The Student Room Group

Working at a phone shop

Short story, I just started at my new job at a phone shop (big network provider) - just wondering, is it normal to feel a little bit awkward with the whole sales front on the first few days/weeks and does it get better?

I'm expected to sell contracts, give people technical advice etc., but I've only been there 2 days and I don't feel like I know enough to deal with customers also I just feel a bit uncomfortable. I did managed to sell a phone on my second day but I'm worried these feelings won't pass/when they will? I've worked before, but not in such a sales/information heavy role.

Anyone got any experience in a similar situation? :smile:
Original post by mellie220
Short story, I just started at my new job at a phone shop (big network provider) - just wondering, is it normal to feel a little bit awkward with the whole sales front on the first few days/weeks and does it get better?

I'm expected to sell contracts, give people technical advice etc., but I've only been there 2 days and I don't feel like I know enough to deal with customers also I just feel a bit uncomfortable. I did managed to sell a phone on my second day but I'm worried these feelings won't pass/when they will? I've worked before, but not in such a sales/information heavy role.

Anyone got any experience in a similar situation? :smile:

Hey :smile: sorry I don't have any experience with that but I'm currently thinking of applying for a job with O2 and I was wondering how you've been enjoying it? Minus the discomfort you're feeling with customers etc. How do you get paid? I heard it was a basic rate and then commission on whatever you sell but that not be the same as the company you're with.

And I am sure that the discomfort will pass as you become more confident :smile: it'll just become second nature to think like a salesman! (or woman?)
Reply 2
Original post by PlathIsMyBabe
Hey :smile: sorry I don't have any experience with that but I'm currently thinking of applying for a job with O2 and I was wondering how you've been enjoying it? Minus the discomfort you're feeling with customers etc. How do you get paid? I heard it was a basic rate and then commission on whatever you sell but that not be the same as the company you're with.

And I am sure that the discomfort will pass as you become more confident :smile: it'll just become second nature to think like a salesman! (or woman?)

Hey, it's been alright - I think my only issue is the fact I feel a bit useless at the moment as I can't answer most of the questions customers are asking me!

I get paid a basic rate of £6.90, then commission varies from what kind of product you sell (e.g. £5 for every mobile phone, £2 for sim only contracts etc.) - however, I don't have a selling account yet (won't do until 3rd week) so I don't think I can earn commission until I get one!

Thanks, I do hope it gets a bit better - my third day was a little less awkward, but still felt a bit like a spare part!
Hey, it's been alright - I think my only issue is the fact I feel a bit useless at the moment as I can't answer most of the questions customers are asking me!

I get paid a basic rate of £6.90, then commission varies from what kind of product you sell (e.g. £5 for every mobile phone, £2 for sim only contracts etc.) - however, I don't have a selling account yet (won't do until 3rd week) so I don't think I can earn commission until I get one!

Thanks, I do hope it gets a bit better - my third day was a little less awkward, but still felt a bit like a spare part!

Once you become more familiar with the place and the products and services the store opens I'm certain you'll feel more confident :smile:

That's a pretty good basic rate! And if you can sell a phone every day then that's pretty good commission too.

Have you talked to other employees who work them to ask if they felt the same? I'm sure you're not alone! Being in a foreign environment having to try to make customers happy isn't a very easy task. Needless to say after some more practice you'll be perfect :biggrin: good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by PlathIsMyBabe
Once you become more familiar with the place and the products and services the store opens I'm certain you'll feel more confident :smile:

That's a pretty good basic rate! And if you can sell a phone every day then that's pretty good commission too.

Have you talked to other employees who work them to ask if they felt the same? I'm sure you're not alone! Being in a foreign environment having to try to make customers happy isn't a very easy task. Needless to say after some more practice you'll be perfect :biggrin: good luck!

Hopefully! Unfortunately the employees there are pretty tight knit already so I feel a bit awkward asking! But thanks, I'm sure it'll get better after a while :smile: Good luck if you end up applying to O2 btw!
Hey
Well I work in retail, but not in a phone shop. You'll get used to things eventually, I didn't have a clue when I first started working in retail, and now I've been there for nearly 2 years :biggrin: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ohhello92x
Hey
Well I work in retail, but not in a phone shop. You'll get used to things eventually, I didn't have a clue when I first started working in retail, and now I've been there for nearly 2 years :biggrin: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: I hope I do! Suppose it's only my first week!
Thanks :smile: I hope I do! Suppose it's only my first week!

Your welcome :smile:
Yeah
You'll pick things up soon enough :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending