The Student Room Group

Question reguarding Art, Product Design and P.E GCSE

Hi there, i just wanted to know that having a low grade on the subjects mentioned at the title will affect me significally? (Let's say i got a F - D on these subjects). While i have grades c or above in Humanities, R.E and the core subjects (Maths, English, Science etc.)
Original post by Someguy204863
Hi there, i just wanted to know that having a low grade on the subjects mentioned at the title will affect me significally? (Let's say i got a F - D on these subjects). While i have grades c or above in Humanities, R.E and the core subjects (Maths, English, Science etc.)

No. Or are you planning on going into art/design?
Original post by AlphaDog0127
No. Or are you planning on going into art/design?

No i don't plan on doing anything art related. Same goes for P.E and Product Design.
No i don't plan on doing anything art related. Same goes for P.E and Product Design.

Then you're fine lol
Then you're fine lol

Really? lol sorry i'm not familiar with this but thank you so much for the clarification :biggrin:.
Well, it won't affect you massively (not being able to get a decent job for example), but it will definitely limit your chances of getting into a top or a normal college as well as university. Also, it will affect you greatly if you are planning to carry on, as someone has already mentioned above.

If you get low grades on those, then you will get less points overall, meaning that you won't be able to do many A-levels.

I'm guessing those are your options for your GCSE?
Really? lol sorry i'm not familiar with this but thank you so much for the clarification :biggrin:.

Did you get the required grades for whatever you wanted to go onto next? e.g. college/6th form? As long as you got at least Cs in the core subjects, mainly English/Maths that's all that really matters tbh
Original post by PerplexedBird
Well, it won't affect you massively (not being able to get a decent job for example), but it will definitely limit your chances of getting into a top or a normal college as well as university. Also, it will affect you greatly if you are planning to carry on, as someone has already mentioned above.

If you get low grades on those, then you will get less points overall, meaning that you won't be able to do many A-levels.

I'm guessing those are your options for your GCSE?

I was planning to do A level Maths after higher papers. Is that still possible? And also A level for music (I believe you have to earn a distinction on Music theory grade 5 before a levels)
Did you get the required grades for whatever you wanted to go onto next? e.g. college/6th form? As long as you got at least Cs in the core subjects, mainly English/Maths that's all that really matters tbh

Well i'm doing Higher papers in college as i entered foundation GCSE for the core subjects. And also gaming course level 2.
Well i'm doing Higher papers in college as i entered foundation GCSE for the core subjects. And also gaming course level 2.

What are you hoping to do after college? a Uni course?
Before I was allowed to pick A-level maths, (yesterday in enrolment) they looked at all my grades to see whether I was a hard-working student, motivated and dedicated, because in order to do maths in my school you need an A grade at GCSE (it's highly competitive).

But I think they will allow you (if your school is not as strict) because at the end of the day if you got the grades required to do that subject, then you showed them that you are capable. So yes I guess.

For music, I think you need to do GCSE first (in my school you do) and get a certain level/grade as you just said.
What classes you will be allowed to do largely depends on where you are planning to apply. If you are continuing on at your previous school for years 12 and 13 you wont always need to meet the requirements for said course in order to do it. My brother did AS Music having never sat a grading nor GCSE Music.
Original post by PerplexedBird
Before I was allowed to pick A-level maths, (yesterday in enrolment) they looked at all my grades to see whether I was a hard-working student, motivated and dedicated, because in order to do maths in my school you need an A grade at GCSE (it's highly competitive).

But I think they will allow you (if your school is not as strict) because at the end of the day if you got the grades required to do that subject, then you showed them that you are capable. So yes I guess.

For music, I think you need to do GCSE first (in my school you do) and get a certain level/grade as you just said.

Music theory grade 5 is equivelent to a gcse i think.
What classes you will be allowed to do largely depends on where you are planning to apply. If you are continuing on at your previous school for years 12 and 13 you wont always need to meet the requirements for said course in order to do it. My brother did AS Music having never sat a grading nor GCSE Music.

I know where i can a level music. The entry requirements was to pass grade 5 ABRSM theory IIRC.

Quick Reply

Latest