The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

When can I go home during term time

Hey, just wondering when I would be able to go home during term time, this is only because I want to sit my driving test soon and I can't book one before term begins so would need to return home for a weekend or something, sit the test and then return to uni. Can I just leave whenever I want? Or are there certain restrictions? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Angfil
Hey, just wondering when I would be able to go home during term time, this is only because I want to sit my driving test soon and I can't book one before term begins so would need to return home for a weekend or something, sit the test and then return to uni. Can I just leave whenever I want? Or are there certain restrictions? Thanks

Nope, whenever.
One homesick girl went home every weekend (don't do that lol.)
If in halls, they will want you to fill a form saying you are out is all for H&S reasons. (Though many don't...)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Angfil
Hey, just wondering when I would be able to go home during term time

As long as you don't miss academic commitments (e.g. lectures, seminars, tutorials) I doubt anyone will care. So, it's almost certainly not going to be a problem to go home at the weekend.

As Inazuma says, if you're in University accommodation there might be some kind of notification that you're away overnight, but that's more so they know not to go looking for you if your hall is on fire rather than for any other reason.
Reply 3
Original post by Angfil

You can leave whenever you want, it's not prison.

There may be certain personal restrictions due to work and deadlines which are dependent on your course, however. Like, if you have a deadline that appears on a Monday you'll have to try and to it early so you can go home for the weekend.

People generally go home at weekends to avoid missing lectures and seminars etc, but people do go home in the week if they need to, or miss Fridays/Mondays to have a long weekend at home. You get all the lectures slides online so it's easy to catch up.

It'd be better to book your driving test once you know your timetable, though, as most people will have at least a one or two things a week (e.g. workshops or seminars) that are actually compulsory and registers are taken. Everyone misses lectures when they're tired or sick or hungover, but people rarely miss compulsory sessions. If they do, it's effort to fill out the illness form. If people do want to miss them and go home, they just make up that they had a cold or something.

In a nutshell, you can leave whenever you want and it's up to you how to manage your deadlines and workload and classes around the time you wish to go home.
Reply 4
Original post by Inazuma
Nope, whenever.
One homesick girl went home every weekend (don't do that lol.)
If in halls, they will want you to fill a form saying you are out is all for H&S reasons. (Though many don't...)

I don't think anybody at my hall did…they just left.

We were also meant to request visitors and had restrictions on our visitors (only can stay 2 nights, no more than one at a time, no more than 2 in a term etc) - but nobody ever followed them. People had 2 or 3 friends stay for a week at a time and nobody ever knew haha.
Reply 5
Original post by lou_100
I don't think anybody at my hall did…they just left.

We were also meant to request visitors and had restrictions on our visitors (only can stay 2 nights, no more than one at a time, no more than 2 in a term etc) - but nobody ever followed them. People had 2 or 3 friends stay for a week at a time and nobody ever knew haha.

Haha yes, the forms were largely ignored, especially as term drew on. I think I filled in a guest form once... *goodytwoshoes* :tongue:
Reply 6
Check if you have a reading week. That'll be a good time to leave for home too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending