The Student Room Group

URGENT Need advice concerning ma

Hey guys I have just received my GCSE results which were overall great until I realised that I only achieved a C in my maths, this was hugely disappointing and a massive surprise to me as I am an A student. Since I had a C I could not choose A level maths as one of my options for my A level choices on the day of my results (even if I am resiting my maths to achieve the A at GCSE this year). I must have A level maths to get into the engineering courses at university. So I have 3 A levels chosen that aren't Maths and I have nowhere to study maths outside of my school unless I have a B in my GCSE maths. Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how I can study A level maths this year and not two years down the line after my 3 A levels which I'm studying this year.

need help, all suggestions are welcome.

thanks
One option would be to teach the maths A-Level to yourself and take the exam as a private candidate at another college (this is how I achieved all 3 of my A-Levels). It involves buying the approved textbooks, extensive research on the internet, learning exam technique, past papers etc. If you insist to your college that you are teaching it to yourself in your spare time, they may enter you into the exam at your own college.

I must warn though, self-teaching only works for some people. It requires massive amounts of discipline - so it's up to you whether you think you're up for it or not.

One thing to bear in mind, is that if your college won't let you take it there - you'd have to ensure that the exams don't clash with others, as you cannot be in two places at once!

The cost is around £25-£20 per exam, plus £50-£100 administration fee per exam series (e.g. June 2015).

Quick Reply

Latest