The Student Room Group

Choosing between a PhD in the UK and Hungary

I am from Algeria, I have received an offer for a self-funded PhD in Computer Science at Anglia Ruskin with a small scholarship reducing my tuition fees to the same amount paid by a British/EU student. The reason why I am a self-funded PhD student is because all the scholarships I have come across are available only for EU and British students or not covering my research area. I have chose to fund my research to realize a childhood dream which is teach at the university level. I have heard many negative things about perusing a self-funded PhD in the UK. Many people say that it affects negatively employability prospects. I do not really understand the point why employers have a bad impression on those who choose to pay for their education.

I have also received an offer to study a PhD at the university of Debrecen. The tuition fees are totally reasonable comparing to Britain and the living cost too. Would you drop Anglia Ruskin for a good university in Hungary?

Kind regards.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its going to be very difficult to get a UK academic job with a PhD from Anglia Ruskin, which is not even close to being a top tier university. Since you are self-funded, you have a big advantage over most students when it comes to PhD admissions - did you try applying to all the major UK universities first?
Reply 2
Also noone looks down on self-funded PhDs, or would even know you were self-funded unless you told them. The reason why doing a self-funded PhD is a bad idea isnt because people will judge you - its because dropping the best part of £50k on a degree which typically doesnt increase your potential salary relative to an undergrad/masters is insane unless you were wealthy.

Outside of the top UK universities, a lecturer in computer science gets about £40k/year if they are lucky, which is about £28k after tax. If you borrowed the money for the PhD then you would end up with about £30-40k debt at around 10% interest, which is absolutely crippling on that low a salary and would essentially destroy your life. If you are wealthy and dont need to borrow the money though then cool.
(edited 9 years ago)
Also, if you will be based at the Cambridge campus of Anglia Ruskin, then do remember that Cambridge is an expensive place to live, and will have a big impact on your finances. I think outside of London it is one of the most expensive places to rent privately? Also general cost of living is high there, when you don't have access to the subsidised stuff that University of Cambridge colleges offer.
Reply 4
Original post by poohat
Also noone looks down on self-funded PhDs, or would even know you were self-funded unless you told them. The reason why doing a self-funded PhD is a bad idea isnt because people will judge you - its because dropping the best part of £50k on a degree which typically doesnt increase your potential salary relative to an undergrad/masters is insane unless you were wealthy.

Outside of the top UK universities, a lecturer in computer science gets about £40k/year if they are lucky, which is about £28k after tax. If you borrowed the money for the PhD then you would end up with about £30-40k debt at around 10% interest, which is absolutely crippling on that low a salary and would essentially destroy your life.

Original post by poohat
Its going to be very difficult to get a UK academic job with a PhD from Anglia Ruskin, which is not even close to being a top tier university. Since you are self-funded, you have a big advantage over most students when it comes to PhD admissions - did you try applying to all the major UK universities first?

Thanks for replying. I have choose Anglia Ruskin for many reasons. The two major reasons, however, are: it has the perfect supervisor for me, with nearly the exact same research interest; second, their tuition fees are low comparing to others and they are giving 1000£ international scholarship. I simply can't afford top 10% British universities.

I am not borrowing money and I am not very rich. My parents accept helping me if I get a Masters in Algeria where the education is free.

Actually it will affect my salary since I had my Masters degree in a modest university in my home country, Algeria. I believe it is not very appreciated by most of the international universities or enterprises. I had the opportunity to study in France (in french) where the education is free. But I wanted to peruse in an English speaking university to vary my language skills. I have the advantage of free education until my Masters degree, therefore, doing a self-funded PhD should be considered reasonable for me. All my concerns are about my employablity prospects. is Anglia Ruskin really bad ?!
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not sure on jobs looking down on UK postgrad degrees to non UK. But I am a UK student who is considering doing my postgrad education in either France or Germany due to how much cheaper (to even free) the tuition is as it would take me years to save up to afford to study in the UK, that and the facilities looked pretty awesome.
I think the most important thing to look for when looking for university is of course the quality of education and facilities but money can be a deciding factor sometimes if you simply can't afford much.
Original post by Mk20
Thanks for replying. I have choose Anglia Ruskin for many reasons. The two major reasons, however, are: it has the perfect supervisor for me, with nearly the exact same research interest; second, their tuition fees are low comparing to others and they are giving 1000£ international scholarship. I simply can't afford top 10% British universities.

Actually it will affect my salary since I had my Masters degree in a modest university in my home country, Algeria. I believe it is not very appreciated by most of the international universities or enterprises. I had the opportunity to study in France (in french) where the education is free. But I wanted to peruse in an English speaking university to vary my language skills. I have the advantage of free education until my Masters degree, therefore, doing a self-funded PhD should be considered reasonable for me. All my concerns are about my employablity prospects. is Anglia Ruskin really bad ?!

Really bad is perhaps a bit harsh, but it's not good. To the extent that it really probably won't do anything for your employability.
Original post by poohat

I think I disagree...At least, from what I've been told, the reason why a self-funded PhD is not ideal is not just because of the amount of money a person has to spend to pay for a PhD (though that's also a good reason to try and avoid self-funding). It's because academia is so competitive that not being able to secure funding for a PhD may be seen in a negative light when applying for post-docs. A big part of being successful in academia is showing that you're able to attract funding, and for most people, getting a funded PhD is the first sign to future employers that they are able to do so. So not having a funded PhD is a bit of a set-back from the start, if you see what I mean.

That's not to say that a person definitely won't be able to continue in academia if they haven't had funding during their PhD, just that it might make things a fair bit more difficult, which is why if a person is deciding between a funded position and a self-funded position, it's generally preferable to go for the funded one. Though in the OP's case it seems as though both positions are self-funded, so I guess their decision can be made on the basis of other factors (like the supervisor, as they've already pointed out).
Reply 8
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Really bad is perhaps a bit harsh, but it's not good. To the extent that it really probably won't do anything for your employability.

Really! they are saying in their website and in the league tables that 9 of 10 students find a job within 6 months after graduation, I believe PhD ought to be one of these 9. I thought it will affect my employability dramatically since my Masters was in a very modest university in Algeria (not really recognized at the international level). At least this one may lead me to a decent job. I would happy earning 24k£ per year!
Original post by Mk20
Really! they are saying in their website and in the league tables that 9 of 10 students find a job within 6 months after graduation, I believe PhD ought to be one of these 9. I thought it will affect my employability dramatically since my Masters was in a very modest university in Algeria (not really recognized at the international level). At least this one may lead me to a decent job. I would happy earning 24k£ per year!

If you're doing a PhD to increase your employability (outside of academia) then, as tomfailinghelp implied, you're doing a PhD for the wrong reason...
Reply 10
Original post by llacerta
If you're doing a PhD to increase your employability (outside of academia) then, as tomfailinghelp implied, you're doing a PhD for the wrong reason...

I am getting confused, I thought doing a PhD in a technical subject will specialize me more. Thus , it may increases the employability because eventually I will be probably one of the few people able to do that specific job. What I meant though, is working in Academia at the international level. I would not mind teaching at some African university or Eastern Europe. Something I would never be able to do with even a French or Algerian PhD. (due to the language and other reasons)
Reply 11
Original post by Mk20
I am from Algeria, I have received an offer for a self-funded PhD in Computer Science at Anglia Ruskin...

When I read Hungary in the topic title, my first thought was it's CEU... Debrecen is okayish, I guess.

Could you defer the offers (or at least one of them), and go for another round of applications?
I'd aim for USA, Canada or Scandinavia, maybe the Netherlands or Germany, where funding situation is better.
You could also use another year to earn a bit more money (even if you win full funding, relocations are costly) and strengthen your application (conferences, publications, research experience).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
I think I disagree...At least, from what I've been told, the reason why a self-funded PhD is not ideal is not just because of the amount of money a person has to spend to pay for a PhD (though that's also a good reason to try and avoid self-funding). It's because academia is so competitive that not being able to secure funding for a PhD may be seen in a negative light when applying for post-docs. A big part of being successful in academia is showing that you're able to attract funding, and for most people, getting a funded PhD is the first sign to future employers that they are able to do so. So not having a funded PhD is a bit of a set-back from the start, if you see what I mean.
).

Getting accepted onto a funded PhD program does not constitute 'attracting funding' in any sense that people care about. You havent attracted funding, you have just been accepted onto a (already funded) PhD.

Conditional on having the same publications, references, and instution quality on your CV, its unlikely that many people would care whether your PhD was funded. Additionally, they wouldnt even know - this isnt something which its typical to mention on your CV anyway. The exception might be if your PhD was funded from a prestigious source (eg you won some national scholarship, or a named departmental/university scholarship), or if it was funded by an industry partner which you had managed to secure yourself. But even in these cases the impact on your CV would be so marginal its not worth stressing about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by poohat
Getting accepted onto a funded PhD program does not constitute 'attracting funding' in any sense that people care about. Conditional on having the same publications, references, and instution quality on your CV, its unlikely that many people would care whether your PhD was funded. Additionally, they wouldnt even know - this isnt something which its typical to mention on your CV anyway.

The exception might be if your PhD was funded from a prestigious source (eg you won some national scholarship, or a named departmental scholarship), or if it was funded by an industry partner which you had managed to secure yourself. But even in these cases the impact on your CV would be so marginal its not worth stressing about.

I don't know if this is a subject-specific thing, but mentioning having a funded-PhD on a CV is a very common thing to do in my field, and it is very much something that an institution would care about when hiring post-docs etc. Of course the other things you mentioned, publications and references and so on, are also important, but in my field, a non-funded PhD would be seen as a negative and a possible warning sign. This is because getting onto a PhD is the easy part, but getting funding is tough. It does demonstrate the ability to be able to secure money and indicates that you're a student of a certain calibre. So in the scenario where two individuals had the same CV in every other way, but one had a funded PhD and the other didn't (and assuming their interviews went exactly the same as well) then I would say that most academics would go for the funded candidate.

However, again, I don't know if this is specific to my area (because funding is relatively scarce, but not so scarce as to be negligible) but as a general rule of thumb, I think that getting funding will always be a good thing.
Reply 14
Original post by Mk20
I am getting confused, I thought doing a PhD in a technical subject will specialize me more. Thus , it may increases the employability because eventually I will be probably one of the few people able to do that specific job. What I meant though, is working in Academia at the international level. I would not mind teaching at some African university or Eastern Europe. Something I would never be able to do with even a French or Algerian PhD. (due to the language and other reasons)

A PhD will open up academic jobs, although from you what you say, the places you would like to work at arent likely to be hugely prestigious so you might want to check that a good UK Masters degree wouldnt be enough to teach there anyway before you commit 3-4 years to a PhD. If your main constaint is money then you should probably have a serious inquiry into whether an Anglia Ruskin PhD would look better than (eg) an Imperial College/Cambridge/etc MSc/MRes, assuming you are able to get in. Getting a good academic job in the UK without a PhD would be very difficult, but other countries use different systems.

Whether the PhD opens up non-academic jobs depends on the field. A computer science PhD will do this, in a sense whcih (eg) a History PhD wouldnt. But institutional prestige does matter quite a bit for indusry, which is what tomfailinghelp was getting at. However things might be different in developing countries where any UK/US PhD may be seen as good regardless of whether its from a top Western university - I dont know enough to say.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by poohat
Getting accepted onto a funded PhD program does not constitute 'attracting funding' in any sense that people care about. You havent attracted funding, you have just been accepted onto a PhD.

Conditional on having the same publications, references, and instution quality on your CV, its unlikely that many people would care whether your PhD was funded. Additionally, they wouldnt even know - this isnt something which its typical to mention on your CV anyway. The exception might be if your PhD was funded from a prestigious source (eg you won some national scholarship, or a named departmental/university scholarship), or if it was funded by an industry partner which you had managed to secure yourself. But even in these cases the impact on your CV would be so marginal its not worth stressing about.

Interesting...I see lots of CVs in the humanities that loudly proclaim their AHRC funded status. I presume that's because funding is scarce in the humanities in the UK? In the US, funding at the PhD level is not generally mentioned on CVs, presumably for the opposite reason (most humanities PhDs are funded).
Reply 16
Maybe it is field-dependent, I've never seen anyone in my area do that.
Reply 17
Original post by poohat
A PhD will open up academic jobs, although from you what you say, the places you would like to work at arent likely to be hugely prestigious so you might want to check that a good UK Masters degree wouldnt be enough to teach there anyway before you commit 3-4 years to a PhD. If your main constaint is money then you should probably have a serious inquiry into whether an Anglia Ruskin PhD would look better than (eg) an Imperial College/Cambridge/etc MSc/MRes, assuming you are able to get in. Getting a good academic job in the UK without a PhD would be very difficult, but other countries use different systems.

Whether the PhD opens up non-academic jobs depends on the field. A computer science PhD will do this, in a sense whcih (eg) a History PhD wouldnt. But institutional prestige does matter quite a bit for indusry, which is what tomfailinghelp was getting at. However things might be different in developing countries where any UK/US PhD may be seen as good regardless of whether its from a top Western university - I dont know enough to say.

Thanks. Everything seems clear for me now.
Original post by Mk20

You have to remember the answers come from UK students, who have much more chances to secure funding (thus not getting a funded place is like only having been accepted on a PHD course due to the money) and who don't want to leave the UK/already have internationally accepted degrees. Wether you are more likely to get a job in Algeria or somewhere else than with the degree, you hold now, is something you probably now better. As the supervisor is often more important than the overall reputation of a university, I would not worry too much.

Original post by Mk20

French PHD would be sufficient, there are plenty of academics who have learned a sufficient amount of English or the language of the country they work in, without having their PHD from that country. Don't just go to the UK, because you think you need it for the English language skills. Of course it is beneficial, but I think there are cheaper and faster ways.

However, again, I don't know if this is specific to my area (because funding is relatively scarce, but not so scarce as to be negligible) but as a general rule of thumb, I think that getting funding will always be a good thing.

In my e.g. my area nearly every PHD is funded, so no, it is not an advantage. The only advantage a funded place has, is that it shows, you have been a competive candidate. Which is also the case in the humanities, not to show, that you can attract funding, but that you were between the top of graduates from the beginning of your PHD.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, this is my insight as a Hungarian moving to the UK & starting undergrad in the UK this year.

The University of Debrecen is a respectable institution in Hungary but it stops there, no one outside the country has ever heard of it. Anglia Ruskin is in the bottom tier of British universities but keep in mind that a British degree from any uni, good or bad, will always be recognized and respected all over the world. You can't compare a bad British uni to a good Hungarian one in terms of prestige. That's unfair, of course, because the quality of teaching etc at the Uni of Debrecen are probably much higher, but the reputation of a country is more important than the reputation of the institution you studied at if you plan to work abroad!

You also have to the consider other factors as well, Hungarians speak Hungarian. The younger population does speak English but on a much lower level than in other Western countries and about 50% of the people you would encounter couldn't speak a word of English to you so consider your social life as well.

I don't see why someone would choose to come to Hungary to study (or live or whatever), the institution issuing your degree will be a random no name one if you work outside Hungary, most people don't even know which continent Hungary is in! I understand that it's cheaper but that's probably not a good reason to choose one country/degree over another.

you can just not take this into consideration if you don't care, but this country just isn't a pleasant place to be right now. The economy is horrible, let me tell you that out of my 20 cousins, 11 have moved to Western countries to find work. I haven't seen half of the people in my apartment building because they're all working abroad. Half of my childhood friends have moved abroad as well, and the ones that are still here are waiting for opportunities to get out of here. Everyone is gone! There are no jobs, very low wages, the minimum wage is about 450 forint which is a little over a British pound. Yes, seriously.

The far right is also growing steadily, it is at a point now where it is an everyday thing and completely acceptable to vote for the 'Jobbik' party now which is the equivalent of the British BNP. A few years ago this would've been unimaginable. There's been a rise of racism (esp against Roma people), anti-semitism etc. This country is a social, economic and cultural wasteland at the moment because of the financial crisis. Which is why I'm moving out!

British degrees are regarded very highly in Hungary as well, most uni students in Hungary wish they could study in Britain but their English isn't good enough or they don't have the money for living costs so they stay in Hungary. People think I'm a God for going to uni in England. Employers would be lining up for me if I came back here after I finished my UK degree (but I'm not coming back).

You said the fees are low, but you have to remember that they are NOT low by Hungarian standards! It's very expensive by Hungarian standards and if you were to work in Hungary, paying back the loans on a uni degree on a Hungarian salary would take years.

It would also be hard for you to get a teaching job at an Eastern European university - courses taught in English are very scarce! It's very unlikely you could find a permanent job as a non-Hungarian speaker or non-local language speaker in an Eastern European country.

So anyways, I would not advise you to choose Hungary over the UK.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending