The Student Room Group

plumbing

im 16 and last year i only got 4 a-c's, B in humanites, C in english and 2 c's in I.T. Also i got 2 D's in science, D in maths.

Im having real trouble of what i want to do, i dont feel i have the brain to go to university so i am looking to go to college and maybe get an apprentiship.

i have been thinking of plumbing, is this a good career.

the thing is that i know nothing about plumbing but i am sure that they will teach me everything i'll need to know.

Also i have heard that the pay£ isnt to bad when u qualify to become a fully trained plumber, i heard u get between £25 - £40

What do u think?
Definitely, go for it. If more people thought like you, interested in a well-paid skills-based profession requiring vocational qualifications, we wouldn't have so many leaving uni with relatively worthless degrees.
Jools
Definitely, go for it. If more people thought like you, interested in a well-paid skills-based profession requiring vocational qualifications, we wouldn't have so many leaving uni with relatively worthless degrees.

*dons flame proof suit and holds up large sign saying "joke!"*

Yeah - all of these geography graduates wasting 3 years of their lives studying ethnology or geomorphology....

:wink:
Reply 3
Go for it! Plumbing is actually a great career move....a lot of graduates and workers in other areas have given up their career to become plumbers. There's definitely a lot of money in it as far as i'm aware. There is definitely a need for good plumbers too. Good luck!
Fair enough - few Geographers go into professions where what they studied is directly relevant. Some Geography courses which focus on 21st Century issues like international relations, racism, inequality, AIDS etc (I think LSE is like that) is pretty useful. Others focus too much on 16th century academic theories (ahem). Anyway, at least I'm not exactly wasting my 3 years here.
Reply 5
and as im young i feel i have plenty of time to learn the trade furally, im looking for an apprentiship now, hopefully i will get one and that way i will get great experience by working with trained people.
Reply 6
I dont want to do a career where i sit in an office all day, i like the fact that u get to travel and u work in different enviroments. Im a person who likes to move about, not stand still. Im gona go for it, when i get onto the course i will work hard for 4-5years or however long it is, i have to start at foundation level as i know nothing about plumbing. I feel its a career that is very rewarding and its not like some jobs where you have to do he same thing, i could open my own shop etc. As im starting of young i can get many contacts and even start up my own buisness.

thanks for all you help guys :smile:
Reply 7
Only master plumbers earn >30k, an there are less than 200 of these nationally, I believe you have to pass NVQ level 3 or something like that.

Latest

Trending

Trending