The Student Room Group

Does my health and social level 2 merit equal to two Bs at GCSE?

My health and social teacher told me that if I get a merit then it is equal to two Be but I've always struggle to believe that. Say if my GCSE grades are 1A*3Bs and 4Cs if I add my merit grade will it change two 1A*5Bs and 4Cs? I'm extremely confused.
Original post by princessmaroon
My health and social teacher told me that if I get a merit then it is equal to two Be but I've always struggle to believe that. Say if my GCSE grades are 1A*3Bs and 4Cs if I add my merit grade will it change two 1A*5Bs and 4Cs? I'm extremely confused.

Was this a single or double award qualification?
Original post by Sarao
Was this a single or double award qualification?

I'm honestly not sure. It says the level is 'BTEC/EC2 and I have 92 marks.
Points**
Reply 4

Counts as 2 then. I believe a B at GCSE corresponds to 46 points.
Original post by Blobar
Counts as 2 then. I believe a B at GCSE corresponds to 46 points.

Oh I see, so I could count it as 2Bs and not merit? Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply.
As far as I'm away in terms of btec-GCSE/A-Level correlation

Distinction * = A*
Distinction = A
Merit = C
Pass = D/E

I'm nearly sure that's correct

No it does not count as two Bs it just called a merit and does not add up like that you just say 1A* 3Bs and 4Cs and a merit
Original post by Sarao
Sorry for the late reply.
As far as I'm away in terms of btec-GCSE/A-Level correlation

Distinction * = A*
Distinction = A
Merit = C
Pass = D/E

I'm nearly sure that's correct

A merit is a B and a Pass is a C. I'm saying from experience because I just completed my Level 2 in Health & Social Care BTEC.
Oh I see, so I could count it as 2Bs and not merit? Thanks!

It counts as two merits, not 2 Bs. It is the equivalent of 2 B grades and some colleges and universities will accept it as that, but others will not. Technically it is not actually 2 B grades.
Original post by funkydee19
A merit is a B and a Pass is a C. I'm saying from experience because I just completed my Level 2 in Health & Social Care BTEC.

I just checked the equivalence tables and I as almost right

D*- A*
D - A
M- B/C
P- D/E

The M and P are stroked because there is no direct equivalency. A Merit is the middle grade so it's B/C but it's neither just B or C it's simply the mid grade like those are.
P is the bottom grade like D/E but again it's neither D or E just the bottom grade such as those.

This person can't make their merits into standard grades because there is so direct equivalency. So therefore they have 'MM' not 'BB' or 'CC' because it just simply can't be translated into a standard grade
Original post by Sarao
I just checked the equivalence tables and I as almost right

D*- A*
D - A
M- B/C
P- D/E

The M and P are stroked because there is no direct equivalency. A Merit is the middle grade so it's B/C but it's neither just B or C it's simply the mid grade like those are.
P is the bottom grade like D/E but again it's neither D or E just the bottom grade such as those.

This person can't make their merits into standard grades because there is so direct equivalency. So therefore they have 'MM' not 'BB' or 'CC' because it just simply can't be translated into a standard grade

Hmm okay. Well from the BTEC I did which is a First Diploma. A merit is equivalent to B, B, B, B proof: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Backup/BTEC-to-GQ-Equivalence-Guide.pdf You may be talking about a certificate which a merit will be equivalent to a C
Original post by funkydee19
Hmm okay. Well from the BTEC I did which is a First Diploma. A merit is equivalent to B, B, B, B proof: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Backup/BTEC-to-GQ-Equivalence-Guide.pdf You may be talking about a certificate which a merit will be equivalent to a C

I used the table that universities use and how they determine them
I am completing my level 3 Cambridge technical in health and social care a merit isn’t a B it is in fact a C however that been said it is not graded in that way it is done on your points and then once you’re thinking about university’s it is done on your ucas points, therefore it wouldn’t matter what the equivalent was only your points.

Quick Reply

Latest