The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough for Oxbridge?

First off I want to begin by saying that I know GCSEs are not that important to get into uni and that AS and A2 results are much more important. But will these GCSEs hold me back in any way? And what A-level results should I be aiming for? I'm doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Spanish. I'd like to get into some physics-related course.

A* - Physics
A* - Maths
A* - English language
A* - Spanish language
A* - History
A - Spanish literature
A - German
B - Art

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
i got
A* - Citizenship
A - Geography
B - Additional Science
B - English Language
B- English Literature
C - Textiles Technology
C- Maths
C - French
C - Core Science
obviously they're not the best but im so happy but would i get in? id be wanting to do geography.
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Congrats on your results!:smile:
Did you get your results individually for science like bio, chem and phys or all in one with core, additional and further additional?
Thanks! -
I only did Physics as a science.
Original post by Heisenberg97
Thanks! -
I only did Physics as a science.

GCSEs really are not important, if you get A*A*A* at a-level then sure, you may get into Oxbridge, If you get AAA then you won't get in, unfortunately.
Original post by JRFishers
GCSEs really are not important, if you get A*A*A* at a-level then sure, you may get into Oxbridge, If you get AAA then you won't get in, unfortunately.

How can you say they wont get in with AAA? People have and do. It depends on the offer anyway so you're misleading to say this.
Original post by JayJay-C19
How can you say they wont get in with AAA? People have and do. It depends on the offer anyway so you're misleading to say this.

Well, I know of people who got A*A*A at a-level and didn't even get an offer.. so I would say it is highly unlikely you would get in with AAA
Well, I know of people who got A*A*A at a-level and didn't even get an offer.. so I would say it is highly unlikely you would get in with AAA

But you cant say that? Those people obviously gave Admissions officers a reason to doubt their capabilities in other criterion. Over 10,000 people apply. Some with ALL A*s who don't get in over people with only 3 who do. So you're wrong. Plus, it depends on the offer. Getting A*A*A and not getting an offer is irrelevant because they would have an offer or not before A*A*A so those grades are irrelevant because they weren't achieved when the offer was made.
But you cant say that? Those people obviously gave Admissions officers a reason to doubt their capabilities in other criterion. Over 10,000 people apply. Some with ALL A*s who don't get in over people with only 3 who do. So you're wrong. Plus, it depends on the offer. Getting A*A*A and not getting an offer is irrelevant because they would have an offer or not before A*A*A so those grades are irrelevant because they weren't achieved when the offer was made.

Trust me, you won't get into Oxbridge with AAA, you won't even get considered for an interview let alone an offer..
Trust me, you won't get into Oxbridge with AAA, you won't even get considered for an interview let alone an offer..

But you're talking rubbish because I know people who got AAA, AAB and above who got interviews and some who got in.

You obviously don't know what you're on about so I wont trust you, no.

Another thing that shows you clearly don't know what you're on about is the fact that you keep referring to three A2 grades as if the offer is dependent on them when its not. You get the offer before A2 exams are even sat let alone grades achieved.
But you're talking rubbish because I know people who got AAA, AAB and above who got interviews and some who got in.

You obviously don't know what you're on about so I wont trust you, no.

Another thing that shows you clearly don't know what you're on about is the fact that you keep referring to three A2 grades as if the offer is dependent on them when its not. You get the offer before A2 exams are even sat let alone grades achieved.

You know people who got AAB and got into Oxford or Cambridge? With AAB? okay.. considering AAB is really easy to obtain I am pretty sure everyone in the country will just be going to Oxbridge next year, also you just finished your GCSEs so its likely you don't know anyone at Oxbridge.
You know people who got AAB and got into Oxford or Cambridge? With AAB? okay.. considering AAB is really easy to obtain I am pretty sure everyone in the country will just be going to Oxbridge next year, also you just finished your GCSEs so its likely you don't know anyone at Oxbridge.

I have a cousin at Harvard, one at Cambridge, and friends who just applied and are going in this September. You were saying? Don't start doubting me when you don't know me purely because you know you are wrong.

Check these statistics from Cambridge that even tell you that you are wrong.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/admissionsstatistics2013.pdf

Edit: It's pretty funny, your logic is awful. Apparently my level of study determines my relationships and acquaintances? No. Fool.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have a cousin at Harvard, one at Cambridge, and friends who just applied and are going in this September. You were saying? Don't start doubting me when you don't know me purely because you know you are wrong.

Check these statistics from Cambridge that even tell you that you are wrong.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/admissionsstatistics2013.pdf

So they accepted 78 people who got less than A*AA, and you 3 people who got less than AAA, you do know majority of those people are probably geniuses in a specific subject, for example a genius in mathematics but not particularly strong enough for A* in there other subject, but they do extra tests, this happens a lot..

Also, dont BS with your Cambridge and Harvard stories, lel
So they accepted 78 people who got less than A*AA, and you 3 people who got less than AAA, you do know majority of those people are probably geniuses in a specific subject, for example a genius in mathematics but not particularly strong enough for A* in there other subject, but they do extra tests, this happens a lot..

Also, dont BS with your Cambridge and Harvard stories, lel

Why is it BS? Are you jealous? Bless.

Pretty funny that you are STILL arguing even with Cambridge stats proving you wrong about Cambridge Admissions. Stop. You lost.
Why is it BS? Are you jealous? Bless.

Pretty funny that you are STILL arguing even with Cambridge stats proving you wrong about Cambridge Admissions. Stop. You lost.

So, the data you linked, shows 3 people have been accepted who got AAB, yet you said you know people who got in with those grades? OK, doesn't smell like BS at all..

Goodluck getting into Oxbridge with AAA though XD
Original post by Heisenberg97
First off I want to begin by saying that I know GCSEs are not that important to get into uni and that AS and A2 results are much more important. But will these GCSEs hold me back in any way? And what A-level results should I be aiming for? I'm doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Spanish. I'd like to get into some physics-related course.

A* - Physics
A* - Maths
A* - English language
A* - Spanish language
A* - History
A - Spanish literature
A - German
B - Art

Thanks

Re evaluate your life
So, the data you linked, shows 3 people have been accepted who got AAB, yet you said you know people who got in with those grades? OK, doesn't smell like BS at all..

Goodluck getting into Oxbridge with AAA though XD

Can you read? I said I know people who applied with AAA, AAB and above and some got in.

Stop twisting my comments to meet your own ends. You were wrong, get over yourself.

Ha, you're bitter. AAA - over 70 got in on that in the UK. End of.
Can you read? I said I know people who applied with AAA, AAB and above and some got in.

Stop twisting my comments to meet your own ends. You were wrong, get over yourself.

Ha, you're bitter. AAA - over 80 got in on that in the UK. End of.

I'm bitter? considering I got into my first choice uni to study one of the hardest subjects and I got AAA, I don't see how I could be bitter..

About people getting in with AAA, it is either for an uncompetitive degree or like I said, people who do external tests.
I'm bitter? considering I got into my first choice uni to study one of the hardest subjects and I got AAA, I don't see how I could be bitter..

About people getting in with AAA, it is either for an uncompetitive degree or like I said, people who do external tests.

You're just giving any old argument to debate your failed point. No degree is UNCOMPETITIVE at Oxbridge are you serious. Oxbridge is competitive, period.
Reply 19
Original post by ennahaspatience
Re evaluate your life

No. He shouldn't.

Why would you say that?

Quick Reply

Latest