The Student Room Group

Want to open a student bank account with Santander, but I'm not a first year....

I went into a branch today and was told that I had to be a first year to open a student account with them, OR I could switch over my student account from somewhere else to them.

The thing is, I don't have a student account from anywhere. As sneaky as it sounds, I'm thinking of opening a student account from say Natwest (or some other bank), and then quickly switching over to Santander like within a month?

Do you think I'm allowed to do this? Has anyone done this before?
Reply 1
you would surely have to give back whatever freebies natwest gave you if you were to cancel so early, but other than that, I don't think theres any rule stopping you?? at least I'm not aware of any

but I'm not sure if this impacts on your credit scores....
Original post by Jack93o
you would surely have to give back whatever freebies natwest gave you if you were to cancel so early, but other than that, I don't think theres any rule stopping you?? at least I'm not aware of any

but I'm not sure if this impacts on your credit scores....

If you already have your freebie you are under no obligation to give it back.

It's a really good idea to open an account (grab the freebie) and then leave.

Why be loyal to the banks? They aren't loyal to you.
Reply 3
Original post by The_Jakal
If you already have your freebie you are under no obligation to give it back.

It's a really good idea to open an account (grab the freebie) and then leave.

Why be loyal to the banks? They aren't loyal to you.

Are you sure theres no penalties in leaving so early?

I feel like there must be at least some restrictions, otherwise people would take the piss with this 'loophole'
Reply 4
Natwest are quite good at the minute if you want a large overdraft they have offered me £2000 overdraft for my second term already, and have gave me a £500 overdraft for my first term.
Original post by fuzzybear
Are you sure theres no penalties in leaving so early?

I feel like there must be at least some restrictions, otherwise people would take the piss with this 'loophole'

I'm 100% sure. Banks just hope that you'll not bother to switch.

I know you can join Santander, wait for your railcard to be sent, close the account and then join another one for example. They wouldn't ask for the railcard back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending