The Student Room Group

How did this happen?

i got my spanish gcse result back yesterday and got a B overall. However i looked at my coursework grade and it was a A/B and they have moved it down to a d! in my writing i got an a and my reading i got a b and listening A*. I don't understand why my coursework has gone down so much. Is it worth getting it remarked? I really wanted a A in spanish as i worked really hard for it :frown: any help would be great :smile:

Scroll to see replies

You can't get individual coursework remarked; your whole class would have to get it remarked.
Reply 2
Original post by Pectorac
You can't get individual coursework remarked; your whole class would have to get it remarked.

they told me i was A borderline B after they had provisionally marked it and then my paper said a D! :frown:
Reply 3

is it really not possible to get it remarked?
Original post by NooNoo1
they told me i was A borderline B after they had provisionally marked it and then my paper said a D! :frown:

You need to ask your teacher how everyone did overall, and if the school would pay to get everyone's remarked if everyone is in agreement. It's an exam board policy that you can't ask for individual coursework remarks.
Reply 5
You need to ask your teacher how everyone did overall, and if the school would pay to get everyone's remarked if everyone is in agreement.

My teacher is moving schools this year and school is closed
Original post by NooNoo1
i got my spanish gcse result back yesterday and got a B overall. However i looked at my coursework grade and it was a A/B and they have moved it down to a d! in my writing i got an a and my reading i got a b and listening A*. I don't understand why my coursework has gone down so much. Is it worth getting it remarked? I really wanted a A in spanish as i worked really hard for it :frown: any help would be great :smile:

Nothing you can do you cannot remark coursework,

the way it's marked is like a sample of 6 is taken from the school externally marked and the average difference between internal and external marks is +- to each piece of coursework...

you could resit the coursework but due to the 40% rule you would need to sit an exam as well as the coursework next summer. sorry, it's hard i was in this same situation in Y10 :frown:

also note if you did like 2 exams in Y10 and 2 in 11 then youd have to resit the ones from y10 because the units cannot be 2 years apart i believe?
Reply 7
Original post by techno836
Nothing you can do you cannot remark coursework,

the way it's marked is like a sample of 6 is taken from the school externally marked and the average difference between internal and external marks is +- to each piece of coursework...

you could resit the coursework but due to the 40% rule you would need to sit an exam as well as the coursework next summer. sorry, it's hard i was in this same situation in Y10 :frown:

also note if you did like 2 exams in Y10 and 2 in 11 then youd have to resit the ones from y10 because the units cannot be 2 years apart i believe?

s**t. I really want that A in spanish. Is there anything else i can do?
Original post by NooNoo1
s**t. I really want that A in spanish. Is there anything else i can do?

only if you submitted all 4 units in the same year then you could re-do coursework and sit an exam (do the A* one as i'm sure the highest will stand) if not then i don't think so i'm afraid :-( sorry
Reply 9
Original post by NooNoo1
My teacher is moving schools this year and school is closed

The deadline for applying for re-moderation is 19 September - contact the school at the start of term to see if they are planning to apply.
You need to ask your teacher how everyone did overall, and if the school would pay to get everyone's remarked if everyone is in agreement.

The school does not need to get everyone's agreement as overall grades will not go down on re-moderation.
Reply 11
Original post by Compost
The school does not need to get everyone's agreement as overall grades will not go down on re-moderation.

Really?! i thought everyones had to be re moderated. do i only need the permission of the teacher?
Reply 12
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Exactly the same happened with me but with French!:mad:

I took french as well. What grade did you get? :smile:

The sample is more than 6 - for AQA it is all of them or at least 20. Also the mark change can be weighted - more taken off the top or the bottom, e.g. the top marks may not be changed but by the bottom few they are losing 5 each.

you could resit the coursework but due to the 40% rule you would need to sit an exam as well as the coursework next summer. sorry, it's hard i was in this same situation in Y10

The 40% rule is dead. GCSEs are now linear and you have to sit all the exams in the same exam series to get a grade (though you can carry forward controlled assessment from a previous completed GCSE).

They now all have to be in the same exam series.
Reply 14
I got an overall B, mark 237 (3 off an A): Unit 1 - c, unit 2 - a, unit 3 - a*, unit 4 - b.
I was told that I got A* for unit 4.

so only unit one let you down :frown: overall i got an A but in unit 1 i just scraped a B. :smile: Surely if unit 4 was an A* you can get your grade moved up to an A?
Original post by NooNoo1
Really?! i thought everyones had to be re moderated. do i only need the permission of the teacher?

Everything has be re-moderated but as the overall grades will not go down the school doesn't need to get the permission of all the students. However,the school does have to be prepared to sort out the admin of re-moderation and pay £200 or so for it.
In German I got a B on the listening paper, a C on the reading, a B on the writing and a C on the speaking. How does that make my grade a C overall?
Reply 17
Original post by Compost
Everything has be re-moderated but as the overall grades will not go down the school doesn't need to get the permission of all the students. However,the school does have to be prepared to sort out the admin of re-moderation and pay £200 or so for it.

so not really a chance then.I will probably go and speak to the exam office about it. Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by German123
In German I got a B on the listening paper, a C on the reading, a B on the writing and a C on the speaking. How does that make my grade a C overall?

maybe you were close to the borderline? it may change :smile:
Reply 19
I agree, but apparently, I cannot get the unit 4 remarked!!?
It's such a shame that even after French being my favourite subject, I got so low and A*'s in most of the others.
What are you planning to do with yours?

i dont know. I will speak to the exams office i think :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest