The Student Room Group

Lecturer tells me to plagiarise!

Hi,

i really need your help with this!

So, I have handed in all my work for this year and finished my exams. I then had a call from one of my lecturers last week after I handed all my work. This lecturer will mark one of my assignments.

They called me to tell me I need to restructure and rewrite some parts of my essay to get a better mark. They said they want me to to well as they believe I am a good students and they like me. (I think the person wants their students to do well so the lecturer looks good and the course looks successful). They asked me to send the electronic copy them so they can make comments on what to change. The email came back with the essay full of parts taken from previous essay and I should "just change them a bit so no one suspects anything".

This is not just plagiarism this is worse! I am supposed to change my essay so it fits the standard of the lecturer and they give me the works of other students to copy from.

I have never written an essay below 63 usually get a 68 or above some up to 80. So I was expecting a high 60. They then said I would barely get a 50 for this if I would not take up the help.

There are 2 options now. Option one would be to keep quiet and do as I was told and avoid receiving a bad mark. Negative side is that I do want to have carrier in academics and this would be about the worst start I could imagine.

Option 2 is that I report the case. This would that have a big effect on many students and others. The lecturer is a visiting lecturer leading a exchange programme for students. So this could potentially mean the lecturer looses their licence to teach here. The friendship between the two universities is at risk and the exchange programme could break down. Additionally this could reflect very badly on my department and the university. It could also fall back on me if the lecturer denies the allegations. I have recorded a phone call and have the emails for proof.

What do you think I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just do as they say, no1 will find out :tongue:
Easy way = Best way
Original post by Tom89smith
Hi,

i really need your help with this!

So, I have handed in all my work for this year and finished my exams. I then had a call from one of my lecturers last week after I handed all my work. This lecturer will mark one of my assignments.

They called me to tell me I need to restructure and rewrite some parts of my essay to get a better mark. They said they want me to to well as they believe I am a good students and they like me. (I think the person wants their students to do well so the lecturer looks good and the course looks successful). They asked me to send the electronic copy them so they can make comments on what to change. The email came back with the essay full of parts taken from previous essay and I should "just change them a bit so no one suspects anything".

This is not just plagiarism this is worse! I am supposed to change my essay so it fits the standard of the lecturer and they give me the works of other students to copy from.

I have never written an essay below 63 usually get a 68 or above some up to 80. So I was expecting a high 60. They then said I would barely get a 50 for this if I would not take up the help.

There are 2 options now. Option one would be to keep quiet and do as I was told and avoid receiving a bad mark. Negative side is that I do want to have carrier in academics and this would be about the worst start I could imagine.

Option 2 is that I report the case. This would that have a big effect on many students and others. The lecturer is a visiting lecturer leading a exchange programme for students. So this could potentially mean the lecturer looses their licence to teach here. The friendship between the two universities is at risk and the exchange programme could break down. Additionally this could reflect very badly on my department and the university. It could also fall back on me if the lecturer denies the allegations. I have recorded a phone call and have the emails for proof.

What do you think I should do?

Option 1. It's the lesser of two evils in this case man. You copy, get a good mark and everyone will be none the wiser. You tell the university, and you will look bad as well because people will blame you for the universities hating each other. And yes, they will blame you because the lecturer will have left.

I hope you do pick option 1, its morally wrong yes but it wont have as many repercussions as option 2.
Option 3.... Tell the lecturer you arent comfortable with taking parts of someone elses work and ask to try again with your own and that you will accept whatever mark you may get.. Cheating ans lying never wins in the long term and telling on the lecturer will only cause you bother too... Be honest and say you cant do it and want to try ur own :smile: good luck
Reply 5
Follow his advice.
Reply 6
Report it this is disgraceful behaviour.

Shame on you students of TSR.
Just do what he says and get the high mark. I bet people take material from old essays and change it all the time anyway
Report the lecturer. They are in the wrong. Going along with it would be cheating. Also, this lecturer is probably pulling the same stunt with other students. Any university would rather retain their good reputation and break ties with another university than let students plagiarise their work.
Original post by MissLisa89
Option 3.... Tell the lecturer you arent comfortable with taking parts of someone elses work and ask to try again with your own and that you will accept whatever mark you may get.. Cheating ans lying never wins in the long term and telling on the lecturer will only cause you bother too... Be honest and say you cant do it and want to try ur own :smile: good luck

This, at least

I would say "report" but it can be dangerous - does your university have a Whistle Blowing Policy

Absolute nonsense and misses the point, it's not about whether or not one will get caught or win and simple observation teaches us cheaters win a lot of the time.
Original post by DErasmus
Absolute nonsense and misses the point, it's not about whether or not one will get caught or win and simple observation teaches us cheaters win a lot of the time.

Sorry but what I said isn't absolute nonsense... It is in my opinion that cheating never wins. I believe in Karma. And I stand by my advice as it is definitely what should be done in this case.
Sorry but what I said isn't absolute nonsense... It is in my opinion that cheating never wins. I believe in Karma. And I stand by my advice as it is definitely what should be done in this case.

Then your opinion is completely wrong.

Source: Our entire history.
Then your opinion is completely wrong.

Source: Our entire history.

And i suggest you look into karma :smile:

silly concept
Original post by ThatNorthernLad
Easy way = Best way

Occams Razor.

Doesn't work like that, there was someone who cheated and got into one of the top uni's..
Try to hoard your integrity in regards to jobs and education and you'll run yourself into the ground, if you can get ahead by cheating without consequence, do it.
silly concept

:dots:
Stop condoning cheating people lol my god
If the lecturers are helping you plagiarise, chances are they're helping others. And seeing as more likely than not those others took the help, blowing the whistle on them means they're in big trouble as well as the lecturer.

I'd say take the help and run with it. It's not like your entire degree is based on plagiarism, snitching will just bring an unnecessary ****storm on everyone.
You'd be causing a significant amount of trouble for people because of an insignificant action, if you feel uncomfortable then speak to them about it, don't go reporting them as that is a bit of a bitch move.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending