The Student Room Group

Can I still go to a top university?

I did terrible in my GCSE, which were 4A 2B 4C. My a levels that I chose were maths,physics,chemistry,electronics and economics. I aiming for a least an A in 4 of them as I have started studying early in the summer.

But my question is , do I have a chance to become a successful applicant to the likes of imperial or Durham etc.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

How is getting 4 As terrible? I dont mean to be rude but what is wrong with you :s-smilie:
If you do well in your AS, yes. Also, I've seen this type of post a lot recently. You guys did brilliantly in your GCSE's, now do well in your AS exams and you'll get into the top institutions you desire
(edited 9 years ago)
In answer to your question, yes you do have a chance. You'd even have a shot with Cambridge.
To answer your question...yes! Cambridge has no restriction on GCSE grades. If you do well (I mean well) in your AS levels then you can easily get a place. Most unis don't really care too much about your GCSE's as long as you pass them you are fine :smile:
If you are only talking about Oxbridge, probably not, but there are plenty of universities ranked in the top 20 that you could easily get into if you work hard at college and get A grades
Yes, easily. If you've got solid AS grades, particularly 4 As, and predictions then your GCSE results become far less relevant.
Original post by AbdulKoyes
If you do well in your AS, yes. Also, I've seen this type of post a lot recently. You guys did brilliantly in your GCSE's, now do well in your AS exams and you'll get into the top institutions you desire

This. People seem to think 4/5 As are bad :s-smilie: how :s-smilie:
Original post by JayJay-C19
This. People seem to think 4/5 As are bad :s-smilie: how :s-smilie:

It is quite clear that it's very rare for people with such GCSEs to receive offers from top Universities though. Of course such grades aren't an absolute barrier, but one would be much worse off than having strong GCSEs. I think in the context of applying to a top University (especially STEM) it is somewhat misleading to suggest that these grades are absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

just my two cents, not suggesting that you have absolutely no chance, but you'd need a hell of a set of AS-Levels.
Reply 9
Original post by JRFishers
If you are only talking about Oxbridge, probably not, but there are plenty of universities ranked in the top 20 that you could easily get into if you work hard at college and get A grades

I meant imperial college in ,particular for mech or Chem eng.?
Original post by gavss
I did terrible in my GCSE, which were 4A 2B 4C. My a levels that I chose were maths,physics,chemistry,electronics and economics. I aiming for a least an A in 4 of them as I have started studying early in the summer.

But my question is , do I have a chance to become a successful applicant to the likes of imperial or Durham etc.

Thanks

Even people with straight A/A* grades often get rejected from Durham/Imperial but it's still possible although, going by your GCSEs alone, perhaps unlikely.

I would advise you to look at some more realistic "top" universities - how about places like Edinburgh, Nottingham, Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, etc.? These are all top universities but just not as hard to get into as Durham or Imperial which are both demanding to get into for even the highest qualified applicants. Having said this, to have a chance of getting into any of these universities listed (or any Russell Group in general) then you'll need good AS grades and top A level predictions/grades.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by gavss
I meant imperial college in ,particular for mech or Chem eng.?

Imperial college is like, AAA entry requirements? around that I think, nothing super hard, just work hard at college and it is achievable.

If you're worried about them looking at your GCSEs not being full of A*s then don't worry, most universities really don't care about GCSEs and only really look at a-levels.
(edited 9 years ago)
Those are fantastic GCSES, Don't be so hard on yourself!
Honestly most unis look more at A Levels then they do at GCSES, as long as you pass them. If your A's and B's were in your core subjects like English and Maths then that might earn some brownie points.
Just put your head down, work hard and get those A Levels. :biggrin:
Good Luck! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by tomfailinghelp
It is quite clear that it's very rare for people with such GCSEs to receive offers from top Universities though. Of course such grades aren't an absolute barrier, but one would be much worse off than having strong GCSEs. I think in the context of applying to a top University (especially STEM) it is somewhat misleading to suggest that these grades are absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

just my two cents, not suggesting that you have absolutely no chance, but you'd need a hell of a set of AS-Levels.

Okay, so far, I've completed C1 and half if M1 and the first units in physics and chemistry, I plan on doing a module/papers per month until December where I have finished all the content. When you mean "a hell if a set of AS-Levels" do you mean A grades or 90 UMS- which I am confident I can achieve in maths and chemistry.

But they arent bad GCSEs? Forgetting top universities and what they want. People get into Cambridge with those grades so its also misleading to pretend its going to be pointless applying.
But they arent bad GCSEs? Forgetting top universities and what they want. People get into Cambridge with those grades so its also misleading to pretend its going to be pointless applying.

I didn't say it was pointless, I just said that success was unlikely which is an empirically verifiable fact. And they may be bad, depending on the standard by which we judge them. By the standard of an average top 10 University applicant, even in less competitive subjects, they are not strong results.

And yes, people get in Cambridge with those results, but one boy also got into Oxford with BCC, what does that prove?
I didn't say it was pointless, I just said that success was unlikely which is an empirically verifiable fact. And they may be bad, depending on the standard by which we judge them. By the standard of an average top 10 University applicant, even in less competitive subjects, they are not strong results.

And yes, people get in Cambridge with those results, but one boy also got into Oxford with BCC, what does that prove?

That it does happen. So apply. Theres no reason why that cant be this person.

All I'm saying is As arent bad. It's stupid to think they are and AS Levels would make up for any poorer GCSEs if you did very well.
Reply 17

What do you think is the best way to approach this goal, so that I can reach institutions such as imperial college?
That it does happen. So apply. Theres no reason why that cant be this person.

All I'm saying is As arent bad. It's stupid to think they are and AS Levels would make up for any poorer GCSEs if you did very well.

AS Levels do not totally make up for poor GCSEs, particularly not in subjects such as medicine etcetera, although overall they can never be fully compensated for (of course I'm talking top 10 in this case).

There is is a good reason why you can't be that person though, which is that the chances are infinitesimal. Besides the fact that the example I cited was a person who had a place guaranteed by a social-mobility scheme. If you were correct and it was wise to apply to a top University despite such results, most people would qualify for Oxbridge, but they don't, so it must be false.

And okay, in some circumstances As at GCSE are not bad, however in others they are. It's not stupid to think they are when statistic from top Universities consistently affirm that people with higher GCSE grades get more offers and places.
AS Levels do not totally make up for poor GCSEs, particularly not in subjects such as medicine etcetera, although overall they can never be fully compensated for (of course I'm talking top 10 in this case).

There is is a good reason why you can't be that person though, which is that the chances are infinitesimal. Besides the fact that the example I cited was a person who had a place guaranteed by a social-mobility scheme. If you were correct and it was wise to apply to a top University despite such results, most people would qualify for Oxbridge, but they don't, so it must be false.

And okay, in some circumstances As at GCSE are not bad, however in others they are. It's not stupid to think they are when statistic from top Universities consistently affirm that people with higher GCSE grades get more offers and places.

Lets just agree to disagree. Because even according to an admissions tutor from Cambridge, you're wrong. I only agree with you in terms of STEM subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest