The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Hampstead is in a much nicer location... but I think that KCH has the better amenities (KCH has a bar, common room, projector, sky TV room, pool, snooker, squash, table tennis...). It also takes less time to travel from KCH to the Strand or Guys campus. But KCH is catered, which can be a bad thing for some people, but good for others. Other than that, they're both incredibly social halls.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Which is the closest residence to Strand?
Reply 3
mmm when do we start applying? for halls and the college?
Reply 4
After you get an offer and you accept it as your firm they send you the accommodation pack. Best to apply early or at least by the 1st deadline
Reply 5
After you get an offer and you accept it as your firm they send you the accommodation pack. Best to apply early or at least by the 1st deadline
Reply 6
what do you mean by firm? when is it? dont i have to wait for the other unis i applied to?
sorry about this
iCeCream
what do you mean by firm? when is it? dont i have to wait for the other unis i applied to?
sorry about this

When all your uni's have got back to you, you will choose a firm and an insurance place. If you choose kings as either, they will then send you an accommodation pack.
Reply 8
You don't necessarily have to wait for all your universities to answer - you can contact UCAS and tell them that you have chosen the universities you want to go to.
Reply 9
WokSz
Which is the closest residence to Strand?

Stamford Street, it's just a 10/15 minute walk away.
Reply 10
and which is the best residence to stay in for someone coming outside of England?
Reply 11
All of them are good really they all have international students. You alos have intercollegiate halls where you'd get to meet students from other London unis and most of them are quite good for transport the ones that are slightly far away are Hampstead and King's College Halls you'll meet great people in all halls really.
Reply 12
KCH is the most fun! :p: it only takes about half an hr on the bus and it's quicker on the train, just more expensive :redface:
Everyone I know at KCH loves it...Hampstead however has more of a mixed bag of responses...some like it because it's in a nice area and it's sociable, but I know others who find it a real pain because it's so far out. I'm at Great Dover Street, which is really good if you are at Guys (5 min walk) and is okayish if you are at the Strand (30-40 min walk, but there are tubes and buses you can get). The only problem with GDS is that you have to make more of an effort to be sociable I think, because you don't have that halls environment due to the fact that it's structured in apartments.
Reply 14
Agree with post above (sorry am lazy today can't type your whole nickname) I'm at GDS and it's great very smiliar to Stamford street apparently but we have a computer room and common room. You do have to make an effort to be sociable though because already by the first week you see groups forming usually by nationality etc.. Though if you get along with your flatmates it's great!
I have a friend who's at KCH and she doesn't like it but just because she wanted couple accommodation to live with her boyfriend and didn't get it so that's another situation really. My other friends at KCH love it! I have heard that Hampstead has bigger rooms and it kind of compensates for the lack of en-suite. There are loads of shared rooms there apparently. If you want to meet people from other unis I recommend intercollegiate halls.

Yeah talk about me being lazy I have just written a novel!:rolleyes:
Reply 15
Hampstead is far out, but it is on the jubilee line and still in zone two, just means you'll be travelling for about an hour to get to uni every day. I prefer hampstead because it is in a nice part of london with good trabsport links, the buildings are nice and the rooms are quite large. also the communal facilities are great. My firend has two kitchens, and two bathrooms in hers, which is pleanty for the 5 people down her corridor.

King's halls are in camberwell, which isn't the nicest of places, there is no tube out there only buses and the train. The buses get really packed out and it can be stressful. it will take about half an hour from ther to get to waterloo. I have never been in the halls there, but i havent really heard nice comments about them, other than having food made for you is nice, but to be honest i would find that a disadvantage.
If you haven't been there and lived there, don't bother commenting to be honest. :wink:

Edit: That was a bit harsh in retrospect, sorry. What I meant to say that a feeling for the vibe of living in a particular hall of residence can really only be got from living there, or at least spending some time there (by visiting friends and the like). :smile:
Reply 17
KCH is soo much fun! hampstead is meant to be nicer looking but living in Kch i think has more advantages. However it is catered, which may be good or bad, but unlike hampstead has lots more to do, also has wireless which i dont think hampstead does, and is far closer to the main places you'd want to go too.
Glad to see that so many people are having a good time at KCH after the a lot of initial doom and gloom posts from people allocated the hall. If you search, there are probably quite a few posts from me advocating the social nature of KCH. :smile:
KCH!!!! I stayed there in my first year, it's wicked, and not far from uni...there's a direct train to Guys, and buses to Guys, Strand and Waterloo! I don't really like Hampstead....might be a bit biased tho :rolleyes:

Latest