The Student Room Group

How many people with 4 A's as A.S get rejected?

Is it a minority? If you get 4 A's, what are the chances of a conditional offer based on statistics to get into Oxford?
I don't know the exact statistics, but it's probably not a minority.

GCSEs are much more important than AS, as are admissions tests and interviews! Personal statements are also more important in some subjects :smile:
Original post by sam19972014
Is it a minority? If you get 4 A's, what are the chances of a conditional offer based on statistics to get into Oxford?

You'll defo get an offer if gcses and personal statement are good.
Original post by Miladrises
You'll defo get an offer if gcses and personal statement are good.

Incorrect.
There's so much more to a university application than AS levels...
Original post by Lucilou101

GCSEs are much more important than AS, as are admissions tests and interviews! Personal statements are also more important in some subjects :smile:

Incorrect.
Original post by h3isenberg
Incorrect.

Not for Oxford.
Not for Oxford.

You still need very good A levels for Oxford, AAA at least for all courses. The better your GCSEs the stronger you are as a candidate but without the A level grades there is no chance.
(edited 9 years ago)
I would say probably quite a lot - most applicants will have AAAA at AS level, but only 20-30% (depending on course) of applicants get offers. Remember that they will also look at your A2 predicted grades, GCSE grades, personal statement, teacher reference, admissions test results, submitted work and interview in order to decide whether to make you an offer.
AAAA would probably be good enough to get offers from most other top universities though - assuming your predicted grades meet their requirements and your personal statement/ reference are good. If you are trying to decide whether it's worth applying to Oxford, with AAAA you would be likely to get offers from most of your other universities (unless you're applying for something like medicine) so it would be a fairly safe risk to take.
Original post by h3isenberg
You still need very good A levels for Oxford, AAA at least for all courses. The better your GCSEs the stronger you are as a candidate but without the A level grades there is no chance.

Not necessarily, lots of people get in with ABB or sometimes lower. Obviously if you have CCC you don't stand much of a chance unless you have very extenuating circumstances.

All Oxford need to be is convinced that you can achieve AAA - A*A*A depending on the course. Once you've met that criteria, AS grades aren't really a factor.
lots, obviously
Not necessarily, lots of people get in with ABB or sometimes lower. Obviously if you have CCC you don't stand much of a chance unless you have very extenuating circumstances.

All Oxford need to be is convinced that you can achieve AAA - A*A*A depending on the course. Once you've met that criteria, AS grades aren't really a factor.

'Lots' is perhaps an exaggeration...In 2013, just 57 students out of 2488 got into Oxford with less than AAA, and that includes those who achieved A*A*B at A2.

Best 3 A-level grades achieved Applicants Offers Success Rate %
A*A*A* or above 2106 940 44.6
A*A*A 2281 691 30.3
A*AA 2796 611 21.9
AAA 1635 277 16.9
Below AAA (incl A*A*B etc) 2677 172 6.4

Since there's a fairly strong correlation between AS results and A2 results for any given individual, the chances are that those with higher AS grades are more likely to get offers too (whether or not the higher AS grades are causal). I imagine that AS grades are still fairly important in admissions decisions, both directly, and indirectly through predicted grades too, even though they are not the only factor.
Original post by R.P.Everything.
'Lots' is perhaps an exaggeration...In 2013, just 57 students out of 2488 got into Oxford with less than AAA, and that includes those who achieved A*A*B at A2.

Best 3 A-level grades achieved Applicants Offers Success Rate %
A*A*A* or above 2106940 44.6
A*A*A 2281691 30.3
A*AA 2796611 21.9
AAA 1635277 16.9
Below AAA (incl A*A*B etc) 2677172 6.4

Since there's a fairly strong correlation between AS results and A2 results for any given individual, the chances are that those with higher AS grades are more likely to get offers too (whether or not the higher AS grades are causal). I imagine that AS grades are still fairly important in admissions decisions, both directly, and indirectly through predicted grades too, even though they are not the only factor.

I meant lots with it at AS not at A2 - of course having higher AS means A2s are often easier. However AS grades in themselves are not the most important factor in admissions :smile:
Last year I achieved AABC, whilst my mate got 4 straight A's. I got an interview he didn't.

On their own AS grades count for nil, if you're good enough to get an interview what really matters then is how well you did on the test and in interview. We both applied for Maths, so he obviously didn't do well on the MAT. Unfortunately I didn't do so well at interview though, and didn't get an offer. As long as you've got the right predicted grades, what matters then mostly is how you do on your test and interview, so I would prepare accordingly to ace those more than anything else.

Another thing, your personal statement really doesn't count for shiz, at least for Maths it certainly doesn't.
How many A*s at GCSE on average would be needed for, say, the physics course?
Reply 16
Original post by tanyapotter
How many A*s at GCSE on average would be needed for, say, the physics course?

They say they like 6, but I got in with 5. For physics though, gcse's and AS's don't count for nearly as much as PAT and interview scores.
Reply 17
You can't guarantee an offer based on AS levels. That level will get you an interview if any admissions tests were good, I would think, but there is no guarantee. It is important to remember that Oxford only gives out as many offers as it has spaces, plus a couple of open offers, as few people turn it down, whereas most unis make significantly more and hope acceptances matches spaces.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending