The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

University not handling accommodation

Hi,

I got an offer for accommodation on Thursday afternoon and paid the deposit in full on Friday morning. My deadline is tomorrow, but I haven't had any kind of confirmation email yet. I'm worried they might not even work on weekends, I can't contact them. If they don't send it to me by tomorrow then I'm screwed, through no fault of my own, and I don't know what to do.

Any advice or information on this?

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi,
I got my offer of accommodation yesterday and phoned them because I wasn't happy with it. I have to pay the deposit by Monday and they said to me that because it is bank holiday no one will be in the office until Tuesday so there is no one there to reject the offer. You won't be able to speak to them until then. She also said it takes time for the bank to get the money and then this to go to them. I don't know if thats any help at all but I haven't paid yet either :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by Alara19
Hi,
I got my offer of accommodation yesterday and phoned them because I wasn't happy with it. I have to pay the deposit by Monday and they said to me that because it is bank holiday no one will be in the office until Tuesday so there is no one there to reject the offer. You won't be able to speak to them until then. She also said it takes time for the bank to get the money and then this to go to them. I don't know if thats any help at all but I haven't paid yet either :smile:

Thanks. I wish they hadn't made a deadline they couldn't meet themselves, though.
Reply 3
Original post by Egoraptor
Thanks. I wish they hadn't made a deadline they couldn't meet themselves, though.

I completely agree, I really needed to talk to them and if I hadn't been at home yesterday then I wouldn't have had the chance before my offer expiring :smile:
Hi,

I got an offer for accommodation on Thursday afternoon and paid the deposit in full on Friday morning. My deadline is tomorrow, but I haven't had any kind of confirmation email yet. I'm worried they might not even work on weekends, I can't contact them. If they don't send it to me by tomorrow then I'm screwed, through no fault of my own, and I don't know what to do.

Any advice or information on this?

Thanks

Your deadline for what is tomorrow - paying the deposit (which you've already done) or something else? If you've already paid, and the money has left your account, don't worry about it! You'll get an acknowledgement next week.
Reply 5
So I guess I'll have to try to catch them on the phone on Tuesday and hope they'll still be able to sort the offer out and not just go, well you missed the deadline.
Reply 6
Original post by Crumpet1
Your deadline for what is tomorrow - paying the deposit (which you've already done) or something else? If you've already paid, and the money has left your account, don't worry about it! You'll get an acknowledgement next week.

I just checked, and it's not entirely clear what the offer is for. The offer email only says it'll be cancelled if I don't accept or reject the offer by the date (which I have done already), but when I phoned them before they did mention that I had to get the deposit in by that date or they couldn't guarantee me accommodation.

Definitely hope you're right. I guess they wouldn't set a three-day deadline on a Sunday unless it was the case that you just have to press the buttons and get things sent in for them to process in their own time. It just felt like a bit of an oversight at first.
(edited 9 years ago)
I just checked, and it's not entirely clear what the offer is for. The offer email only says it'll be cancelled if I don't accept or reject the offer by the date (which I have done already), but when I phoned them before they did mention that I had to get the deposit in by that date or they couldn't guarantee me accommodation.

Definitely hope you're right though.

How about you reply to the email, confirming you are accepting the offer, and saying you have paid the deposit. Ask them to confirm if they have any queries. That way at least you have an extra paper trail of your acceptance, and the onus is on the accommodation office to reply if there are any concerns.
If I remember rightly it can take a little while for confirmation to come through after you pay, so don't panic. Give them a call on Tuesday if in doubt; nothing will happen before then anyway.
I just checked, and it's not entirely clear what the offer is for.

What does it actually say when you log on to your accommodation account?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending