The Student Room Group

A-Levels dilemma? Applying for university??

Ok I'll tell you the grades I got and I'll explain the situation

Alevels

Maths A*
Further Maths A*
Spanish A*
Geography A*

GCSEs

ABBCCDDE (A*A*ABCCDE) after Maths and English retake this year

I just did my Alevels this year after an immense turnaround after my dreadful GCSEs in 2012, which I didn't take serious due to big distractions, I received 4 A*s at A2.

My sixth form wasn't willing to take me on as I failed english GCSEs and generally my results was lacking.

I intend to take a gap year due to my family problems, and I'm applying next year for MATHEMATICS BSC.

What Universities can take me on despite GCSEs?
Original post by Strand A Brand
Ok I'll tell you the grades I got and I'll explain the situation

Alevels

Maths A*
Further Maths A*
Spanish A*
Geography A*

GCSEs

ABBCCDDE (A*A*ABCCDE) after Maths and English retake this year

I just did my Alevels this year after an immense turnaround after my dreadful GCSEs in 2012, which I didn't take serious due to big distractions, I received 4 A*s at A2.

My sixth form wasn't willing to take me on as I failed english GCSEs and generally my results was lacking.

I intend to take a gap year due to my family problems, and I'm applying next year for MATHEMATICS BSC.

What Universities can take me on despite GCSEs?

I would imagine that most universities would be very interested in you. The A Levels speak for themselves.
Original post by Chlorophile
I would imagine that most universities would be very interested in you. The A Levels speak for themselves.

Are you sure? With such GCSEs grades?

Unless you've passed their basic GCSE requirements, yes. Even if you didn't, with those A Level results, they may be willing to be lenient. You might want to avoid certain Unis that are notoriously picky about GCSEs like Oxford but apart from that, I would imagine that most would be very interested in you.
Original post by Chlorophile
Unless you've passed their basic GCSE requirements, yes. Even if you didn't, with those A Level results, they may be willing to be lenient. You might want to avoid certain Unis that are notoriously picky about GCSEs like Oxford but apart from that, I would imagine that most would be very interested in you.

I achieved a B and D in maths and english respectively. I then had to retake both this year and recieved A* and A*.

Would retaking GCSEs have an impact?

Most universities only require CC in maths and english.

thanks
Reply 5
GCSEs aren't that important unless you want to do medicine

Unless their entry requirements state you need a certain amount of A/ A* grades (which they shouldn't at most unversities) then you'll be absolutely fine. Your A levels are incredible and it should be obvious to them that you've turned over a new leaf academically. If you're worried, email the universities you're interested in and ask about their GCSE policies.
Original post by LeFailFish
Unless their entry requirements state you need a certain amount of A/ A* grades (which they shouldn't at most unversities) then you'll be absolutely fine. Your A levels are incredible and it should be obvious to them that you've turned over a new leaf academically. If you're worried, email the universities you're interested in and ask about their GCSE policies.

Is that even possible to talk to a university about entry requirements.

Would the University see my academical turnaround as a good thing?

can you name the universities that are out of my reach for mathematics?
Is that even possible to talk to a university about entry requirements.

Would the University see my academical turnaround as a good thing?

can you name the universities that are out of my reach for mathematics?

Of course! Every university has an email for questions about applications. If you visit the university website it should be easy to find. Which universities are you interested in?

Hopefully they will - it's difficult to say. Most universities are unlikely to be too fussed with GCSE's as long as Maths and English are above a C.

Are you taking the STEP test? The top universities for Mathematics require it (e.g. Warwick). If you get a decent result in it then most universities except Oxbridge should be happy to accept you.
Reply 9
I recall seeing something that says that Maths prospective students taking years out may get an eyebrow raised since you lose a lot of your math skills after long periods. Might wanna check that out

Other than that, Cambridge are probably the only university that requires STEP full stop. I think most other top + good unis which can offer places based on A levels purely

Quick Reply

Latest