The Student Room Group

Good enough for Medicine?

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jakz007
Hey guys I got 4A*'s 7A's 2 and 2 and a half B's and a D. I got the D in English Literature.

I am so distraught about that D. Would that D affect my chances at Medicine? (All other things being good of course, for example, A levels, UKCAT etc)

Thank you

Tough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jakz007
Hey guys I got 4A*'s 7A's 2 and 2 and a half B's and a D. I got the D in English Literature.

I am so distraught about that D. Would that D affect my chances at Medicine? (All other things being good of course, for example, A levels, UKCAT etc)

Thank you

Your other grades are very good - it shouldn't be a massive problem, but it would still be worth checking so you don't apply to med schools which place a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Worst case you could always retake it, but honestly I think it'll be okay assuming you got a decent grade for English language.
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
Your other grades are very good - it shouldn't be a massive problem, but it would still be worth checking so you don't apply to med schools which place a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Worst case you could always retake it, but honestly I think it'll be okay assuming you got a decent grade for English language.

Ahh thank you! And yes, I got an A in English Language so I suppose I'll be okay:smile:
Those are amazing results be proud! If you had got D's in both Lit and Lang, then it may have been a problem. However, as you got an amazing A in Lang, it shouldn't be too huge an issue. Maybe don't apply to universities like Oxford and Birmingham who are obsessed with GCSEs. Work hard at A level, and you'll be fine. Wow, you took SO many GCSEs, I only took 10 :-)
Original post by Jakz007

Thank you

Those grades are fine like the others have said; however you have to be way average in other aspects of the application such as BMAT, UKCAT and UMS scores (A level) and really strong personal statement and sound interview. Goodluck to you!

Help me I am very upset because I think I failed my gcse.

I got:

maths: A*
Physics: A*
Chemistry: A
Biology: B (My course went down from A* to B so I could not achieve my A)
Graphics: A
ICT: B (Again my course work went down so I could not achieve my A)
RE: B (I failed the exam and my prediction was an A*)
Geography: B (one of my exam I got D so I could not achieve my A again)
English: B (I flopped my exam)

I Wanted to achieve all my gcse A*/A, but the course work made me down :frown:
At the moment, I will be studying A level maths, chemistry, biology and physics

At the same time, I am worried that I can't study medicine, as my gcse is horrible.

please can anyone help me out what to do or name universities that I can study medicine?

Reply 7
Original post by AnkitKapoor
Those are amazing results be proud! If you had got D's in both Lit and Lang, then it may have been a problem. However, as you got an amazing A in Lang, it shouldn't be too huge an issue. Maybe don't apply to universities like Oxford and Birmingham who are obsessed with GCSEs. Work hard at A level, and you'll be fine. Wow, you took SO many GCSEs, I only took 10 :-)

Haha thank you! I will try my utmost best at A levels. Yes our school did early entries (started GCSE in year 9 then year 10, then 11). It would have been better if my school just all our exams at the end of year 11 (even-tough it'd be much harder with all those subjects) but if we learnt it over 3/2 years, it wouldn't have been that hard and plus you'd be in a more mature mindset if you took them in year 11 rather than year 9, so you'd naturally want better grades.

None the less thank you for your reply:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by coldhell
Those grades are fine like the others have said; however you have to be way average in other aspects of the application such as BMAT, UKCAT and UMS scores (A level) and really strong personal statement and sound interview. Goodluck to you!

Thank you for the advice!:smile: I will try my bestest in all those criteria you have listed above. Thank you for commenting:smile:
Original post by Medically

Help me I am very upset because I think I failed my gcse.

I got:

maths: A*
Chemistry: A
Biology: B (My course went down from A* to B so I could not achieve my A)
Graphics: A
ICT: B (Again my course work went down so I could not achieve my A)
RE: B (I failed the exam and my prediction was an A*)
Geography: B (one of my exam I got D so I could not achieve my A again)
English: B (I flopped my exam)

I Wanted to achieve all my gcse A*/A, but the course work made me down :frown:
At the moment, I will be studying A level maths, chemistry, biology and physics

At the same time, I am worried that I can't study medicine, as my gcse is horrible.

please can anyone help me out what to do or name universities that I can study medicine?

If you class those grades as failed then don't pursue medicine :colone:
Hi guys,
So basically I was hoping to apply for medicine at Oxford University... But I don't know if I should after looking at my GCSE results..:/
I got:
Maths: A*
Chemistry: A*
Latin:A*
Geography: A*
ICT: A*
English Lit: A
English Lang: A
French: A
Art: A
Biology: A

Do you guys think that I can still apply for Oxbridge for medicine with those grades?
I'm going to do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics for A-level and am hoping to achieve A* in Maths (since I'm doing the whole of maths in one year) and AAA for the rest of the subjects.
I was wondering if you could tell me whether those results are okay for medicine...as in if I would still have a chance..? Going to Oxford university has been a goal of mine but with these results I'm not too sure as to whether I'd qualify through the elimination process or not:/
Guys, I got in my GCSEs:
R.E: A*
Double Science: A/B
Maths, English lang, english lit, Art, Spanish, History: B

Will this get me into medical uni in london or anywhere else in uk? I really want to go into medince
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rolypoly1997
Hi guys,
So basically I was hoping to apply for medicine at Oxford University... But I don't know if I should after looking at my GCSE results..:/
I got:
Maths: A*
Chemistry: A*
Latin:A*
Geography: A*
ICT: A*
English Lit: A
English Lang: A
French: A
Art: A
Biology: A

Do you guys think that I can still apply for Oxbridge for medicine with those grades?
I'm going to do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics for A-level and am hoping to achieve A* in Maths (since I'm doing the whole of maths in one year) and AAA for the rest of the subjects.
I was wondering if you could tell me whether those results are okay for medicine...as in if I would still have a chance..? Going to Oxford university has been a goal of mine but with these results I'm not too sure as to whether I'd qualify through the elimination process or not:/

I think you'd probably be better applying to Cambridge rather than Oxford (providing you get good marks in your AS Levels).

Oxford information here:

(http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics)

Useful Cambridge stats on page 4 of this: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf
Original post by Jakz007
Thank you for the advice!:smile: I will try my bestest in all those criteria you have listed above. Thank you for commenting:smile:

You're welcome! Don't be discouraged with those grades--those grades are amazing. And other things do play a large factor such as high UKCAT as you can really stand out and bag an interview but do well in an interview as well! Lastly just to make you feel better, one of my friends, who had 10 A*s and 2As, got an interview from Leeds, but got rejected post interview. That just shows how important interviews really are :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by coldhell
You're welcome! Don't be discouraged with those grades--those grades are amazing. And other things do play a large factor such as high UKCAT as you can really stand out and bag an interview but do well in an interview as well! Lastly just to make you feel better, one of my friends, who had 10 A*s and 2As, got an interview from Leeds, but got rejected post interview. That just shows how important interviews really are :biggrin:

Thank you once again for commenting and Ill keep note of everything you have said:smile:
Hi :-) I'm in need of some advice, I know I just got my GCSE results, but I can't help wonder what kind of universities I could do medicine in with these grades. I know they're not perfect, but I tried very hard.

I got 6 A*s in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Literature, English Language and Philosophy and Ethics( Full course)

I got 2As in Maths and History

I got a B in geography ( c in course work, As in both exams)

and finally a C in drama( I CANT BELIEVE I PASSED :-D )

so what unis do I stand a chance of getting in to? I also really need to start volunteering, and I don't think I've got any UKCAS apart from my grades. Any advice on how to get some would be very helpful
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think you'd probably be better applying to Cambridge rather than Oxford (providing you get good marks in your AS Levels).

Oxford information here:

(http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics)

Useful Cambridge stats on page 4 of this: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf

Thanks a lot for your advice! I have been doing thorough research and have been going through the websites of Oxbridge and imperial...and from what I've seen, Cambridge and Imperial have a set of grades they require at gcses but they do look more for predicted grades and excellent AS grades...so hopefully, I can do my best and achieve four As at AS and a good BMAT score:smile:
Thanks for the help!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest