The Student Room Group

Are my A level choices okay to study biochemistry or medicine at university?

I got my GCSE results on Thursday and was pleasantly surprised. I expected about 2 A*s, 3 As and a few Bs and Cs. Here's what I got:
Maths - A*A*
English Lit - A*
English Lang - A*
ICT - A*
Latin - A*
Spanish - A*
French - A
History - A*
Geography - A
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
RS - A*

I was originally considering a career in biochemistry. Now that I have my results, I'm thinking that maybe I might actually have a chance to study medicine.

I chose to study Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Spanish at A level. Some people have laughed at my choice and told me I also need to study Maths to even stand a chance. The thing is, I honestly think that a language at A level is invaluable. Being able to speak two languages can be a huge help in our current economic climate. I also got full marks on all aspects of my English Literature GCSE exam and it's a subject I really enjoy.

Am I silly for choosing these A levels?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MsTyrell
I got my GCSE results on Thursday and was pleasantly surprised. I expected about 2 A*s, 3 As and a few Bs and Cs. Here's what I got:
Maths - A*A*
English Lit - A*
English Lang - A*
ICT - A*
Latin - A*
Spanish - A*
French - A
History - A*
Geography - A
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
RS - A*

I was originally considering a career in biochemistry. Now that I have my results, I'm thinking that maybe I might actually have a chance to study medicine.

I chose to study Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Spanish at A level. Some people have laughed at my choice and told me I also need to study Maths to even stand a chance. The thing is, I honestly think that a language at A level is invaluable. Being able to speak two languages can be a huge help in our current economic climate. I also got full marks on all aspects of my English Literature GCSE exam and it's a subject I really enjoy.

Wow! Well done on your GCSEs, your subject choices are excellent I think, you've got the essential bio and chem subjects and some unis such as imperial/ucl/kings value a contrasting subject, alongside the essential science ones so you should stand out aswell :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 2en1
Wow! Well done on your GCSEs, your subject choices are excellent I think, you've got the essential bio and chem subjects and some unis such as imperial/ucl/kings value a contrasting subject, alongside the essential science ones so you should stand out aswell :smile:

Thanks:smile:. Just checking to make sure the absence of A level maths is okay? I'm really worried!
Hey, maybe change English Lit or Spanish for Physics or Maths. But apart from that - great options.

And very well done with your grades :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks:smile:. Just checking to make sure the absence of A level maths is okay? I'm really worried!

Obviously a lot of people will have maths because they really like the subject, it's not a must to pick it if you don't like it. remember this is A levels so to do well you need to pick subjects you enjoy as it requires a lot of work!:smile:
Reply 5
Maths - A*A*
English Lit - A*
English Lang - A*
ICT - A*
Latin - A*
Spanish - A*
French - A
History - A*
Geography - A
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
RS - A*

You have biology and chemistry which is what you need. I don't know much about medicine as I'm applying for dentistry, but those are the only subjects you need. The other choices are up to you.
You have the right idea about taking a language, although, ensure that your commitment to Eng Lit and Spanish doesnt bring down your Bio and Chem grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by mmp97
You have biology and chemistry which is what you need. I don't know much about medicine as I'm applying for dentistry, but those are the only subjects you need. The other choices are up to you.
You have the right idea about taking a language, although, ensure that your commitment to Eng Lit and Spanish doesnt bring down your Bio and Chem grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks everyone! I'm going to switch from Spanish to Maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest