The Student Room Group

Laptop or Desktop?

Hey guys,

I recently got accepted to my uni of choice, and in preparation, I
was thinking about my multimedia options for uni.

I have a maxed out, badass, desktop at home, which I absolutely
love, since I've built it and upgraded it for so long.
But alas, I'm not sure if I should take it to university...

The plus side:
- It's fricking badass
- Very quick
- Can watch movies, play games on a big screen, effortlessly
- Is very reliable
- Less chance of theft
-It's fricking badass

But the major downside is that I will have to leave it in my room for the whole
day and can only access it when I return in the evening.

A laptop in this instance would be better, but I'm not sure what to get,
and how to make sure it works for me. I've literally spent the last five years
sh*tting on my friends that own laptops, proclaiming my desktop to be the
Odin of the pack, so you might understand why I am hesitant about doubling
back on myself.

I just want some honest opinions from Uni students on:
1. what system you have?
2. Why you think you're system works for you?

Scroll to see replies

I have both an desktop and laptop, and I'm gonna be taking my laptop! Mainly because I can take it with me to lectures, group sessions and if I wanna do work in the cafe or elsewhere its portable :smile:
I got both. Never once used my laptop in a lecture, hardly anyone does.
Original post by VigneshSB
Hey guys,

I recently got accepted to my uni of choice, and in preparation, I
was thinking about my multimedia options for uni.

I have a maxed out, badass, desktop at home, which I absolutely
love, since I've built it and upgraded it for so long.
But alas, I'm not sure if I should take it to university...

The plus side:
- It's fricking badass
- Very quick
- Can watch movies, play games on a big screen, effortlessly
- Is very reliable
- Less chance of theft
-It's fricking badass

But the major downside is that I will have to leave it in my room for the whole
day and can only access it when I return in the evening.

A laptop in this instance would be better, but I'm not sure what to get,
and how to make sure it works for me. I've literally spent the last five years
sh*tting on my friends that own laptops, proclaiming my desktop to be the
Odin of the pack, so you might understand why I am hesitant about doubling
back on myself.

I just want some honest opinions from Uni students on:
1. what system you have?
2. Why you think you're system works for you?

Why not buy yourself a cheap laptop and take both?

If you have a gaming PC in your room then you're not going to need a laptop that's powerful enough for games, so buy something that's cheap but good enough for University work and it won't cost you much at all and gives you more flexibility.

I'm in the same position as you, I have a pretty damn good PC that is the only system I use when I'm at home, but when I started University I set aside £350 for a laptop, as well as taking my PC to University. The laptop means that I can easily do any University work that requires a computer without being stuck in my room or having to find an empty computer somewhere around the University, means I can use it to take lecture notes if I need to, makes doing presentations in tutorials easier, and is generally a very useful thing to have at University.
Desktop. I never took notes anyway lol. Though I did purchase a netbook for that purpose (I figured I couldn't really be bothered after the purchase :P).
Desktop is far far more functional to do work on... be faithful to your beauty.

EDIT: Though, a cheap netbook would be beneficial as they don't weigh much and are reasonably powerful for basic stuff. My girlfriend through dragging her laptop around, amongst other things in her bag, developed a minor muscular back problem (lappy's can be rather heavy addition to lug around imo).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Laptops are good to work on at uni as you can go to the library or meet with friends if you have group work. I'd take the desktop with you if you want to use it for games etc and you won't be travelling home much and just be careful when taking it to and from uni. If may be worth buying a cheap laptop which is just powerful enough to do your work on and browse internet :smile:
Laptop for the first term/month or so to see how it goes and then if the desktop would be useful, bring that.

I'm a PC gamer and I found that for most games you just need a laptop with a decent graphics card, I think mine cost about £550 and as long as I don't try playing the most taxing games it gets on pretty well.
Reply 7
Like yourself I've built my PC and I would say take your desktop personally, if its something you use to play games on you'll probably want to keep it around (cause laptops do really suck for gaming). For lectures get a cheap laptop or even tablet, should do just fine.

Laptops are not good for gaming imo and I speak from experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Asus transformer t100 is it any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends what you're studying in part.

If you're only looking at taking notes, social media and emails, and maybe a bit of writing here and there then you could always pickup a netbook or a tablet. Tablets come with the advantage of being able to write out equations on when note-taking, whereas netbooks are easier to type on. If you want all of that, consider a tablet that comes with a keyboard.

If you're wanting to be able to do technical or design or programming work away from your room and don't want to have to sit in a computer room/lab, then a laptop is a good call. It just needs to be powerful enough for the software you plan on running.

Personally I have a desktop which isn't too high-spec but better to work on thanks to the screens; and I borrow a laptop from the university which I carry around for programming and computer science work. I tend not to take many lecture notes but either a tablet or pen+paper works for me.
I would get MacBook that way you have a very powerful system that can do everything (except make me a cuppa tea) and it's portable as well perfect for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hey guys thanks for the replies! I think I'll heed what most of you guys seem to be saying and get a cheap laptop/tablet for lectures and take the desktop as well!

Also:
Original post by iloveteddy14
I would get MacBook that way you have a very powerful system that can do everything (except make me a cuppa tea) and it's portable as well perfect for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was considering that as well! Some of my best buds have macbooks and keep encouraging me to get one! And I kinda like them, but they are sooooo expensive spec for spec
compared to a windows laptop!
Original post by VigneshSB
Hey guys thanks for the replies! I think I'll heed what most of you guys seem to be saying and get a cheap laptop/tablet for lectures and take the desktop as well!

Also:

I was considering that as well! Some of my best buds have macbooks and keep encouraging me to get one! And I kinda like them, but they are sooooo expensive spec for spec
compared to a windows laptop!

Apple all the way!! :smile: hahah
You would pay for something that would not break down for years, very reliable and you wouldn't have to fork out a fortune in anti virus software or put up with freezes/crashes like you get on windows. But obviously if you are after something that just has few assignments on it and sends emails then get a netbook.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm taking my custom PC and also buying a decent laptop. Why? Because I love my PC and it's brilliant at everything. Why am I taking a laptop too? For portability, and the fact that if either computer decides to commit suicide whilst I'm at uni (which is unlikely), I always have a backup. Plus the laptop can run DJ software and my PC can't because its processor isn't supported, but that's not really an important reason.

Whilst I'd love a Macbook, I'm not paying their insane prices. Yeah they may be fast and less prone to viruses, but you can easily find a decent Windows laptop for much less money, which is equally powerful or more powerful than a Macbook. And if you're careful online then viruses aren't a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know! And you can get them for as little as like £800! Bargain!!
You would pay for something that would not break down for years, very reliable and you wouldn't have to fork out a fortune in anti virus software or put up with freezes/crashes like you get on windows. But obviously if you are after something that just has few assignments on it and sends emails then get a netbook.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. I just don't think I can afford the £0 a month a lot of these anti-virus programs are charging.
I'll chime in here to say that I'm taking my desktop to uni in addition to a Chromebook, which hasn't been mentioned yet.

If anyone is looking for a cheap laptop for note taking, 9 hour battery life, light etc. then I totally think a chromebook is worth it, considering one is only £180 new.

If you use things like Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive then you're basically already set.
Original post by Marshton
I'll chime in here to say that I'm taking my desktop to uni in addition to a Chromebook, which hasn't been mentioned yet.

If anyone is looking for a cheap laptop for note taking, 9 hour battery life, light etc. then I totally think a chromebook is worth it, considering one is only £180 new.

If you use things like Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive then you're basically already set.

I've always been of the opinion that Chromebooks are computers for people who don't understand computers. (No offence intended)

I'm curious, why would you buy a laptop that basically does nothing other than browse the internet? Can't install programs, has a weak processor etc.
Why buy one? You could do more with an iPad with MS Word installed.
Original post by Typhoon235
I've always been of the opinion that Chromebooks are computers for people who don't understand computers. (No offence intended)

I'm curious, why would you buy a laptop that basically does nothing other than browse the internet? Can't install programs, has a weak processor etc.
Why buy one? You could do more with an iPad with MS Word installed.

Because I do everything on the internet anyway. I use Google Drive as a free alternative to Microsoft Office - the syncing to all of my devices is very cool. Most of my time on a computer is browsing the net.

For things which involve heavy lifting or concentrated work - programming etc. I'm not likely to do this on a laptop anyway. I have my i7 desktop for that.

That, and it only cost £180.. that makes a Chromebook basically an impulse buy compared to an iPad or similar.

I think you'd be wrong to describe Chromebooks as for people who don't understand computers - I believe their niche is not to replace a main computer, but rather to complement one. Which mine does, really well indeed - hence why I'm taking it to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending