The Student Room Group

Please help

Hello I want to study medicine at Cambridge and attained 7 As and 2 Bs at GCSE which I didn't revise much for. Do i still have a shot at Cambridge medicine if I do well in AS and A level with good BMAT scores and strong personal statement
Reply 1
Honestly? No. If you read this table it will show you that in the 2012 cycle no applicant was made an offer without at least one A* at GCSE. A few applicants got offers with less than 50% A*'s, but they had excellent AS UMS and presumably an excellent BMAT. But the vast majority of successful applicants had at least 10A*s and very high AS UMS.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf

If you apply sensibly you could get an offer elsewhere, but you need to do lots of research.
Do you know of any very good universities that I can get into for medicine with these grades and excellent A levels?
Also do cambridge not prefer a levels to GCSE?
Reply 4
Original post by BigDreamer123
Also do cambridge not prefer a levels to GCSE?

They select mainly on AS grades and BMAT. Do you expect to get near 100% UMS in your AS's?
Reply 5
Do you know of any very good universities that I can get into for medicine with these grades and excellent A levels?

All med schools are considered equal - no good or bad ones, just different.

There is no short cut to doing the homework on this. Go to the medicine wiki, top right, and read through the entrance requirements. Then find out where you CAN apply, but make sure you understand the huge difference between minimum requirements (esp for your GCSE's) and the actual profile of candidates that get interviews. I think I have explained this to you once already regarding Cambridge. Once you have narrowed it down to a shortlist you need to study every word of the prospectus to make sure you max your score on their assessment scale. Only apply where you stand a good change of interview, you are not in a position to try long shots because you like the idea of Oxbridge.

Finally - look very carefully at why you underperformed at GCSE . Tbh you come across as someone who is expecting a lot on little effort - that will need to change very quickly. And READ.
Suppose I were to get near 100% in AS and BMAT could I get in? If not would it be advised that I repeat my gcses really want cambridge medicine
Suppose I were to get near 100% in AS and BMAT could I get in? If not would it be advised that I repeat my gcses really want cambridge medicine

No what's the point? It will just add extra pressure. Apply somewhere else, it doesn't affect your job prospects where you go. Let's face it, what's to say you can get close to 100%? A levels aren't easy.
Any good unis you would recommend thanks
Because all unis bar cambridge Bristol and Sussex prefer GCSES
Because all unis bar cambridge Bristol and Sussex prefer GCSES

Actually hardly any unis put their main emphasis on gcses. If you get a good ukcat you can apply to loads of unis successfully. I think you're getting confused about a levels, for everywhere but Oxbridge, your a levels mean nothing as long as you meet the minimum requirements.
Reply 11
Any good unis you would recommend thanks

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs
Does anyone recommend I retake or remark the GCSES
Reply 13
No.
Reply 14

Absolutely not

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.
Reply 16
It's simple, Dreamer. Give up on Cambridge - you won't be going there. Focus like a lazer on finding 4 med schools that will consider, hopefully favour, your application. Do this by studying their prospectuses and reading the threads here on each individual med school until you understand exacty what they are looking for, not just their minimum requirements (that's a whole other story). There is no short cut here, you need to do it and stop getting everyone else to do your homework for you..Then make absolutely sure you jump highest through every hoop they want .... AS grades, high UKCAT, specific emphasis in PS, whatever.

You are already at a significant disdvantage - don't make it worse by trying to correct those mistakes while ignoring the uphill task ahead. It can be done, but you need to get into gear today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending