The Student Room Group

Peer physical examination skills ?

How do people feel about medical students examining each another in first year ?

I've heard that a few medical schools ask for guys to take off their shirts and ladies to come in a sports bra so that students can examine one another for exams like neck, heart, lungs etc ?

Would you feel comfortable examining members of the other gender or having them examine you ?
Original post by straynear
How do people feel about medical students examining each another in first year ?

I've heard that a few medical schools ask for guys to take off their shirts and ladies to come in a sports bra so that students can examine one another for exams like neck, heart, lungs etc ?

Would you feel comfortable examining members of the other gender or having them examine you ?

Yeah we've done that and it's quite fun actually because it makes a change from lectures! Not a big deal at all and no different to what you'd see if you went to the beach or a swimming pool.

It is voluntary though, if you don't want to you don't have to. Quite a few of the girls didn't want to take their tops off so it's fine really.
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Yeah we've done that and it's quite fun actually because it makes a change from lectures! Not a big deal at all and no different to what you'd see if you went to the beach or a swimming pool.

It is voluntary though, if you don't want to you don't have to. Quite a few of the girls didn't want to take their tops off so it's fine really.

I see, did the ones who didn't want to take shirt off still manage to practice ?

Also, did they do mixed gender exams or not ?
I see, did the ones who didn't want to take shirt off still manage to practice ?

Also, did they do mixed gender exams or not ?

Yes and yes, they just kinda maneuvered the stethoscope under their clothes. Probably easier to just take your top off, but whatever I guess.

What's making you ask? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
Yes and yes, they just kinda maneuvered the stethoscope under their clothes. Probably easier to just take your top off, but whatever I guess.

What's making you ask? :smile:

Just interested to know as I assume some people would feel uneasy with it.
Yeah we did mixed gender examinations. Nobody was forced to do it if they didn't want to.
Reply 6
We either did single-sex groups or girls just wore a strappy top and worked around that. I imagine there may have been a few who had an issue with that, but it was worked around generally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you feel comfortable examining members of the other gender...

Obviously examining your peers is a bit different and that's why its voluntary, but as a general point: you can't exactly afford to be squeamish about [other people's] nudity in medicine. Its not only heart exams you'l need to do - its rectal exams, testicular and vaginal exams, catheters... i'd be a little concerned about someone who refused to do basic exams on peers!

Having said that, examining around boobs seems to be an eternal source of awkwardness for some people :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending