The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

First year Maths books?

Hi, does anyone know what books we will need for the first semester/year of maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ePlague
Hi, does anyone know what books we will need for the first semester/year of maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only books you will really need are for intro stats and probability (which they may give you a textbook free for probability) and theyre both Schaums books which can easily be found online - the other modules you take will give you access to online textbooks on wiley+

Hope that helps
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Awesome thanks a lot, I was a little curious, how many exams can maths students expect a year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ePlague
Awesome thanks a lot, I was a little curious, how many exams can maths students expect a year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually theres 1 exam per module where 4 are taken in January and 4 are taken in June however be prepared for ALOT of coursework which is done on a weekly basis. For first years the course is split in to two semesters doing 4 modules a semester. 2 20 credit modules a semester and 2 10 credit modules. For the 20 credit modules expect weekly coursework problem sheets to solve and for the 10 credit modules 1 problem sheet every other week.
The maths modules were split 60% coursework 40% exam but im not too sure if that has changed now. Expect 20% of the coursework to include a "basic skills test" which is essentially testing you know the very basic things most of which you covered at A levels.
Reply 4
Does the coursework/exam ratio change in the next years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ePlague
Does the coursework/exam ratio change in the next years?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those were the ratios for the year when I was in my first year (Im going in to third year now) but they may have already changed. It depends on the modules you take in your second and third year. Some modules may be 100% coursework or split 70:30 or 60:40 but for first year all of the core modules were split 60:40. Economics was split 80:20 80 exam 20coursework

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending