123. I was born in Austria, but moved here (LONDON)when I was 8/9 in 2008 and I haave been encouraged in my household to stop speaking German and start speaking English. Although I don't speak it as much/hardly, I can still understand it, read it and write it - but I tend to struggle a bit. I have been doing Spanish since yr 7 and not German, but I decided to take German in yr 10 (like all my older sisters) to try and achieve an A/A*, But I got my grades and I was very disappointed. I got a B (228/300) I was 12 UMS off an A and I am very sad indeed. I focused more on my science GCSE and it - I achieved an A* in both and on the day of the German exam it was also the Physics exam - so I concentrated on that more, as advised by my parents. But I am not happy with that B at all and I don't know whetehr to retake Unit 1 and 2 (AQA) or leave it... Please help.;']

Thank you.

PS. I had no German teachers to help (I was determined to get the grades myself using revision books and websites - little help from my sisters and parents too)

Germanshepherd_

Quick Reply

Latest