The Student Room Group

Dropping out before it starts

Hi all,

Just looking for some clarification on the process.

I've decided to not go to university, despite having had my offer and applied for student finance. How do I go about dropping out?
Original post by Tom Smiffy
Hi all,

Just looking for some clarification on the process.

I've decided to not go to university, despite having had my offer and applied for student finance. How do I go about dropping out?

Phone the University and tell them you don't want to attend.
Phone Student Finance and tell them you're not going to start the course.

Bearing in mind that you have a while before term starts, I would think carefully about it before making any decision.

University isn't right for everybody's life or career path, but if it's something you do want to do and there's something putting you off, just make sure that you do want to decline the offer.
Reply 2
Original post by DarkWhite
Phone the University and tell them you don't want to attend.
Phone Student Finance and tell them you're not going to start the course.

Bearing in mind that you have a while before term starts, I would think carefully about it before making any decision.

University isn't right for everybody's life or career path, but if it's something you do want to do and there's something putting you off, just make sure that you do want to decline the offer.

Cheers. Was pretty sure it'd be that simple. Just not sure it's the right path for me. Looking at journalism. Plan was to do a degree in Sports Journo, but now the time has come, don't think it's a worthwhile course.
Original post by Tom Smiffy
Cheers. Was pretty sure it'd be that simple. Just not sure it's the right path for me. Looking at journalism. Plan was to do a degree in Sports Journo, but now the time has come, don't think it's a worthwhile course.

This might sound like an odd thing to do, but have you considered trying to speak to people who hire sports journos and see what they think about it? Local papers, regional and national papers, magazines, online editors, etc. Worst they can do is say they're too busy or ignore your email.

You're not asking for hours of their time, just an opinion on whether you need a qualification or not and if so whether this one would suit; maybe a very brief chat.

Maybe read through the comments from panellists at the bottom of this live Q&A? http://careers.theguardian.com/sports-journalism

If it turns out that a Sports Journo degree is a solid headstart trying to get into the industry then I feel it would be a shame to cancel your offer on Monday morning and not be able to get it back. Whereas if it's not a great route to go down, you've got a few weeks in which to call the university, and then you'll be comforted knowing that you've made an informed decision and have an idea of how else to get that dream job? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DarkWhite
This might sound like an odd thing to do, but have you considered trying to speak to people who hire sports journos and see what they think about it? Local papers, regional and national papers, magazines, online editors, etc. Worst they can do is say they're too busy or ignore your email.

You're not asking for hours of their time, just an opinion on whether you need a qualification or not and if so whether this one would suit; maybe a very brief chat.

Maybe read through the comments from panellists at the bottom of this live Q&A? http://careers.theguardian.com/sports-journalism

If it turns out that a Sports Journo degree is a solid headstart trying to get into the industry then I feel it would be a shame to cancel your offer on Monday morning and not be able to get it back. Whereas if it's not a great route to go down, you've got a few weeks in which to call the university, and then you'll be comforted knowing that you've made an informed decision and have an idea of how else to get that dream job? :smile:

Handy advice. I've done some research, wouldn't hurt to do a bit more. Guess I still have some time not to make an impulsive decision. Spent some time this year at a paper in India, and keen to head back out there if possible, but may not be the right time.

Cheers for your help.
You could always defer your entry for a year in case you feel differently next year. Do contact student finance to let them know you're not starting this year though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending