The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Mature Students At Nottingham?

I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham, as it's pretty reputable for my course (Economics), and I've visited friends there a few times and absolutely loved it.

The thing is, though, I'm a mature student (I'd be 22 or possibly 23 when I started), and, though I'm very much "young at heart" and love to party etc., the impression I got of the uni was that it was mostly full of 18-19 year olds (as with all unis, ofc) who were often straight out of private school and might not be able to relate to a mature student. And I want the whole experience living in halls and going out for Freshers and so on, so I basically want to be doing everything the youngsters would be doing.

Would a mature undergrad student fit in at Notts? Thanks :smile:
You're not that old. There will be plenty of others the same age. Nobody will think twice about it unless you make it an issue.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
22/23 isn't that old. Think of it this way, a lot of Masters students start at that age and they'll be freshers just like you. 1 in 10 undergraduates and 9 in 10 postgraduates here are 22+, thousands of whom will be freshers.

If you're in halls, nobody will even know your age without you consciously telling them. I can't remember ever being asked how old I was! We had someone in halls who was somewhere in his 30s and he was just like any other fresher.

Plus a lot of students take gap years so are around the 20 mark when they start. People aren't going to treat you differently, just make the most of it :smile:
Reply 3
Ill be 20 when I start at Nottingham this September. I know it's not quite as old as you but I don't think you should let it put you off. Around the age of 18 or 19 is when most reach 'adulthood' and generally wouldn't care how old you are and would just respect for making the decision of going to uni later than traditionally.

There will likely be many around your age in halls, and if there aren't there will definitely be some in any societies and sports you participate in.
Reply 4
I'm 38 and due to start at Nottingham uni next month, however I'll be at a different campus (Derby royal hospital), so not a huge number of young people.
Reply 5
Hi I am starting mental health nursing at Nottingham next month aged 37 x its not an age its experience lol xx good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm 23 starting nursing next month at nottingham :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending