The Student Room Group

How many hours of work outside of school time should I do to obtain these grades?

I am going into year 12 and will have 14 hours of school per week (an average of 3.5 hours per subject per week). I will be studying AS Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I would like to achieve A's in all of these subjects at the end of year 12 and at least 2 A*'s at the end of year 13. How many hours of work should I do outside of school? Also if anyone has any study tips or just general tips for any of these subjects it would be appreciated x
I did all of those subjects! haha, it completely depends on what kind of learner you are, fortunately for me I remember things quite well so I did no revision apart from a couple of past papers a week or so before the exams and got As.. however if you're aiming for As and A*s my teachers recommended an extra 5-7 hours per week per subject outside of college, so an hour a night per subject and anything extra on the weekends should be fine, it is important to do good quality revision though, not just reading notes for an hour then forgetting them..
Reply 2
Original post by JRFishers
I did all of those subjects! haha, it completely depends on what kind of learner you are, fortunately for me I remember things quite well so I did no revision apart from a couple of past papers a week or so before the exams and got As.. however if you're aiming for As and A*s my teachers recommended an extra 5-7 hours per week per subject outside of college, so an hour a night per subject and anything extra on the weekends should be fine, it is important to do good quality revision though, not just reading notes for an hour then forgetting them..

Thanks, really helpful! What would you consider 'good quality revision'? x
Original post by embem10
Thanks, really helpful! What would you consider 'good quality revision'? x

For maths I would do lots of practice examples until it is pretty much engraved in your mind, you should get to the point where you look at a past paper question and go "oh, I know straight away what method to use for this", a lot of time is wasted in mathematics exams by just looking at a question wondering where to start..

For chemistry, practice definitions, you will be given a lot of them, make sure you know them very well, and also learn to make connections between different topics within chemistry as they like to test this in exam papers.

Physics, similar to maths, lots of examples and try not to overcomplicate it, identify the method and follow it, and also make sure you learn the model answers for the longer questions, they can give you some easy marks! :smile:

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, like I said I just finished my last year at college and did all of these subjects :P
Reply 4
For maths I would do lots of practice examples until it is pretty much engraved in your mind, you should get to the point where you look at a past paper question and go "oh, I know straight away what method to use for this", a lot of time is wasted in mathematics exams by just looking at a question wondering where to start..

For chemistry, practice definitions, you will be given a lot of them, make sure you know them very well, and also learn to make connections between different topics within chemistry as they like to test this in exam papers.

Physics, similar to maths, lots of examples and try not to overcomplicate it, identify the method and follow it, and also make sure you learn the model answers for the longer questions, they can give you some easy marks! :smile:

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, like I said I just finished my last year at college and did all of these subjects :P

Thank you - that's so kind! Maths revision is definitely my strong point as I actually enjoy it. :colondollar: I think Chemistry will be my weakest subject and I was wondering are the basic concepts difficult to understand or is the memorising harder? Do Physics and Maths cross over a lot?
Original post by embem10
Thank you - that's so kind! Maths revision is definitely my strong point as I actually enjoy it. :colondollar: I think Chemistry will be my weakest subject and I was wondering are the basic concepts difficult to understand or is the memorising harder? Do Physics and Maths cross over a lot?

well in my 2nd year I chose to do mechanics in maths which obviously has alot of cross over with physics.. in general though it doesn't cross over that much, however being good at maths is obviously a bonus as it allows you to revise more of the understanding rather than learning some of the basic maths which you will learn anyway in your maths class.

About chemistry, it depends on what sort of person you are, I found the understanding parts of chemistry quite easy but I didn't really like having to memorize definitions, colour changes, reactions, conditions, ect..

Basic Concepts aren't difficult to understand really, it follows on from GCSE and in the first year it is quite easy to understand, It is important that you do make sure you fully understand them as they will be building blocks which some of the harder stuff will depend on..
Reply 6
For those subjects just do every past paper ever published before your exam and you will get A's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
well in my 2nd year I chose to do mechanics in maths which obviously has alot of cross over with physics.. in general though it doesn't cross over that much, however being good at maths is obviously a bonus as it allows you to revise more of the understanding rather than learning some of the basic maths which you will learn anyway in your maths class.

About chemistry, it depends on what sort of person you are, I found the understanding parts of chemistry quite easy but I didn't really like having to memorize definitions, colour changes, reactions, conditions, ect..

Basic Concepts aren't difficult to understand really, it follows on from GCSE and in the first year it is quite easy to understand, It is important that you do make sure you fully understand them as they will be building blocks which some of the harder stuff will depend on..

Okay, I do understand the basics from GCSE and I think I'll just have to put my head down to memorize the Chemistry - the flame test colours at GCSE weren't too bad once I really went for it. Please could you explain the different maths modules for me? x
Original post by embem10
Okay, I do understand the basics from GCSE and I think I'll just have to put my head down to memorize the Chemistry - the flame test colours at GCSE weren't too bad once I really went for it. Please could you explain the different maths modules for me? x

You have CORE 1,2,3,4 which you have to take, I forgot alot of the actual topics but everyone does these so you can google its content, core 1,2 build on what you did at GCSE and include some new, but easy, topics.

You then have statistics which is all about probability, alot of students found this hard at my college but I liked it, if you think logically about it and follow the rules and don't overcomplicate the questions its fine.

Mechanics is what I took in 2nd year, it is about gravity, forces, tension, friction, resolving forces, acceleration, momentum, collision, but you should find this very very easy as you would have done it in physics already.

You then have decision which you will probably do in further mathematics, I found this one harder then the others as it introduces alot of new concepts, but if you revise the methods then it isn't too bad. Decision is about following a set of instructions so if you revise the methods it makes it alot easier.

Further Pure is the hardest module imo, it introduces complex numbers and matrices, it may be worth while doing abit of research on these to get abit of a head start so it isn't overwhelming when you do it in class.
Reply 9
You have CORE 1,2,3,4 which you have to take, I forgot alot of the actual topics but everyone does these so you can google its content, core 1,2 build on what you did at GCSE and include some new, but easy, topics.

You then have statistics which is all about probability, alot of students found this hard at my college but I liked it, if you think logically about it and follow the rules and don't overcomplicate the questions its fine.

Mechanics is what I took in 2nd year, it is about gravity, forces, tension, friction, resolving forces, acceleration, momentum, collision, but you should find this very very easy as you would have done it in physics already.

You then have decision which you will probably do in further mathematics, I found this one harder then the others as it introduces alot of new concepts, but if you revise the methods then it isn't too bad. Decision is about following a set of instructions so if you revise the methods it makes it alot easier.

Further Pure is the hardest module imo, it introduces complex numbers and matrices, it may be worth while doing abit of research on these to get abit of a head start so it isn't overwhelming when you do it in class.

It all sounds interesting, I'm so happy I took Maths! I'll definitely take your advice about FP. I can't thank you enough for all your help on this thread! x
Original post by embem10
It all sounds interesting, I'm so happy I took Maths! I'll definitely take your advice about FP. I can't thank you enough for all your help on this thread! x

Yeah, further maths is hard but if you do alot of practice questions and don't stress or overcomplicate the methods it is doable. It is also a subject where if you do enough revision a lot of people get 90% or more in it, but that is also because everyone who does it is really good at maths :P

Quick Reply

Latest