The Student Room Group

Got a d in gcse maths help?!

Help i don't know what to do now. I was planning on doing an apprenticeship but what if they ask for my gcse maths grade then im ******. I really dont want to retake it because i know i'll just flop again weird thing is in all my mocks i was getting C's and was predicted to get a low C and some people who got D's in the mock got C's in the real thing it's pi**** me of so much!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bossman2k14
Help i don't know what to do now. I was planning on doing an apprenticeship but what if they ask for my gcse maths grade then im ******. I really dont want to retake it because i know i'll just flop again weird thing is in all my mocks i was getting C's and was predicted to get a low C and some people who got D's in the mock got C's in the real thing it's pi**** me of so much!

Sadly unless you have a grade C in maths, most higher education establishments will not accept you. You will HAVE to resit it. Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Do a retake next year, seriously some uni even ask for gcse maths grades (depending on the course)
Reply 3
Original post by Sacred Ground
Sadly unless you have a grade C in maths, most higher education establishments will not accept you. You will HAVE to resit it. Good luck.

Got an apprenticeship interview next if they don't ask for grades i ain't telling them anything.

I am going college 1 day a week during the apprenticeship to study functional skills level 2 English Maths and ICT. So i'm killing two birds with one stone doing this.
Got an apprenticeship interview next if they don't ask for grades i ain't telling them anything.

didn't they ask for the grades in your application form? they'll find out somehow.. best to retake it ( i think you can retake it in november) then apply to apprenticeships?
(edited 9 years ago)
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)

I am going college 1 day a week during the apprenticeship to study functional skills level 2 English Maths and ICT. So i'm killing two birds with one stone doing this.

Yeah good idea, I'm a twin and my brother is in a similar situation to you except he got a B in maths but a D in English so he's taking functional skills level 2 English. Overall he got EEEDDB so I wouldn't be worried, I'm sure you've done 10x better than him.
Reply 7
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
didn't they ask for the grades in your application form? anyway, they'll find out sooner or later tell them that you got a D and you're sitting it in November.. or retake it then apply to apprenticeships?

The whole point of an apprenticeship is that they don't look too much into grades that's uni. They just want determination and a hard worker. As i mentioned before i will be studying functional skills level 2 maths which is basically A* - C at gcse so it's an equivalent which is what it said on the application form. I put down a C cause that was my predicted grade but unfortunately got a D and yes they will find out sooner or later but will they really care that much if I actually know a lot about ICT which is the whole point of the apprenticeship not maths.

P.s sorry for long essay lol
Reply 8
Yeah good idea, I'm a twin and my brother is in a similar situation to you except he got a B in maths but a D in English so he's taking functional skills level 2 English. Overall he got EEEDDB so I wouldn't be worried, I'm sure you've done 10x better than him.

3 E's :0

I got 3'Ds and 5'Cs and 2 Passes and Merit

But he must be real good at math wish i was him for maths lol
Reply 9
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Retake it.

doing functional skills level 2 maths so its an equivalent for a GCSE at A* - C grade so i'm okay if i can just get that instead
3 E's :0

I got 3'Ds and 5'Cs and 2 Passes and Merit

But he must be real good at math wish i was him for maths lol

They're some decent grades! Yeah, he got the E's in additional and core science and DT. What are you doing an apprenticeship in? :smile:
The whole point of an apprenticeship is that they don't look too much into grades that's uni. They just want determination and a hard worker.

I know they don't look into grades too much but seriously all the ones i've seen want minimum 5 gcse's a*-c, maths and english definitely should be at C+ which is the minimum needed for any job.. and also say you get into these scheme and get your qualifications and decide to apply to another employer a D won't help you. Everyone wants minimum C so its best to retake it (i think you can in november)

As i mentioned before i will be studying functional skills level 2 maths which is basically A* - C at gcse so it's an equivalent which is what it said on the application form. I put down a C cause that was my predicted grade but unfortunately got a D and yes they will find out sooner or later but will they really care that much if I actually know a lot about ICT which is the whole point of the apprenticeship not maths.

P.s sorry for long essay lol

depends on the employer i guess, if you haven't told them and they find out they may not give you the job. Also, you do need maths for an ICT apprenticeship you are most likely to do calculations and stuff..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
I know they don't look into grades too much but seriously all the ones i've seen want minimum 5 gcse's a*-c, maths and english definitely should be at C+ which is the minimum needed for any job.. and also say you get into these scheme and get your qualifications and decide to apply to another employer a D won't help you. Everyone wants minimum C so its best to retake it (i think you can in november)

depends on the employer i guess, if you haven't told them and they find out they may not give you the job. Also, you do need maths for an ICT apprenticeship you are most likely to do calculations and stuff..

Lool yh and thats why the calculator was invented :biggrin:
They're some decent grades! Yeah, he got the E's in additional and core science and DT. What are you doing an apprenticeship in? :smile:

Im doing an ICT apprenticeship and yh maths always was my weakness might just either do the functional skills level 2 maths and if i dont get the apprenticeship ill just go sixth form to do redo gcse maths than continue with A levels
Lool yh and thats why the calculator was invented :biggrin:

what if there isn't a calculator with you and they tell you to complete the work within 15 minutes? you are most likely to do mental calculations in this kind of work. Anyway, who's providing the apprenticeship??
(edited 9 years ago)

Bro, I'm basically in the same position as you however my subject is English Language that I have a D in. Just bite the bullet and resit that's what i'l be doing now for the 3rd time (re-sitting in the British council). Just work hard and you'll get the outcome you want.:colone:
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd retake if I was you, having atleast a C in Maths and English is important
Original post by 29Bilal96
I'd retake if I was you, having atleast a C in Maths and English is important

can you just retake the maths exam without going sixth form full time? because i'm planning on doing an apprenticeship.
can you just retake the maths exam without going sixth form full time? because i'm planning on doing an apprenticeship.

yeah i think you would be able to
Original post by 29Bilal96
yeah i think you would be able to

thats kl then ill just do some revision for the exam now and take the test in novemeber and hopefully get a c in maths. Then i will be ok, however functional skills level 2 is basically gcse in maths so i dont see what the point is of retaking maths gcse of the apprenticeship is offering to let me go college one day a week to do that.

Quick Reply